1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Why doesn't Google Talk work on Wi-fi only?

1. tim.hamilton

tim.hamilton Member

If I don't have access to my mobile data (but do have WiFi connected) Google Talk will not work. Why is this and does anyone know if I can change this, or if Google plans to change this?

This is probably most frustrating to me because I believe Google and Android is better in everyday than Apple, but in this one area that doesn't seem to ring true, because iChat works on WiFi.

Advertisement
  2. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

It must be something in your settings somewhere, it works for me over Wifi.
  3. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I can chat using my wifi only tab 2.
  4. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member

Absolutely works via Wi-Fi. Check your settings.
  5. lucky013

lucky013 Well-Known Member

Works fine for me too. Nexus 7 Wi-Fi only.
  6. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Try other wifi LANs such as libraries, coffee shops, etc. No doubt you'll find the problem to be with your home wifi settings, such as NAT (network address translation).
  7. hiwatt

hiwatt Well-Known Member

If you mean you cannot make calls; download grooveip free and viola, free calls.
  8. mooseberry

mooseberry Well-Known Member

Hiwatt is right grooveip is free and you can still make call using your Google voice number over wifi. very handy if your a cheap a$$ and don't want to buy cell service or broke and got your phone shut off
  9. fdbryant3

He is talking about sending Instant Messages.
  10. tim.hamilton

tim.hamilton Member

Yes instant messages won't work for me on only WiFi. I will try changing settings and post how that went.
  11. hstroph

'Cellos and double-bass too? ;)
  12. tim.hamilton

tim.hamilton Member

Ok, it turns out my Google Talk works on my home WiFi, but not on my campus' WiFi. Does anyone know a way I can get around that on campus? That is where I really need it, because I don't have mobile service on campus.
  13. fdbryant3

It probably isn't working on the campus Wifi because you have to agree to the network Terms of Service. Try opening a webpage in the browser - I'll bet it redirects you to something you have to agree to before you can use the network. After agreeing GTalk will probably work (at least up to the point the system times out and you have to click the agreement again).

The other possibility is that they are blocking the ports that GTalk works over. If that is the case - well you could try talking to campus IT and see if there is a work around or exception list. Beyond that the only solution I can think of that might work is setting up a VPN to get outside of the school network.
  14. tim.hamilton

tim.hamilton Member

Thank you so much. What is a VPN?
  15. lucky013

lucky013 Well-Known Member

Tether with your phone.
  16. tim.hamilton

tim.hamilton Member

I can't tether my phone if I don't have mobile service :-/
  17. fdbryant3

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Basically using software you create an encrypted tunnel to connect to a remote network (this could be a home network, a work network, or there is a number VPN services). Effectively your device becomes a part of that network and all your traffic ends up going through the tunnel and out onto the open Internet using the remote networks connection. Thus bypassing restrictions of the local network.
  18. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

At my work the Wi-Fi doesn't allow me to use Google Talk, is there any way around that?
  19. LiveWallpapers

LiveWallpapers Well-Known Member

Your campus must have the ports blocked. Google Talk is supposed to work on any WiFi internet connection.
  20. hstroph

Your network administrator can block anything according to company policy. Your best bet is to discuss your needs with her/him and see if if they'll allow such connections.

Otherwise, you'll have to use a different wifi AP or your broadband data access.
  21. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

This is a dumb question, but can you change the port being used for Google Talk to one that they aren't blocking?