• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Engadget blows Gizmodo away

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
Right now, Engadget has plenty of coverage of that litigious patent suit fruit company, but still finds room to cover Sony, Samsung, Amazon and Nokia on its front page. Gizmodo OTH, is a 100% over the top Apple gush that might as well have been written by Apples own marketing department (and probably was). Sadly, the Verge is only slightly better than GizAPPLE.

This quote shows how terrible gizmodo is, them talking about Google maps:

Not content to start today's keynote by having Siri tell jokes at Android's expense, Apple went on to unveil new in-house maps that really put the screws to Google. Features like local search (which lets you find local businesses and see Yelp ratings among other things), 3D city views, and flyovers are all longstanding features of Google Maps. Everyone knew this was coming, to the point that Google tried to get out in front of it with its own hastily thrown press conference last week, to announce its 3D initiatives and a man-mounted StreetView camera.

The one thing Apple didn't mention was anything resembling StreetView, which remains a killer feature and one Google has put a ton of investment into. But still. This is a tough loss for the big G. And that's before we even mention the turn-by turn directions read to you by Siri. Speaking of which....

Upvote 0
Engadget used to be just like gizmodo until they got rid of that one apple loving editor, its a lot better now.

I stopped reading Engadget ever since they had that totally biassed article comparing various cameras on phones. The shots that they took with the Nokia N8 (which has a very good camera) look like crap. Like it wasn't even close how bad those shots were compared to all of the other phones. Then they updated the article and said they checked and nothing was wrong.

So, they got a new editor, eh? Is it better now than 9 months ago? Should I include the Engadget feed again in my Pulse app?

Upvote 0
The Verge isn't so bad. I especially like Paul Miller's pieces on being offline for a year. He's a great writer and puts you in a perspective I couldn't imagine.
Paul Miller: Offline | The Verge

I liked that crew when they were Engadget. My comment was about their main page that night being ~99% Apple coverage.

My biggest complaint about the Verge is the page load problem that so many have had. It is regularly complained about in their forum, but immediately dismissed as a figment of imagination every time. It's been this way since the site was in preview. On virtually every computer I've tried with both FF and Chrome, loading the Verge main page slows the entire machine. On older slow systems, it can make the machine useless for a minute or more. Ridiculous for a mere web page and a reason I often avoid going there.

Upvote 0
I just want more Huawei news, it's worse than getting blood out of a stone.
I've had my fill of Gizmodo, reposts and things stolen from elsewhere, the only thing it has going for it is that they don't use that Disqus rubbish, I mean, forcing people to use a Disqus (or anything similar) login in order to post comments, please, get off our planet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones