• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why has sprint left its' biggest 4g markets out in the cold?

I would think that they would roll out in less dense areas to start in order to test. Larger more dense markets would put a strain on a network that is up and coming. Once they get the kinks worked out, the dense markets will roll out. I dont think it will be much longer-- (speculating) end of this year and Q1 2011 is when more of the big markets will start getting 4G.

Upvote 0
i live 25 min from NYC in a heavily populated area.
why has sprint catered to tiny markets a fraction of the size of nyc first???
seems odd to me and was hoping for some insight.
i'm dying to tether with my evo and possibly ditch cable internet....

Because they (Clear) are installing in places 4G will sell, where it has least competition. People in less populated areas might only have basic 1.5Mb/s DSL, IF THAT, to "choose" from without 4G . In NYC3, you already have 8 other ways to get speeds way faster than 4G, why would Clear bother competing there first?

Reactions: stainlessray
Upvote 0
Most of the 4g areas were existing Clearwire so it was easier to upgrade those first..

The upcoming and future markets are new buildouts so they will take longer..

The coverage will be alot better in those areas, so though you have to wait a bit the service will be worth it..

The other existing areas are still being updated to this day..

Upvote 0
Why? Money...takes more money to bring larger areas online. Sprint isnt as big as ATT and Verizon and they must be doing everthing they can right now to get their 4G up....I'm getting snippets of 4G in Los Angeles(the Southbay) so I know it's coming. If you recall their mission statement of 4G coverage before we got our Evos, you'll see they were pretty much on target.

We all knew when we commited to the phone that some folks had 4G..others had to wait.

Upvote 0
i also agree and am enjoying my evo
just annoyed that all the farmers and cattlehands got 4g before nyc area
grrr
Obviously Sprint is run and maintained by "farmers and cattlehands", so they avoided Jersey... :rolleyes:

What you said is would be like me saying that everyone from New Jersey is exactly like what's shown on Jersey Shore. Of course, then again, maybe that show is why Sprint doesn't have 4G in Jersey...

Upvote 0
ok.. here are my .02 cents.. and guesses...

1. Testing in smaller controlled areas.. before hiting the big areas. But I live in Dallas/Ft Worth and we are one of the first to get it.. and we are not small! Still pretty shotty coverage here.

2. I hear that wimax frequency has an issue penetrating walls / materials. So in NYC.. they will have to be more thick with the signal to make it usable.

3. Working out the kicks as they go.. waiting for better tower design to penetrate heavy dense areas.

4. because Sprint like farmers and cattlehands more than cityslickers! :p

Upvote 0
It's not as easy and it's pretty costly to get permits to do proper build-out in larger, metro areas. It takes more towers/antennae in larger metro areas with mutiple obstacles to get consistent, strong Wimax signal. Same for any other broadcast.

In addition, in NYC, I'm pretty sure there's a joint venture of some type with Comcast or other cable company(ies) with Clear because they already have some of the sites/permits needed for rollout. That's one reason why Wimax near the new Mets stadium is one of the first locations to get signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones