why has sprint left its' biggest 4g markets out in the cold?

1. New Jersey

New Jersey Well-Known Member

i live 25 min from NYC in a heavily populated area.
    why has sprint catered to tiny markets a fraction of the size of nyc first???
    seems odd to me and was hoping for some insight.
    i'm dying to tether with my evo and possibly ditch cable internet....

Advertisement
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I would think that they would roll out in less dense areas to start in order to test. Larger more dense markets would put a strain on a network that is up and coming. Once they get the kinks worked out, the dense markets will roll out. I dont think it will be much longer-- (speculating) end of this year and Q1 2011 is when more of the big markets will start getting 4G.
  3. One Beast

One Beast Well-Known Member

I think they should of waited until they Saturated the market more before they advertised 4G speeds....My Cousin works for sprint and says they have agressive plans for 4G Rollout in late Summer we'll see.......Until then the EVO's Great on its own....
  4. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

5. New Jersey

New Jersey Well-Known Member

i also agree and am enjoying my evo
    just annoyed that all the farmers and cattlehands got 4g before nyc area
    grrr
  6. pgus13

pgus13 Well-Known Member

Who cares about NYC?? With all the people there it probably would crash the system and then everyone would be pissed at the world!

LMAO
  7. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Last time i checked, theres no farms in Los Angeles :cool:
  8. Premonition

Premonition Well-Known Member

good things come to those who wait, dont worry it will be here before you know it.
  9. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

Come to South Jersey, anywhere near Philly.....plethora of 4G to go around.....havent seen a farmhand or cattlehand in 20 years.
  10. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

Because they (Clear) are installing in places 4G will sell, where it has least competition. People in less populated areas might only have basic 1.5Mb/s DSL, IF THAT, to "choose" from without 4G . In NYC3, you already have 8 other ways to get speeds way faster than 4G, why would Clear bother competing there first?
    stainlessray likes this.
  11. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

Most of the 4g areas were existing Clearwire so it was easier to upgrade those first..

The upcoming and future markets are new buildouts so they will take longer..

The coverage will be alot better in those areas, so though you have to wait a bit the service will be worth it..

The other existing areas are still being updated to this day..
  12. Also, with new york, it is one massive complex build, which started in fall of 2007 and is still being worked out, but do not worry, sammy makes great networks.
  13. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

They are shooting for 75% in building coverage.

This I have to see..
  14. chicago small city, blink and you may miss it as you pass thru
  15. TMDG

TMDG New Member

I've been picking up 4G signals in a lot of areas of Brooklyn. So its just a matter of time before NYC goes live officially.
  16. from the last 10Q

17. maxnicks

maxnicks Well-Known Member

Sprint has been too busy getting their 4G working in Yakima, Washington. No joke.
  18. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Same with Chicago.
  19. Dutch54

Dutch54 Well-Known Member

Why? Money...takes more money to bring larger areas online. Sprint isnt as big as ATT and Verizon and they must be doing everthing they can right now to get their 4G up....I'm getting snippets of 4G in Los Angeles(the Southbay) so I know it's coming. If you recall their mission statement of 4G coverage before we got our Evos, you'll see they were pretty much on target.

We all knew when we commited to the phone that some folks had 4G..others had to wait.
  20. Misbehavin'

Misbehavin' Well-Known Member

Obviously Sprint is run and maintained by "farmers and cattlehands", so they avoided Jersey... :rolleyes:

What you said is would be like me saying that everyone from New Jersey is exactly like what's shown on Jersey Shore. Of course, then again, maybe that show is why Sprint doesn't have 4G in Jersey...
  21. Sprint is also hurting from a customer persepective. over a million lost customers over the last year, and a ton of swapped out from post paid to pre paid which runs generates about half the revenue per customer.

i need to read the other 3 carriers reports to get a good feel for the industry.
  22. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

ok.. here are my .02 cents.. and guesses...

1. Testing in smaller controlled areas.. before hiting the big areas. But I live in Dallas/Ft Worth and we are one of the first to get it.. and we are not small! Still pretty shotty coverage here.

2. I hear that wimax frequency has an issue penetrating walls / materials. So in NYC.. they will have to be more thick with the signal to make it usable.

3. Working out the kicks as they go.. waiting for better tower design to penetrate heavy dense areas.

4. because Sprint like farmers and cattlehands more than cityslickers! :p
  23. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

I would love to see my Evo run on 4G, but its doing great without it.
  24. Complex757

Complex757 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this also. I think some are test markets or maybe they're easier to update.

Tidewater is more heavily populated than Richmond, but they're doing Richmond now.
  25. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

It's not as easy and it's pretty costly to get permits to do proper build-out in larger, metro areas. It takes more towers/antennae in larger metro areas with mutiple obstacles to get consistent, strong Wimax signal. Same for any other broadcast.

In addition, in NYC, I'm pretty sure there's a joint venture of some type with Comcast or other cable company(ies) with Clear because they already have some of the sites/permits needed for rollout. That's one reason why Wimax near the new Mets stadium is one of the first locations to get signal.