Why I'm Returning My Droid and Going Back to My Blackberry Curve

Last Updated:

1. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my Droid about two weeks ago, and while it's the coolest phone I've ever used, I think I am going to have to go back to my BB Curve. I'm a business user, and this phone isn't optimal for the kind of heavy-duty use I regularly put my Curve through. So here are the pro's and con's in my opinion:

PRO'S:
    - Browsing is phenomenal
    - Apps are great to have, even FB is cool on this
    - Camera and video are awesome

CON'S:
    - BATTERY LIFE IS ABYSMAL! My #1 complaint. Keep it plugged in at all times, or carry multiple spares
    - All keyboards make it very prone to misspellings, and very frustrating
    - Can't bring up a contact and dial as quickly as BB (important for me)
    - No speed dial keys
    - Lack of search feature for email
    - Did I mention the horrid battery life?
    - Ringer volume keeps changing when I don't want it to. Won't stay where I set it
    - When you plug the phone in at night to charge it, it won't stay powered off, meaning you'll get all kinds of unwanted notifications and/or phone calls at all hours
    - I don't konw if I've already mentioned it, but the battery life is just awful. I could count on my Curve staying alive through a full day of phone calls

In my opinion, a lot of things were overlooked in the user interface. I wanted to love this phone, but I just can't. It's making me regret that I switched every time it does something funky, or each time I have to plug it in after just a few hours of use.

I'll try to add to this after I think of more!

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Use whatever phone you think is best for you. That's all that matters.

3. s-one

s-one Well-Known Member

Yea true use whichever works for you but I gotta say this:

Ewwww!!!

There is no way in heck would I ever go back to my BB Curve. My Droid's battery life is superb and typing I've gotten used to. Since Android is open source and 2.0 is fairly new, if an app is not out there someone will design something of what's lacking. My Droid makes my Curve a toy out of the caveman days.

Good luck!

4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Users need to take the time and patience to learn to use a new phone! 80% of these issues can be solved with phone functions i.e., search function, turning off sound (rotate slider to left) at night, all keyboards take time to acclimate to, speed dial folder, etc. As far as battery life goes maybe a replacement is in order.

5. quixand

quixand Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

I charge my phone every 2 or 3 days...with heavy use.

So....yeah. You're a nub.

6. realchosen1

realchosen1 Member

CON'S:
    - BATTERY LIFE IS ABYSMAL! My #1 complaint. Keep it plugged in at all times, or carry multiple spares ( 12 hours for me, suggest user error)
    - All keyboards make it very prone to misspellings, and very frustrating
    - Can't bring up a contact and dial as quickly as BB (important for me)( you can set quick dial through widgets, again user error)
    - No speed dial keys (same as above user error)
    - Lack of search feature for email(magnifing glass that brings up search mail not enough? Really)
    - Did I mention the horrid battery life?(user error, it has a battery analyzer that tells you what is draining battery)
    - Ringer volume keeps changing when I don't want it to. Won't stay where I set it(change your sleep mode to 30 second)
    - When you plug the phone in at night to charge it, it won't stay powered off, meaning you'll get all kinds of unwanted notifications and/or phone calls at all hours ( use that button on the side called volume and turn it off)
    - I don't konw(-5 spelling) if I've already mentioned it, but the battery life is just awful. I could count on my Curve staying alive through a full day of phone calls...

7. chiefsfan

chiefsfan Member

Coming from a curve 8330, this was also a big issue for me. I use two options. One, switch your phone into airplane mode. You can do this by holding down the power button until you get the options menu.

Two, put your ringer on silent and enable the power control widget on one of your home screens. The second option on the right allows you to disable the device from syncing anything.

I usually just turn syncing off on my droid, put phone on silent and set my alarm. When I wake up, I just re-enable the syncing. I wish the Droid had the ability to turn off/on at scheduled times like the curve.. but these are the useful workarounds I'm using.

8. Ainvar

Ainvar Active Member

Wow..........

I will never go back to a RIM device until they do a major overhaul in the company and get the quality back in their devices in both hardware and software period. I have been using them since 1999 and they have failed me in the past 2-3 years. The curve was the last best phone they have made in quality.

Now that is out of the way.

The droid is a very nice device. The os is pretty solid and I have very few issues with it. The MMS one is my biggest one personally.

Battery life is great. Unless you have the screen on full brightness or the gps active WITH maps running. The the battery life is horrible.

As a business user in the DOD environment I use my droid to get my emails from my company to do my job I was hired to do. It is the most important thing I have in my work arsenal.

True push email only works with gmail or gmail hosted accounts. But I get my work email a number of ways. in the generic email app and then I have gmail checking it just for backup. BIS nor BES was 100% either.

Search function is awesome it is the lower right button and it works well, maybe you need to use it more and get used to it.

Crazy profiles? Sounds jumping everywhere, never had this issue and the phone goes in my pocket all the time. I have a 2 min timeout but something I do before it goes in my pocket is that I hit the lock button. It is a habit for me from back in the BB days so it is not like i needed to learn something all over again.

Notifications and what not at night? Are you seriously kidding me? Turn sounds all the way down. Check out a free program call locales. Better yet research research research. Android is light years ahead of RIM in every which way except for true push email but that is not very far behind IMO.

Before you are so quick to judge the device due to not understanding how it is used or how it functions cause you are use to RIM OS and nothing else for a phone. Unlearn what you think you know and come at it with an open mind. You have issues with your device then research (search) to see if it is you or an actual problem.

I think you should wait till day 29 before you make your final decision. I apologize if I have come accross a little harsh. But I think you are making a huge mistake on returning your droid and going back to the curve.

I really hope you search around a little more and see how easy it is to this device and how the marketplace expands it to new levels.

9. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

There are a ton of different ways to adjust your notifications.. I'm sure there are apps out there that change your "profile" based on time and or gps location..

Battery life, you've got some sort of issue.. Yeah, it is a little crappy, but YouTube - Motorola Droid: Battery Life Test 7 hours with screen on and playing music ?? Not too shabby

Quick dials.. You can just make shortcuts on your screen to do the same thing.. Either a direct dial, or have it pull up the contact.. Quickly dialing, press the search button and start typing the persons name.. It's quite snappy

Try installing PandaHome (91 PandaHome) free.. It gives you two additional "blinds" on the left and the right that you could add a bunch of common contacts to.. I think you'll like it..

Hope you fall back in love with your droid, but good luck either way !!
    Remember, the droid is still a baby, BB sucked at first too !!

-=< aaron >=-

10. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Well-Known Member

i can literally be on the phone for almost all of my 10 hour work day and not have to charge it. I have read a lot about people having short battery life, maybe if they turned off things like wifi, bluetooth, and gps when they are not using them they would actually get some life out of their battery. I actually leave gps on and toggle bluetooth and wifi when i need them and still have battery at the end of my day. (did i mention that it is a 10 hour work day?) I also keep my screen on the auto setting for brightness. maybe he has his screen on as bright as it will go?

11. Ainvar

Ainvar Active Member

I am using the phone heavy all day long, gtalk, sms/mms, emails, calls, pandora radio. I charge it as much as my bb which I did all but pandora due to battery life. I was using the curve then storm and then the tour. Now the droid.

Notifications work well for me. they are all app specific. Not hard to understand at all. Yes it is not all in one place but big deal. You use app to do what you need how hard is it to go into settings and change the notifications for that app. Different OS different rules. It acts more like a real OS then just a messaging platform.

Contacts are like the BB, we just go lazy from the dial from screen function (I miss it yes) but it is not that hard to dial from the droid. Specially with the favorites (starred) tab.

keyboard works very verry well for me. I only wished they made the spacebar wider and used the to unused keys to do that on the bottom row.

12. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Yes really. Battery life gets better after a good week of recharges (a few of those full drains). Whether those 80% of fixes work for the user is subjective. This coming from a Moto Q user with 3rd party extended batteries.

FWIW, when my batteries start "getting worse", I put them in the freezer overnight, let defrost and dry, and they resume expected longevity. This is "after" conditioning and established performance.

13. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

OP sounds like a blackberry fanboy who has never even held a Droid.

1.) Battery life is nothing short of phenomenal.
    2.) Quick dial icons are easy to create
    3.) Ringer volume changing is his own fault
    4.) Silent mode = no notifications in the middle of the night
    5.) Email search feature is excellent

Seriously, how ignorant can one person be? He listed a bunch of "cons" that only prove he's clueless, not that the phone is flawed.

Good riddance :rolleyes:

14. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

I am getting about 9 hours (down to 20%) on my battery. I play four hours of podcasts and surf a lot. I only talk on the phone about 20 minutes per day. For me the battery life is amazing! Considering my 3Gs only got about 5 hours before dying. A "Curve" ....Yuck

15. square

square Well-Known Member

use the "word" "pwn", and your opinion is automatically meaningless. yes, really.

16. realchosen1

realchosen1 Member

You obviously never used a blackberry.

1. Droid battery, good. Curve battery, stupendous.
    2. BB speed dialing pwns the droid's
    3. BB notification management pwns all.
    4. see 3.
    5. Are you really comparing droid email to bb email? Really?

Really? :rolleyes:

Comparing the curve to the droid is like comparing a bag phone to a Razor
    Storm speed dialing was not any better than droid widget, and there was not even an option for that with Blackberry
    Email push is about same
    Notifications? same both vibrate and I check..

Droid versus Storm is a much better device...

If all you want is email and a phone stay with a curve! if you want something dynamic then welcome aboard...

17. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

+1 hahaha

18. WindsorFox

WindsorFox Member

I'm sorry, but the battery life appears to be totally abysmal on this phone to me. I'm coming from a 2G iPhone which I all but abhor. I never turned that phone off unless it was a specific reboot on occasion. I plugged it in to charge once maybe twice in a week. Last night I unplugged my new Droid and put it beside the bed at about 11Pm and it has sat there doing nothing since. At 11:40 this morning I just looked and the battery indicator was yellow. That's as bad as the old Moto 1000 I had for Nextel years ago.

19. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

Operator error. ....

20. Dan_Droid

Dan_Droid Banned

21. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member

These two things drive me crazy too. I hate setting my volume to high and putting my phone in my pocket and an hour later seeing that I missed several important calls because the ringer turned itself off again. :mad:

And the stupid auto-correct function when typing is a pain in the butt too.

22. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I too am considering returning my Droid, I love the droid but I am on my 3rd phone and this one the bttry lasts maybe 4 hrs with little to no use. Everything is turned off (gps,wifi,ect) screen is set to lowest possible. Tech support has again advised me to take it back and try again. My screen will go black and not come back on, I can't hang up the call I am on without taking out the bttry, I can't even enter my voicemail code at times. It isn't all the time but it is getting more frequent. I wanna love this phone ,but it is making it very hard for me.

23. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

OP, or anyone else ill trade you my bb curve for your droid lol.

24. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

My wife has an 8830. And she is dying to get rid of it to get a droid.

How does the speed dial "pwn" the droids? I have 3 speed dials on my Droid. One click on the screen and it's dialing. How can it get any better than that?

And I am tired of the battery comparisons. Sure, my razr that I had before the Droid could keep a charge for 3-4 days of phone calls. But then again, it couldn't do a 10th of what the Droid does. My wife's Blackberry pales in comparison of features, and at the time, it was the best blackberry on the market.

And email, if you set it up correctly, it works great on the Droid. I have my yahoo, gmail, and work exchange accounts all working perfectly.

It's all about reading what the phone can do. Many people just want to go out and buy the "next big thing" without doing research. And this is what happens when you don't do your research.

25. SimonSays

SimonSays Active Member

Heartily agree, my first 2 days of use were pretty bad, but after that third cycling of the battery it got much better. I also found that keeping the brightness on the lowest setting (easily done with the power widgit) whenever possible really stretched the battery life. It takes a lot of juice to power that big, beautiful screen.