• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why im returning my incredible..28 days later..

Goodbye. Neither HTC nor google are going to care about 1 post down here. Send them an email.

After 28 days with the phone I have some thoughts on it
I love it to death but a few issues make me say goodbye ...for NOW...
this is my 4th smart phone and 8th phone in the last 10 years.
I have had everything from blackberry to iphone to sony ericson and nokia

I expected a few things from my phone for criteria:
To make and receive quality calls
Solid build
Battery last 2-3 days with medium use
Durable
Great sound quality for calls and music
a good camera capable of 2.3 MP or more
3G speeds
Wifi
GPS
Great browser/internet
great keyboard physical or on screen

I came from symbian S60 OS
let me say after 28 days i LOVE android completely and totally, my phone next and future will be android only. I love the O/S

I do not however like my hardware its on.
I am returning my DIC because of the following reasons:
Battery life:
lasts a day with Auto brightness, ALL SYNCs OFF. 3G on. 150 texts, no calls. 30 mins of internet. 45 minutes of padnora streaming. No camera or GPS or Wifi ALL OFF

I know I can get a bigger battery but I am sorely disappointed with battery life. Maybe a Future OTA will fix this. I have tried all fix's
I also think having to unplug the plug and turn it off every night to fully charge the battery because the hardware/software wont fully charge it correctly sucks. Maybe OTA will fix it too. I realize for a smartphone of these specs battery will suck. but it should make it a full day.

Call Quality: Mine sucks. flat out. if my signal is -51 db or -101 db. zero bars to full bars. City or country. 3G or not. Earpeice or loudspeaker or bluetooth or headset. EVDO C or EVDO C. My call quality SUCKS. I know its NOT verizon becuase a phone right next to it from 2006 on the same network gets crystal clear calls.

Maybe an OTA update will fix this.

Camera quality:
I came from a 4 year old sony ericson with 3.2 MP and a xenon flash that took pictures leaps and bounds above my 8 MP HTC..Flash on or off. screen tap focus or optical button focus. Daylight or nightlight. My camera quality isnt anything decent. Also video quality is choppy and not smooth or high quality. Both are lacking dearly.

Built in mic/Earpeice:
Both my internal mic and ear piece suck. What I mean by this is that when I talk on the phone, record memo's, record videos or leave voice messages to myself. The quality sucks. This may be HTC hardware at fault or software, But the nexus one and all my other past phones are WAY above this quality audio wise. The earpiece is too quiet and sounds distorted.

Maybe OTA can fix this as well.

This phone does SO much well. and Android is to thank for this.
I love Sense interface and I love the style and design of this phone.
But those things keep me from keeping it for now.
I know HTC is coming out with a update to address a lot of these issues...and root will help too...
but This is my 5th replacement phone and new incredibles wont be shipped for another few weeks after my 30 day point is up.

I am returning this phone and using a 8 year old LG for pure voice calls/text till the new Incredible ship and HTC updates them OTA to fix the battery/call quality. Or Ill wait for the Motorola shadow to come out and buy that. Both have android 2.1 and I wouldn't chose anything else.

The incredible is a great phone but falls short of being what I expected. Android OS however is amazing.

Upvote 0
With that being said, these "why I returned my Incredible" threads are pretty much pointless.

I disagree - kinda. I've not got the DI yet because it's been out of stock and I didn't want to mail order and I've been busy blah blah

My point is I try to keep up on this forum so I know the good and bad of what people have experienced - when I (hopefully sometime soon) find an actual DI in my local VZW store, I'll be able to get it and then check out the 'issues' to see if they effect me or not.. no, great. Yes, return in 30 if needed

Getting info (even from an admittedly small sample set) has been really useful for dealing with issues my Eris and I appreciate that chance here

Flame away :)

Reactions: gish
Upvote 0
I am returning mine because I don't think we will have root. I know there was supposed to be some progress made but from reading xda it does not look like it worked.

Without root you are stuck waiting (...and waiting...) for HTC/Verizon to decide to send you updates. That is not good enough for me. Android moves fast and I need a phone that can move with it.

I am not going to T-Mo or dropping nearly $600 on a phone (N1) so I will retreat to my trusty WinMo phone until something better comes along which I am sure it will.

You bought a phone with the hopes that somebody out there would be able to exploit the OS without knowing if it could really be done and now you're upset about it? lol, that's funny.

Upvote 0
lol if you are complaining about dropped calls with Verizon then AT&T is going to be a nightmare.

well if the signal level is the same then there will be a lot more dropped calls but a carrier does better than the other carrier in certain areas.

At my house it doesnt matter the carrier, signal sucks. Damn mountains.
The con of living tucked away in a mountain
poolpanoramic1.jpg

Upvote 0
I love all of these people going nuts over the battery life under normal use.

If you use your phone for a few hours a day (phone calls, texts, some web, emails, etc) I have had no problems going form 6am until 10pm with at least 15% or more life left.

Whats the real need for having 2-3 days of a charge (which you won't get from just about any newage phone you use often)??? Are you living in a tent or something? Regardless of where you live or if you must travel for work etc...there are outlets everywhere.

Am I missing something? I charge my phone everynight. If you travel a lot...use a car charger. If your out and about and a businessman theres a 80% chance you have a laptop. So use the supplied USB charger.

I get the fact that no one wants to have a phone that needs charging every 4 hours but thats really not the case here. The OP makes it seem like you can't take this phone off the charger.

And why even tell us your leaving for another phone? Should we be responding to you begging to come back to us?

Reactions: nick77 and necosino
Upvote 0
The OP needs the new Droid Magnifico from Verizon, it is made out of unobtanium, has 25 inch super AMOLED screen that can shrink down to 4.1 inches to fit nicely in your pocket, runs on a 4.8 Ghz Intel i15 processor, 128GB of memory, 4 TB internal phone storage with a 32 TB SuperTinyMicroSD card, with a battery that supports 1 Month of heavy use without a recharge, and weighs no more than a pencil. This phone also has a 27.2 Megapixel Cam on it with 2160P recording and output, and last but not least 7.1 Dolby surround sound. Retails for only $49.99 w/ no contract.

.....Also running Android 5.8 Tiramisu

Upvote 0

Solid build
Durable
3G speeds
Wifi
GPS
Great browser/internet

let me say after 28 days i LOVE android completely and totally, my phone next and future will be android only. I love the O/S

Battery life:
lasts a day with Auto brightness, ALL SYNCs OFF. 3G on. 150 texts, no calls. 30 mins of internet. 45 minutes of padnora streaming. No camera or GPS or Wifi ALL OFF

I know I can get a bigger battery but I am sorely disappointed with battery life. Maybe a Future OTA will fix this. I have tried all fix's
I also think having to unplug the plug and turn it off every night to fully charge the battery because the hardware/software wont fully charge it correctly sucks. Maybe OTA will fix it too. I realize for a smartphone of these specs battery will suck. but it should make it a full day.

Call Quality: Mine sucks. flat out. if my signal is -51 db or -101 db. zero bars to full bars. City or country. 3G or not. Earpeice or loudspeaker or bluetooth or headset. EVDO C or EVDO C. My call quality SUCKS. I know its NOT verizon becuase a phone right next to it from 2006 on the same network gets crystal clear calls.

Camera quality:
I came from a 4 year old sony ericson with 3.2 MP and a xenon flash that took pictures leaps and bounds above my 8 MP HTC..Flash on or off. screen tap focus or optical button focus. Daylight or nightlight. My camera quality isnt anything decent. Also video quality is choppy and not smooth or high quality. Both are lacking dearly.

Built in mic/Earpeice:
Both my internal mic and ear piece suck. What I mean by this is that when I talk on the phone, record memo's, record videos or leave voice messages to myself. The quality sucks. This may be HTC hardware at fault or software, But the nexus one and all my other past phones are WAY above this quality audio wise. The earpiece is too quiet and sounds distorted.

I know HTC is coming out with a update to address a lot of these issues...and root will help too...
but This is my 5th replacement phone and new incredibles wont be shipped for another few weeks after my 30 day point is up.

I am returning this phone and using a 8 year old LG for pure voice calls/text till the new Incredible ship and HTC updates them OTA to fix the battery/call quality. Or Ill wait for the Motorola shadow to come out and buy that. Both have android 2.1 and I wouldn't chose anything else.

The incredible is a great phone but falls short of being what I expected. Android OS however is amazing.

When I returned my Inc the Verizon lady said that they have been getting a lot of them back. She also said that they would be getting a better Android handset in a few months, Im thinking she means the Moto Shadow. She went on to say most of the phones are coming back for battery issues. The battery didn't bother me much it was the poor call quality and signal that was the deal breaker for me. Overall I think the Inc is a very good handset.

Upvote 0

Solid build
Durable
3G speeds
Wifi
GPS
Great browser/internet

Battery life:

Camera quality:

Built in mic/Earpeice:

The only point I can agree with you on is the battery. The battery life on this phone sucks, period, and for that reason alone I could see someone (not me) wanting to return it.

As for call quality all I can say is you must be smoking something, calls sound crystal clear and loud on my end. I've queried several people and they all said that I sounded great... even when walking on downtown streets with strong winds and lots of background noise. The camera is really good for a phone. The only issue I have with the camera is it doesn't handle lighting well and often pictures require some brightness adjustments after the fact. I've only done one simple video so I can't say much other than the one I did looked good and was smooth.

Upvote 0
I am returning mine because I don't think we will have root. I know there was supposed to be some progress made but from reading xda it does not look like it worked.

Without root you are stuck waiting (...and waiting...) for HTC/Verizon to decide to send you updates. That is not good enough for me. Android moves fast and I need a phone that can move with it.

I am not going to T-Mo or dropping nearly $600 on a phone (N1) so I will retreat to my trusty WinMo phone until something better comes along which I am sure it will.

They will achieve root, Trust me with all the skilled Devs working on this they will get it. I had an eris and we waited forever most of the Devs gave up and that even still got root.

Upvote 0
Well first things first. I'm not going to read the post because I know most of it isn't true and is user fault.

I'm just upset because I thought this was going to be about the breakdown of society following the accidental release of a highly contagious "rage" virus that focuses upon the struggle of four survivors to cope with the ruination of the life they once knew.

Btw this isn't a new member. It's the most widely known troll on the forum. I won't say names but the regulars know who this is.

The more you feed him the more he gets off so just let it slide into page ... oblivion. I'm sure most of you aren't going to read it like me.

Reactions: upther
Upvote 0
You bought a phone with the hopes that somebody out there would be able to exploit the OS without knowing if it could really be done and now you're upset about it? lol, that's funny.

No. I bought a phone so I could try Android out knowing that during my 30 day trial period several things would happen:

- we would learn all about Froyo
- have a reasonable estimate from HTC on when we can expect an update
- give the devs some time to see about root.

All of those things happened. I enjoyed Android and believe in the future of the platform. Froyo was detailed and looks great. HTC says we can expect it by the end of the year. Root on the DI appears to be difficult.

If I am going to sign away two years of my life, I need to be sure that the device I am getting can handle that. Without root I am not sure that any Android device can.

Upvote 0
With the exception of the battery life, I'm really happy with all the stuff the OP mentioned. Call quality has been great for me, even with no bars. Pic quality has been excellent, and I haven't had any problems with the microphone.

Assuming you find your dream phone that holds a charge for three weeks, takes professional-quality photos, doubles as a top-of-the-line camcorder AND has land-line call quality, cheers to you. Since that phone does not exist, I'll stick with my Incredible.

Upvote 0
When I returned my Inc the Verizon lady said that they have been getting a lot of them back. She also said that they would be getting a better Android handset in a few months, Im thinking she means the Moto Shadow. She went on to say most of the phones are coming back for battery issues. The battery didn't bother me much it was the poor call quality and signal that was the deal breaker for me. Overall I think the Inc is a very good handset.

That's odd considering I am still waiting for a phone to be returned to my Verizon store so I can get a new back off of one of them (the H in HTC fell off the back). I have been waiting almost 3 weeks and after calling again the other day asking if they received any back yet the Verizon rep says "We haven't had ANY of these phones returned..."

Sounds fishy that you are experiencing the exact opposite.

Upvote 0
The only thing i can agree with is the battery life, BUT it's a smartphone, and I expect the shitty battery life. If i actually cared about a phone lasting 2-3 days then i would not have gotten what I did. The last 4 phones I have had were smart phones, beginning with the PPC 6700 a few years ago and none are able to even start to compare with the DI.

Upvote 0

Solid build
Durable
3G speeds
Wifi
GPS
Great browser/internet

Battery life:

Camera quality:

Built in mic/Earpeice:

Seriously what do you expect because once again it is just a phone? You should be happy your battery lasts a day when others cant even make it half as long with their battery. People are not going to care if you return it they will be glad because then they can get one instead of having to wait for one. You dont like the phone thats ok no need to make a thread about it there is already a bunch of the same i am returning my incredible because threads.

Upvote 0
The OP needs the new Droid Magnifico from Verizon, it is made out of unobtanium, has 25 inch super AMOLED screen that can shrink down to 4.1 inches to fit nicely in your pocket, runs on a 4.8 Ghz Intel i15 processor, 128GB of memory, 4 TB internal phone storage with a 32 TB SuperTinyMicroSD card, with a battery that supports 1 Month of heavy use without a recharge, and weighs no more than a pencil. This phone also has a 27.2 Megapixel Cam on it with 2160P recording and output, and last but not least 7.1 Dolby surround sound. Retails for only $49.99 w/ no contract.

.....Also running Android 5.8 Tiramisu

i heard about that phone. unobtanium, classic... tiramisu is awesome!

Reactions: Randino
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones