Why is ESE81 better than ESE53 or ERE25?

Last Updated:

1. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I understand that it is an update designed specifically for the Droid, but apart from having a Droid specific baseband (which can be flashed separately) is there actually any reason to base ROMs on ESE81 instead of ESE53 or ERE25?

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Well ERE25 and ESE53 are both designed specifically for the Droid also. The difference in ERE and ESE is ERE is for research and engineering where as ESE is ready for public release. ESE53 had a ton of improvement over ERE25 but I don't think ESE81 is much if any different then ESE53.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

On a subjective note (been playing with it for a few hours), what little has so far been done with ESE81, it seems to be running fast and stable (appears a little faster than 53 when running at the same speeds) and has been downward compatible with the ESE53 kernels.

4. nstallion

Am I right in thinking that ROMs such as Cyanogen, Bugless, et al have modified the code of their base builds to make them faster and more stable though? I mean I suppose developers working for Motorola should probably be able to do a better job with what they have at their disposal, but as of right now is ESE81 inherently better? In other words from a speed and stability standpoint is flashing Pete's rooted ESE81 the right thing to do if you are already running another ROM?

So many questions... sorry :X

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Cyanogen's ROMs are built straight from the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) tree. I don't think Moto's releases have much to do with him.

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of statements on how Cyanogen & Koush are different from Bugless, Simply Stunning, Ultimate, etc.

More on why Koush doesn't make his own drivers, etc., as well...

7. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Great stuff, redflea! Would you mind if I asked where you saw those posts? It seems like the kind of forum that would be worth adding to my daily browsing!

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

those posts are from cyanogenmod.com/forum/

9. nstallion

Here's another question. Since Cyanogen is based on AOSP, how much can its functionality diverge from what we would get with Motorola based roms? Could it eventually become almost a different device? I'm not sure how flexible Android is as far as how it looks and what it does.

I understand it's limited by hardware, and how easy it is to figure out how to write code to interface with the hardware, especially considering the fact that I'm sure a lot of that stuff is proprietary and only Motorola knows the ins and outs of everything.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, I just thought this would be an interesting discussion.

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I'd assume it depends on how much Motorola diverges from AOSP. I mean, if they take most of their stuff from there and so does Cyanogen, they can't get TOO different besides a few tweaks under the hood.

11. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

It's funny. I was just cruising the Cyanomod forum and someone asked if 5.0.5.6 was ESE81 based and can they install over their OTA 2.1 - of course someone gave a definite yes. No one questioned it. I can only imagine how that install will go....

12. nstallion

I think the confusion comes with the fact that in "About Phone" it gives a version number (I think it used to be ERE25, maybe ESE81 now). Someone mentioned this is because some of the hardware in the phone requires a version number.