Why is everything so damn confusing?

Last Updated:

1. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was under the assumption that even though I'm under a 2 year contract with my iPhone, once I go into RS to get my EVO and all that they'd be able to port my number over no problem while also cancelling my contract at the same time. I just called RS to double check everything and they said that's not possible and that AT&T owns my number so I'll have to get a completely new number. Last year when I tried out the Pre, they ported my number just fine even though I cancelled my contract a month early (unknowingly. I thought I was out of contract). Anyone have any other info on this?

Advertisement
  2. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

3. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

thats 100% bs they dont own the number you do. there just not wanting to do the transfer for you. you have to pay the etf of course.

4. Sherman901

Do I have to pay the ETF before being able to port the number?

I'm not going to fight too hard to keep my current number, I just find it a little frustrating. I've been trying to get everyone to switch my number to my Google number anyway.

Also, is it possible to cancel my contract and pay the ETF but still have service until Friday?

5. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

When I ported out of AT&T last year, to return to Sprint, they charge you the ETF on your final bill. The act of porting shuts down your account, etc.

6. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

It would be easier at the Sprint store, but they should still be able to atRS. Hopefully you get a helpful and competent employee.

7. trailmixmn

trailmixmn Member

If someone at a RS store ever tells you something you know not to be true. Ask for the manager. And if they are not present make sure you get their name and leave them a message. I work in retail and some people are just lazy or doesn't care to help the customer to the fullest. Make sure you let the store manager know that this person treated you wrong. Plus that gives you leverage to ask for some discounts.

8. wega1985

wega1985 Active Member

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but those results seem to point to problems porting numbers inbound TO AT&T, not out to another carrier.

Have you called AT&T to ask them? I remember a while back Nextel had "number guard" that you had to take off to allow porting. I would call AT&T and make sure the number is portable so you know before going to Radio Shack. As far as I know, almost any wireless and landline number is portable.

The right order for the smoothest transition would be, port the number, wait for the port to finalize (i.e. can make and receive calls with that number on new line, not just one-way), then call and cancel previous line of service.

9. Sherman901

Well I'm just gonna be closing my line, not the account itself. Is it possible to just pay the ETF and cancel early but still keep the number or no?

10. wega1985

wega1985 Active Member

AFAIK, Yes, as long as the line is open and active when you attempt to port it. If you cancel 1st, the number could be gone.

11. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Your Service Provider

So you understand your rights here. It is federal law that you are allowed to port from and to any carrier.

echoota, beoti and wega1985 like this.
  12. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Absolutely right. And porting should be done at the lastest within a few hours. Refusing to port is against regulations and is the one thing the FCC has handled efficiently. There really is no grounds for which a carrier can refuse to port.

Do not cancel your account first though. Otherwise, you may not be eligible to port the number. Porting definitely has to be done first.

Porting landline to wireless isn't as quick though. Same process, but I think they give the carriers days to do the porting instead of hours.

RiverOfIce likes this.
  13. Sherman901

Wow, thank you for the information! The dude at RS was straight up lying to me!

14. dkotoric

dkotoric Well-Known Member

yes but you also don't have to port you number over at RS, you can go get your evo and they can give you a new number and when you get home you can call sprint and they will port you number over and get rid of you new number RS gave you.

RiverOfIce likes this.
  15. RedsGT

RedsGT Well-Known Member

I'd rather do it this way. How sure are you that this works?

EDIT: And doesn't cost extra.

16. wega1985

wega1985 Active Member

It definitely works. When I recommend people switch to Sprint who aren't sure about coverage, I have them try the service with a temporary number, then port their old number over once they're sure. There isn't any cost associated with this, in my experience. It's very straighforward, and as previously discussed, usually very quick when porting from another mobile #.