Why is everything so reliant on the sd card?General

Last Updated:

1. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We all know flash memory has limited read/write cycles before the card will be ruined. Is this the reason everything is written and deleted from the card so much? Make us buy new cards?

Advertisement
  2. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Is it really that big of a deal? I had the same SD card for years without a problem. What other memory could they use, a hardrive? On a mobile device the moving mechanical parts would be trashed long before a flash memory card.

3. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

This is why I bought a class 6 SD Card. Phone performs better all-around. Love it.

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Flash memory used today can handle 100,000 write cycles - that should last for a lot of data writing. I believe that when writes are done, internal circuitry tries to lay down the sectors in a way that spread the writes to all of the card, rather than continuing to write small amounts of data to volatile data files that receive lots of writes, so that those files will not cause a premature write failure in that spot that affects the entire card.

5. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

At least they let us use a replacable memory. Think about all the ticked off users on iPhones when they run into issues...

Should you run into any storage issues, you pop out the card, copy what you can onto a new one, and pop it back in.