Why is Google Maps always running?

1. dinomosin

dinomosin Member

No matter how many times I go into running apps and Force Stop Google Maps it starts back up again. I never have GPS turned on and don't use Google Maps but it is always running and killing my battery. I do not want to root my LG Motion just to delete or freeze this app. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Doesn
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

It's not to do with updates. I always have the latest version, and it doesn't do that for me either.

You don't use Latitude do you? I expect that would make Maps run (it's all part of the one package).
  4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Never have, probably never will, don
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I meant dinomosin, not you - I'd have bet heavily that you didn't ;)

I don't think you can remove it without removing Maps - I'd have done so long ago if I could. Like you I've never used it, so was wondering whether that might be what was causing this problem.
  6. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

You can use Gemini App Manager and disable autorun on maps.
  7. dinomosin

dinomosin Member

I don't have Latitude on my phone. I don't think I ever have. I uninstalled all that ICS would let me when I got my phone 1 month ago but don't think Latitude was one of them.

Can Gemini do that without being rooted. If so I will get it even if I have to buy it.
  8. Pookeysgirl

Pookeysgirl Well-Known Member

Google Maps was always running on my phone even though I've never used it. I disabled it, can you not do that on your phone?
  9. dinomosin

dinomosin Member

All I can do is "Force Stop," "Uninstall Updates" or a box below that says "Clear Data"
  10. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

That's what I did. Free program. Stops maps from starting automatically upon boot, but doens't stop it from being available when you need it. I hope OP pays attention to your response.
  11. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I use maps, so I can't check this, but if you can disable it in ICS, then you will have to uninstall updates before it will allow you to disable. The button that says Uninstall updates changes to Disable if there are no updates installed.

BigRedGonzo
    Parshooter likes this.
  12. flyfoam

flyfoam Well-Known Member

I just installed Gemini and it requires rooting to control the Autoruns. The original poster had requested something that does not require rooting. Is there any other way to disable maps and only use it when you need it?
  13. Pookeysgirl

Pookeysgirl Well-Known Member

I had to do all 3 of these things before it would let me disable it. I never use it so I didn't mind losing the updates.
  14. Poloki

Poloki Well-Known Member Contributor

You have to uninstall all updates before you can disable the app. Provided, of course if you are on Ice Cream Sandwich or above. On ICS, disable is like freeze, but you don't have to be rooted.
  15. dinomosin

dinomosin Member

I am the OP and I appreciate all of the responses. I downloaded Gemini App Manager and sadly can't remove Google Maps from Autorun without rooting (which I don't want to have to do.) I did however use it to kill the process of Google Maps 24 hours ago and it hasn't started back up but I would expect the next time I reset my phone I will have to do this again.

I really don't want to get rid of Google Maps for the very rare chance I need it for directions. If I am able to disable Google Maps by uninstalling updates will it be simple to re-enable it again. I don't see where any of the bloatware I disabled when I got my phone is able to be "undisabled?"
  16. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Disabled apps appear WAAAAAY down at the very bottom of the list under settings>apps>all

You have the option there to enable them again.

Google maps always runs for me too. I don't know that its "maps" so much as 'location services" that are actually running. You can't stop it as it always comes back. Its bothered me since forever. I don't think there's anything you can do about it as long as you want to use Google's location services. I think its all part of the service. My best guess is they constantly ping locations and cross-reference tower and wifi locations to improve and maintain their database...and opting in to the service allows it.
  17. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

Go to Settings>Location Services, depending on phone/carrier, there should be options to turn on/off GPS options. This might help in turning off Google Maps.
  18. anzi

anzi Member

If you disable "use wireless networks" in location settings maps won't be running in the background . But I would guess that makes finding location a lot slower while using maps. On the other hand, I always have wireless location enabled, and maps is never mentioned in battery usage stats if I haven't been using it....
  19. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Check this thread about processes that run in the background.

Short version from that post:

dinomosin likes this.
  20. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, google maps background services "issues" aren't really about killing tasks and memory usage. Its more about location data being constantly collected/reported in the background and the sometimes significant impact on battery life and data transfers. Personally, I feel that its active waaaaaay more than necessary. If you use an app like better battery stats you'll see that sometimes upwards of 7 different maps and location services are causing partial wake locks. In all, it probably adds up to about 5% of battery usage, which seems small, but for someone who didn't touch maps or use any apps that have location data access (aside from a weather widget that updates twice an hour) it is more than necessary.
  21. dinomosin

dinomosin Member

Thanks for the informative post about android processes Petrah.

I have noticed on both of the android phones I have had that when Google Maps is running my battery drains much faster. It sure seems like more than 5% but I can't say for sure.

I deciced yesterday to clear data and uninstall updates of Google Maps and disable it. I may need it once or twice a month and with the help from this post I disabled it and now know how to re-enable it when I need it. With 4G speeds I don't think it will take long to re-download any updates I might need when doing so.

Thanks everyone.
  22. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

You're more than welcome! Glad I was able to help shed some light on that for you. :)
  23. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that was limited to rooted phones. I guess that's one of the big reasons to root... to get rid of (or manage) bloatware.

If you are without Google Maps... you might look at some other map / navigation programs: NavFree (free in USA) or OsmAnd (free) or Locus Pro (costs a few bucks). I like NavFree quite a bit. You have to download the maps for the states you'll be in ahead of time. The zoom is seamless and the right level so you can easily see the roads coming up and can see the major road names at any level of zoom (like Google Maps and unlike OsmAnd and Locus Pro which loses the road names when you zoom out). The two small disadvantages of Navfree:
    1 - when in navigating mode NavFree always chooses a relative coordinate system where the top of the screen is the direction you are traveling (rather than North). It's a little strange if you're used to an absolute coordinate system where north = up, but you get used to it. It's actually practical because you have less thinking to do as you approach a turn. It's a little harder to develop a mental map when you're in a new city, but if you change to scroll mode (rather than Navigate mode), you can set it to normal north up map display. In fact very useful in this scroll mode to get a very good mental picture of your route or a general area before starting driving, since the zoom feature is so good.
    2 - It doesn't use the built in compass at all. Instead it relies on movement of gps coordinates to figure out which direction you're headed. Works well once you get started, just a little rocky when you first get started from rest (like figuring out which way to turn out of a large store parking lot).

In spite of these two disadvantages (which may seem pretty big), I highly prefer NavFree to OsmAnd and Locus due to simplicity, ability to zoom in/out seamlessly, uncluttered display where you can easily see the important roads coming up at a glance as you're driving.