Why is it rebooting endlessly? Where are my contacts?Support

Last Updated:

1. waffletaters

waffletaters Member This Topic's Starter

For seemingly no reason, I got the endless boot loop, then i took out the battery for like 10 minutes, now all my contacts are gone and when i click apps it either says FORCE CLOSE or the icon is like error writing, or it immediately goes back to the endless boot loop.

Question: How can i install the OS so its brand new like when i first got it. i think i may have uninstalled something that it needs or something.

Or: Shouldn't my contacts still be somewhere?

Any help? I've had the Incredible since release and have had almost no issues, but it seems like this one is my phone is broken. I can't use apps anymore without the loop happening

any help greatly appreciated. :(

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Unless you are rooted there is no way you uninstalled anything that your phone needed. Your contacts should either be stored with Verizon backup assistant or with Google.

try doing a factory reset....if that doesn't work there is a way to reload the OS like new but it might be complicated for you depending how tech savvy you are.'

I also had a similar problem about a week ago (infinite reboot and force closes on startup). I did about 6 factory resets and reloaded the OS from scratch about 5 times and it would only temporarily fix the issue, right after a phone reboot I would get the force close errors again on different apps, then some would start working again but others would break, I tried everything that could possibly be done and nothing would fix it. So I went to the verizon store and they are sending me a replacement phone.

3. waffletaters

My phone isn't rooted.

How do i do a factory reset? And how do i access my google/verizon backup contacts(i didn't set anything up)? Also if i do add to existing contacts it has a list of people

I let it reboot loop for like 30 minutes then i took the battery out and left it, then it turned back on and has been working since, but i've been afraid to use apps.

I'm fairly good with tech stuff, if you don't mind explaining reinstalling the OS, or linking me to somewhere that does.

In any case thanks for the 2 cents and any more help.

4. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

If you go it back running, the 1st thing you should do is go to Settings>Accounts and Sync>Backup Assistant.

You can set up the Backup assistant from there. You will need to sete up a username and PW and then back it up. From then on, your contact info is going to be backed up with Verizion.

From there, you could boot into recovery (when phone is off press Power and Volume down at the same time). This will load in recovery and you could select factory wipe.

Everything will be gone and you will need to set up all your settings and accounts all over again, but when you log into back up assistant, your contacts will sync back through.

5. maryj459

maryj459 Member

About a month ago, I was also getting a spontaneous reboot when my DINC got hot (usually while running NAV). I called Verizon and they sent me a refurb replacement. My "new" phone has been great, until recently....I'm having other problems with it now'

I love this phone, but it can be aggravating at times! My advice...get a replacement phone if you haven't already. The problem is probably not just going to go away...

6. waffletaters

how do i get a replacement? verizon store? i got it online. do i need receipts and stuff like that?

7. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

If you call Verizon they are going to have you do a factory reset... They aren't just going to replace it.

Remember that all data will be deleted from your phone, but not the sd card.

• Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    • Hold the Volume Down button
    • Press and release the Power button
    • Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    • Press and release the Power button
    • Confirm your decision by pressing volume UP.
    Let it go through its process and your phone will come back up factory clean.

IF your contacts are stored as Google/Gmail contacts they will sync when you add your account. If not, they won't.

8. waffletaters

Called verizon they are sending me a new phone on tuesday. Thanks for the help everyone. How do i lock this thread?