Why is it still called a phone?

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Remember when a phone was a phone?

Now that it's a camera, computer, browser, music player, ebook reader, camera, etc etc etc, why do we still call it a phone?

I personally spend the vast majority of the time using my ' phone' by not using it as a phone!

But what else can we call it?

PCS? Handheld PC?

Advertisement
  2. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

it's still called a phone because it's primary intended function is that of a phone.all the rest are just addons.

3. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

I believe "smartphone" is still industry accepted

4. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

the "phone" part is probably what i use the least amount of.

5. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Me too. "Smartphone" it is :D

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's the function it is intended for primarily. That's it's intended primary function so that's what it is called.

7. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

You can't really call it a computer because a computer usually doesn't have a camera, camcorder and gps. Even if they could add those things in, can you imagine picking up your laptop to take a picture with it or using it on your car's dashboard for navigation? Here we have something special. You can take a picture, use an app to manipulate it and then send it straight to the web with geotagging so everyone knows where you took it.
    The latest devices not only have accelerometers but also 6 axis control. Maybe we'll even have 3D screens and cameras like the Nintendo 3DS. These are all features that are unique to the mobile platform and not merely mini versions of the PC's.

Ynomrah, hexdsl and mdeamicis like this.
  8. mdeamicis

mdeamicis Well-Known Member

^best response

9. thaden0

thaden0 Active Member

I work for BlackBerry Tech Support and we will get docked points on call audits if we call it a phone. "Device" is the word we use.

hexdsl likes this.
  10. ari-free

it is a mobile convergence device!

11. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Well-Known Member

I may use my phone 3 times in a week, all for very short calls that I have received. I hate phones!

12. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

IMO because telephony feature is what makes them different from other devices like netbooks, tablet PCs, sophisticated car navigation systems, cameras n stuff. There are netbooks like Nokia booklet which is capable of everything a Smartphone can do, but still when you need to make a call you cant hold it up to your ear and talk or carry it in your pocket like a mobile phone. Same goes for all other devices.

13. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter what we call it since we're a tiny fraction of a percentage of society. It's the majority that determines what people call it.

For that matter, why do we still say "dial" when you go to make a call? When was the last time your phone had a dial? Why do we still use "hook"? Or even "ring"? Phones haven't had bells in ages.

14. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

A rose by any other name ...

... will still drop calls if you hold the wrong way. ;)

15. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

I call it a Device.

marefin, shawn1224 and hexdsl like this.
  16. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I think everyone was talking about smartphones in general not the "iphone", lol

17. ari-free

If it is too big or clunky to be a mobile phone, it will also be too big to be used as a camera, camcorder, and gps nav to use in your car or if you want to hike on a trail. I looked at the booklet's specs and while it does have gps, it doesn't have a camera and camcorder. OK it has a FFC but that is on many laptops and can't be used to record what is in front of you. Now we have a device that puts everything in one pocket package and we have completely new applications with this combination.

However, one thing that is important is the use of 3G for internet and not just wi-fi, like a regular laptop. Even if you're not going to use it to make many phone calls, you'll still be on the web most of the time and want to do it from anywhere. You have to get one that will work with your 3G carrier. So because of its 3G internet access, I will concede and call it a smartphone!

18. GirlGoneGeek

GirlGoneGeek Well-Known Member

I sometimes call my Evo a phone just out of habit, but that's what I use it for LEAST. As a matter of fact, it was one of my considerations when going with Sprint. They have an unlimited text, unlimited web program with only 450 monthly minutes. Why use other carriers' plans where I'd pay for 900 or unlimited talk minutes I'd NEVER use?

But I'm in a rut. Still a phone.

19. ari-free

maybe in the future, there won't be a voice plan, it will be all data and voip

20. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

if my parents would join the 21st century and learn to text.... same with my best friend (but he still has the same haircut he had in highschool, 17 years ago)

those 3 are pretty much the only ones I have to call on a regular basis. Everyone else, is a tm. in fact, I have only spoke to my g/f one time on the phone part. and it was very short.

21. fruit

fruit New Member

mobile

22. ari-free

Don't you want to hear her sultry soothing sweet talk over the phone? :) And even more personal expression is lost compared to a video chat.

23. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

no phone is as good as a dslr for taking pictures
    no phone is as powerful as a dedicated desktop computer
    no phone is as good for browsing as a full-on computer
    no phone delivers sound like proper music equipment
    no phone is as good for reading on as a dedicated e-book reader

but there isn't a device that does phone calls significantly better - all the other functions are miniature versions of the real thing

24. ari-free

OK so what should we call those ipod touch things?

25. thaden0

thaden0 Active Member

Not exactly true.. atleast for the music. A phone does music just as good as any mp3 player. Its not like these things are replacing an orchastra.. there replacing MP3 players. And the iPhone and the IPod have almost identical hardware and software. So, Why are we not calling them Mp3 Phones?