1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Why is Move to SD card greyed out?Support

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn Member

I have some 80MB left on the phones memory, I have downloaded a lot of apps, tried them and deleted most of them (but far from all). There are still a lot of apps I would like to DL and try out, but before doing that I would like to move as much as possible to the SD card, it says I have 3.67 GB available, so plenty of room. However When I go to Applications--> Manage Applications the ption to move them to the SD card is grayed out and the option is not available to me. What do I need to do to turn it on? The HTC support page is not helpful at all in this case.

Advertisement
  2. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

Its up to the app developers to offer the ability to move the app to sd card. Guess you have to wait for those apps to be updated with the feature.
  3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

You can only move apps to the SD card if the app has been updated to support the feature. It's not a problem with the phone or firmware, but the developer who hasn't updated and recoded their app. If you want an app on the SD card, look in the features for the app to see if it supports A2SD first.

There's another option that allows you to put all apps on the SD card, but involves making changes to the system and if you move certain apps you will break the operation of the phone. You sound a bit new to all this, so if you don't know what you're doing yet, don't try it.

You can also root your phone and flash a custom ROM on the phone, but again if you don't know what you're doing, don't try it.
  5. CarsnGadgets

the method i linked above, takes 10 mimutes and is very simple to do, and also to undo if you want.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn Member

I'll work on it tomorow or Sunday when I'm a bit more sober.
    It doesn't seem overly complicated, is there a possibility of turning it into a brick in case you mistype something?
  7. CarsnGadgets

no, i dont think so, it will either work, or send an error message saying you typed something wrong as far as i can see.
  8. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

Once again we get a feature ,that we cant use !,my old Winmo could handle apps installed on to card as standard.How will Android compare with Apple if this isn`t sorted .Froyo was so long coming its not as though developers didn`t have time ,they should pull their fingers out or pack up.
  9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes but many android phones do not have the internal memory issues the desire has. In the Android world, the desire is a small market so Dev's probably can't be bothered.

Google should have just coded it in. apps2sd+ for rooted devices has managed it easily enough so its not like android is not capable of it.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn Member

Is App2sd+ an app that will manage moving applications? If they are moved to the sd card I will still be able to launch them through their icons?