• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is my droid soooo slow

Bondad

Aug 5, 2010
Over time my once beloved droidhas gotten more and more laggy. It's almost to the point of being useless. I bought it brand new in Aug 2010 and an due for an upgrade in April. I am rooted running stock with launcher pro paid version. What can I do to speed her up again?

Have you tried overclocking? Are you on stock Froyo or Gingerbread? Do you have a ton of apps loaded on there?
Also, if you're eligible for an upgrade, I'd look into a new phone. The OG Droid is really on its last legs. My wife's and mine were moving like molasses when we upgraded even with all the tweaks I made on mine!

Upvote 0
I heavily recommend a ROM over Stock. My droid runs at moderate speed (won't win any contests, but isn't slow/laggy really badly). Here are the stats:

-> CM 7.1
-> Running at 800 MHz (anything higher would overheat my phone some and often cause issues, especially at 1.25 GHz - YMMV, each hardware has different stress points)
-> Keep AT LEAST 80 MB of ROM storage free (CM uses some virtual memory type of processing help)
-> Have a task killer - I used Task Killer and had it kill apps when I turned off the screen. If I was about to start up a large resource app (Netflix, Navigation, etc) I would always tap the task killer since that would help free up resources. I would usually get a 50 to 60 MB RAM free message from it. You don't need to do it every 5 mintues, but it helps wipe the slate clean to reduce FCs or other response time issues.

Also, I recommend a restart of it weekly, like a regular computer, to help it clear out some running programs.

My Droid, up to the day I upgraded to the Rezound, functioned reasonably well to the point I could proudly say I was running GB on it without whipping out something barely useable with the most recent stuff on it because I barely could (That'll be ICS later :p)

I hope these notes help you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones