• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why is my Droid X sooooo slow?

xsists

Apr 21, 2010
I just got my X like 2 hours ago now and it is a complete snail! I have rebooted it twice and still it will not keep up with my texting. I run no other apps other than messaging and I've deleted all the widgets and am not using a live wallpaper. I really need to figure out whats going on because its so laggy and making me so frustrated. Again, no apps are running, I haven't even went into the market place yet.

Even turning on the phone, the screen takes a while to come up and the opening animations are all glitchy. Happens every start up, even the first start up!

Whenever I get a message the ringtone goes "dddddd..rrr..ooooooo.iii.dddd" and its all choppy even.

Like I said, nothing is running nor is anything downloaded, what could be the problem?!?!

No task-killer.. Again, no apps at all. I'm not even opening anything but messages.

I really hope its not a bad one because them I'm stuck with it until after next friday (I take it they won't have any available until all the other orders ship out). I can't goto the store because they can't pull up my account (I have a discount that doesn't allow me to do things in the store).

I'm considering a full wipe and starting over.. I synced google and facebook at the same time and maybe something got messed up?

Upvote 0
try doing this. goto menu>settings>sound&display>disable all window animations. this should speed things up a tremendous amount. also if you aren't using the widgets on the homescreens, then get rid of them. if you notice keyboard lag, disable haptic feedback as well. hope this helps

also goto menu>settings>applications>running services. clear out all the updates for the widgets as well as anything else you see in there thats running that you don't need.

Upvote 0
Try booting into safe mode and see if you still get lag.

To start Safe Mode:

Press and hold down the Power Key.
Touch Power Off.
Touch OK.
Press and hold the menu key, then press the power key to power on device
Continue holding the Menu key until Safe mode appears in the left corner of the screen.
This may take up to 30 seconds.
Safe Mode will appear in the bottom *left* corner

Upvote 0
Ok after reboot it was still a bit sluggish. I took out my memory card and everything was fast. Put it back in and it started to be sluggish again. I am now back to running without it and its fast as everyone else is saying it is.. Weird. Gonna have to see if I can get a replacement memory card. So far this is my finding.. I'll report back later with anymore info I find.

Upvote 0
Try re-formatting the SD Card before taking it back. Its good to see u narrowed it down.

What class is the SD Card? Just curious. It has a lil circle with a number in it.

We have to tell ppl that see a slow X at the store to take out the SD Card first...lol

I've seen SD Card issues with some ppl trying to make a Nandroid back up or restore one on a rooted phone running custom ROMs. I think those were bad or corrupt cards.

Upvote 0
Try re-formatting the SD Card before taking it back. Its good to see u narrowed it down.

What class is the SD Card? Just curious. It has a lil circle with a number in it.

We have to tell ppl that see a slow X at the store to take out the SD Card first...lol

I've seen SD Card issues with some ppl trying to make a Nandroid back up or restore one on a rooted phone running custom ROMs. I think those were bad or corrupt cards.

stock card that came with it is 4.

OP never said if he's using the stock card or one from another phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones