Why is my phones internal storage getting low?

1. crashhat69

crashhat69 Well-Known Member

i got a samsung vitality on the 8th and the phones internal storage is already getting low? i've only downloaded 4-5 apps, which downloaded apps go on the sd card right? so why is the phones internal storage getting low?

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Apps go to the internal storage.
  3. crashhat69

i just found that out. i had to move the apps i downloded and store them onto the sd card. why dont they automatically go onto the sd card when downloaded. now i have 64mb of internal storage which is still low if you ask me.
  4. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think why it doesn't do that is cause from the factory the phone normally doesn't come with an SD card to store on so that's why it all goes on the internal storage. And also the only way I was to add more internal storage was to root my phone and partition my SD card and I love it lol no more of your phone not having internal storage. I put mine to have 1 gig something to keep in mind if you plan on installing lots of apps and what not. Ever since I rooted I now think ever phone should be rooted
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Remember that application data goes to internal storage too (for system apps as well as user-installed), and only part of the app is moved to sd.
  6. crashhat69

this phone only comes with 197mb of internal storage space.. which is extremely low. and the stuff pre installed on the phone take up 129mb. i dont get why they used so much space to begin with.if the internal storage is low will it do anything to performance?
  7. crashhat69

so hadron, whenever i use the app the data part is gonna take up more and more internal storage space?
  8. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Dialer and Browser cache is also stored in the system app. If you go into settings, applications>all applications>hit menu and sort by size, you might see that your dialer and the browser app size in the high side.

I downloaded Dolphin browser so I can store cache on my SD when I had the Droid 1 so maybe that'll help you clear up space if you find that the stock browser cache is taking too much space. As for the dialer, if you clear data or cache, you might lose your text messages so I would be careful clearing that.
  9. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

Yes, this is why I got rid of my Xperia Play as soon as possible, the low internal storage can be a headache.
  10. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Application data doesn't necessarily grow with time.
  11. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

It is a budget phone. Likely free on contract, yes? They are not top end phones. You can't expect to get performance like a GS3. They have to keep the cost down somehow.
  12. crashhat69

the phone costed $150
  13. ExtremeNerd

Yeah, full cost. That means no carrier subsidy. Look how much mid-high end phones cost. The GS3 is $600. Even the N4 is $350. You are not going to get a great phone for that cost. It just isn't realistic. Memory, processor, and screen are the first things which are sacrificed.

PS it's $90 at wal-mart.
  14. crashhat69

i just went to the cricket location to see their prices and selection. my sister said i should just get it i had the money so i said f-it and got it lol.
  15. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

That's mostly the problem with people buying Android. They pick up a $100 phone and they expect it to work like a $400 or better one. Its just not like that. There's a reason its cheap. Sure you can install a few games or a few apps, but that's it.
  16. ExtremeNerd

Well, on the plus side, you now have a smartphone. The drawback is that it is a cheap smartphone. There are definitely concessions that you made for the price. Electronics are one of the greatest examples of getting what you pay for. Buy a $200 laptop? It won't function as well as a $700 one. Same is true for phones.

Enjoy it for what it is. Just don't expect it to be like an amazing device that you see advertised everywhere. Save up again and buy something better next time. We all have to start somewhere.
  17. crashhat69

i knew i was getting a cheap smart phone. i didnt expect it to do the stuff the good smart phones do. it is from cricket after all lol.
  18. crashhat69

so does anyone know how i delete the ringtones and wallpaper i've downloaded?
  19. crashhat69

why does the storage amounts keep changing? the sd storage space says theres over 200mb used and the 7 apps i have dont even use close to that amount. and now the internal storage amout says theres 77mb free? im confused