Why is my RAM always so low?

1. CFD323

CFD323 Well-Known Member

How do I get it to stay up so my phone doesn't get so slow? I know turning the phone off & on takes care of it, but who wants to do that all day long?!

My phone just gets so sluggish and I can't stand it. I wish it would stay snappy all the time.

Advertisement
  2. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

If it is going slow, it is not because of the RAM being used ( specifically...) but rather that you must have a lot of junk that is actively running when they should be closing out. When you hear about poorly coded apps being the bane of Android, this is what they are talking about.

First, you need to figure out your main culprits. One way to catch the most serious of offenders is to check your battery usage: Menu->Settings->About Phone->Battery->Battery Use.

Anything that shows up in Battery use should probably have been used a fair amount of time. For example, my current stats are:

Cell Standy: 33%
    Phone Idle: 32%
    Android System: 22%
    Display: 7%
    Internet: 4%
    Dialer: 2%

This fits in because I have had the phone idle a fair amount of time, but also a fair bit of it on. So, the cell standby and idle are the top users, but then android system is up there because it is always running a bit, especially when the phone is not asleep. I like to browse the internet so it's at 4%.

If you saw, say "Brain Genius Deluxe" has used up 48% of your battery but you know you only used it for say 30 mins...thats a serious problem. ( NOTE: Make sure you have been off the charger for several hours at least before checking these...giving everything time to get accurate readings. The percentage is the percent of the total drain on your battery so far. So, let's say I'm at half battery right now..that would mean 33% of the half that was drained, was drained by Cell Standby. )

You will probably also want to check out "System Panel" which can give you a lot more details about what is actively running right now ( Do not worry about ones that are not active. I also do not recommend actually killing them if you have a choice. )

When you find a problem app, try opening the app and see if there is anything to actually exit it from inside the app. ( Generally something like Menu->Exit. Every app can vary. ) If you can't find a way, you should strongly consider finding a different app to use. Uninstall the offender, and find a replacement.

Remember: It is normal ( and actually speeds things up ) to be USING the RAM. Free RAM is not doing anything, and therefore wasted speed. ( Think of it like your CPU. It does NOT make things run faster, if you have lots and lots of your CPU doing nothing at all. )
  3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I don't use a task killer par say, but I do have astro and allows me to kill a few apps when I know they wont be in use for awhile. something to look into, also apps like FMradio and others that you dont use woll be open all the time, so i deleted them I have 200mb ram almost always
  4. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

Sounds like you almost HAVE to have a bad app running to produce lag. Systempanel and/or batteryleft widget are great resources for information gathering.
    btw gonna move this to the 'support' section so all the froyo threads dont bump it off the first page.