• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why is my WiFi "Disabled"?

Buff1968

Lurker
Dec 16, 2014
I have had a ZTE Z830 Compel AT&T Go Phone for approx. 2 months and everything has worked fine until yesterday. I noticed my phone was not connected to my home wifi. I checked the wifi access points and all of them said "disabled". Everything else, two laptops, desktop and printer all connect with the wifi network with no problems. No changes were made to the phone or router (no updates, no downloads, no setting changes, nothing - it just quit connecting). The phone sees the home and other wifi networks but it won't connect to any of them. I have tried rebooting the phone, rebooting the router, and taking the battery out of the phone with no luck. Have tried forgetting the network and reentering the password to no avail. Does anyone know how to get my wifi working again? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I have had a ZTE Z830 Compel AT&T Go Phone for approx. 2 months and everything has worked fine until yesterday. I noticed my phone was not connected to my home wifi. I checked the wifi access points and all of them said "disabled". Everything else, two laptops, desktop and printer all connect with the wifi network with no problems. No changes were made to the phone or router (no updates, no downloads, no setting changes, nothing - it just quit connecting). The phone sees the home and other wifi networks but it won't connect to any of them. I have tried rebooting the phone, rebooting the router, and taking the battery out of the phone with no luck. Have tried forgetting the network and reentering the password to no avail. Does anyone know how to get my wifi working again? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Can someone help me with this problem? I have tried resetting the router, resetting the phone, etc. Nothing seems to help. Pretty sure it is not the router as nothing was changed and my other devices connect with no problems. Sorry if there are multiple quotes attached to this. This is my first response on this site and I'm totally sure of what I'm doing. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Since you said the phone suddenly won't connect to other WiFi networks, it's possible the WiFi radio has failed, a hardware problem. You already tried the obvious corrections like rebooting, battery pull, forgetting the network, etc. So probably the only thing left to try to eliminate a software problem is, unfortunately, a factory reset of the phone. The phone manual will give the method to do it. I rarely advise a reset but I think in this case it's probably justified.

Don't forget to backup everything before resetting the phone!

If the problem persists after a reset then it's time for s warranty repair or replacement.

Upvote 0
Crashdamage; Thank you for your reply. Yeah I hate to do a factory reset but may have to try. I just tried putting the phone in Airplane mode and it will connect to wifi just fine. Turn off Airplane mode and it disables wifi again. Does that indicate that the wifi radio is OK and it is a software problem? Please give me your thoughts. Thx. If I do a factory reset, can recover all of my contacts and pictures from my Google account?

Upvote 0
Before I do a factory reset I am making sure all of my contacts are in my Google Account. I have 117 contacts on my phone but only 25 are showing up in my Gmail account. I have re-synced the phone several times but only 25 show up. How do I get all 117 contacts to sync to my Gmail account?

Upvote 0
You must have saved most of the contacts to the phone internal storage only, IOW not as Google contacts to your account. In Settings of your Contacts app there should be an option to Select Contacts to display. Using that you can sort out what is saved to Google and what isn't.

Some phones will let you re-save non-Google contacts to your Google account. But most won't. If yours doesn't go to Import/Export in the Contacts app and export the non-Google contacts as a .vcf file. Transfer the .vcf file to your computer, log into your Gmail account and import the .vcf file to your contacts there. All your contacts should now be visible in Gmail online. Resync contacts to the phone and you should be good.

Your user manual covers this in more detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones