• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is rooting so dangerous while Root access for PCs isn't dangerous at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvercats

Aug 11, 2012
No harm can possibly happen to any PC running Linux/Windows in the admin or super user level. Worst case scenario for PCs is, happening to re install the OS or format the HDD. Other than that no physical harm.

But for Androids.... bricking hardware failure,sudden death . Does android suck or anything?

I don't think Iphones can be bricked this easily? Why is it soo easy brick while computers are almost impossible to be in a such condition.

It's not rooting that's dangerous so much as needing the correct ROM for your phone. Because phones have different hardware (even between similar ones from the same manufacturer) they heed the OS (Android and more particularly, the underlying Linux kernel), custom built with the correct drivers. flashing the wrong ROM can brick a phone. If you've installed TWRP or CWM custom recovery, you may be able to recover from this situation.
Perhaps a guide or mod could add to/correct this if necessary.

Upvote 0
It's not like your phone holds up a knife to you after you root it.

iPhone_toda_la_actualidad_noticas_146.jpg

Most of the time rooting is pretty straight forward, people get in trouble when they don't read. For example the guy trying to flash S3 rom's on a fake S3, rom's are built for specific phones because they all use different chips, radios, modems etc... Makes pretty good sense to me that flashing software built for another phone would mess it up. If you flashed a computer out of a Ford onto an Audi what do you think would happen?

My advice for anyone who wants to root, read read read. Read how to root, read how to install roms, and read how to go back to stock all prior to actually rooting your phone. This way if you have any questions regarding any of the steps you ask first before your phone gets messed up.

Upvote 0
Root-ing does not cause the problem. Root-ing opens the door that allows the problem to happen.

When un-root-ed and something goes wrong ... you get support from your carrier. When root-ed and something goes wrong you take care of it yourself.

The biggest single problem is approach ... if you are root-ed you should assume that whatever you do can kill you and have a recovery approach worked out before you do it.

Over-and-over what you read is someone who has read nothing, has no recovery plan, and shoots themselves in the foot.

(The term brick has become ambiguous with some saying things like "soft brick" and "hard brick". In many cases it is being used to mean "broken".)

... Thom

Upvote 0
As stated by the others here, the problem is not with root but with the users themselves.

For some reason that I cannot fathom, people get root access and suddenly feel that they can delete this and move that, with out understanding anything that they are doing.

It pretty much boils down to impatience. People refuse to take the time to understand,(by this I mean READING.READING..READING), the implications of their actions. They "don't have time...can't find the information... insert what ever other lame excuse you want here...", and figure that trial and error is okay.

It's one of the main reasons that manufacturers and carriers lock the phones down so tightly, (well that and greed, but i digress.) People get their devices, root them, screw them up and try to exchange them.

If people were to take the time and effort to understand what they were doing, then I suspect that 90% of the issues that they wind up having wouldn't exist.

Upvote 0
While I agree and understand everyone's response to silvercats question, I don't think anyone really answered it???

I think the questions is, Is Android more susceptible to bricking than a PC? If so, why?

I don't think it's a hardware issue because computers have different hardware yet Microsoft gives everyone administrative powers for Windows and computers don't brick if you install different programs. Would a PC be unusable/unrecoverable if you tried to install iOS on it?

Upvote 0
I would have to disagree to an extent. It's a little misleading to say rooting itself carries no risk whatsoever unless you do it wrong. Rooting requires a modification script, like anything else, and if it's not written perfectly it can have undesired effects at times. While it may work fine on many phones, the very same modification can screw up others at random, even applied the correct way. I speak from knowledge and experience.

I think one of the biggest reasons modding androids is so much more dangerous than doing it to a PC, is because all these android mods are created by some dude on his home computer, with a single device for testing. Not to say these devs aren't smart, they are very smart. But it's just a fact, programs that are created by a manufacturer, with vast resources and teams of programmers, going through much more rigorous testing, are going to be more reliable than a code made by some dude. Or lady. :)

Modding, even just rooting, ALWAYS carries risk, no matter how well you follow the instructions, which are not always the most clear.

Upvote 0
When a person bricks a device, they:
a) Corrupted something. (Battery died during rooting process, compile errors, etc)
b) Installed the wrong files or installed to the wrong place. (Each phone's partition's varies. One rooting method won't work for all.)
c) Overwrote something they shouldn't have.( stuff like radios, basebands, prls, etc)
d) Deleted something because it seems alright.

So like everyone above me said, having root isn't usually the dangerous part. It's the power and control of root combined with ignorance and impatience that's dangerous. This is true for PC's and Smart phones.

Upvote 0
While I agree and understand everyone's response to silvercats question, I don't think anyone really answered it???

I think the questions is, Is Android more susceptible to bricking than a PC? If so, why?

I don't think it's a hardware issue because computers have different hardware yet Microsoft gives everyone administrative powers for Windows and computers don't brick if you install different programs. Would a PC be unusable/unrecoverable if you tried to install iOS on it?
There are a few things here:

The process of rooting is something you don't have to do on a PC. On most phones (apart from those which come with unlocked bootloaders) it involves some exploit to gain root access - as does jailbreaking an iPhone, since the OP mentioned that. However, if you use a procedure that's been tested for your phone model you are actually pretty safe.

Once the phone is rooted, running with root access is no more dangerous than running a PC as administrator. Yes, you can render a phone unbootable if you delete vital files, but the same is true on a PC. And the solution, if you were silly enough to do this without taking a backup first, would be to reinstall the ROM, exactly the same as you might end up reinstalling the OS on a PC in similar circumstances. And remember that all that most PC owners ever do with their administrator access is install apps or change system settings.

I think that part of the problem here is that the term "brick" is used rather loosely. It's easy enough to mess the ROM up so phone won't boot, but I'd argue that's not a true brick because it's easily fixable - unless you've no backup and don't have a compatible ROM you can flash in its place. Install a custom recovery built for a phone that uses a different partition mapping system for its internal memory, or a bootloader from a different device, and you could have a true brick, i.e. something there's no way back from (or not with the tools that most of us have access to). But that's a lower-level modification - the PC analogy wouldn't be installing an incompatible operating system but more like flashing an incompatible BIOS.

I'd also note that some of the things the OP mentioned are not really to do with root. Hardware failure is hardware failure, and "sudden death" is a term I associate with a particular bug in some SGS3 variants (fixed by a kernel patch to stop the particular condition occurring).

So I'd just reiterate what everyone else is saying: the most important thing is to do your reading, understand what you are doing and make sure that anything you use is compatible with your specific phone. Don't just assume that some recipe for a different device works for yours, or that if there's no recovery for your phone you can use one built for a different one. If you get into trouble, ask rather than just doing what comes to mind. And if you don't feel comfortable with anything, don't do it.

Upvote 0
(fixed by a kernel patch to stop the particular condition occurring).
it.

So it's a software glitch,right? I've never heard of a software glitch that can harm a PC physically (burned motherboard,corrupted RAM,HDD).

Also, Windows won't allow deleting ANY system file that is required for OS to boot or function properly.I think Linux is the same as far as I know. Is Android the same?

Upvote 0
So, as far as Everyone knows, there is no way somebody can brick a phone (permanently) simply by running an exploit or a program/virus with root access without flashing a wrong ROM or taking off the battery while a ROM being installed?

I am talking about bricking, means there is no way to recover. Not even by using a spcecial cable or anything. That kind of a brick. Wrong ROM installations bricks can be fixed. The HARD brick type

it depends on the root exploit and how you root the phone. for the most part it is really hard to brick a phone. like others have said before, do your research on ow to root your phone first before attempting to gain root.

having a good custom recovery is the key for most phones. as long as you have a recovery then all is not lost. so even if you pull the battery out while you are flashing a rom, you should still be able to get to recovery.

with htc phones (at least for me with the evo 4g and the evo 4g lte) if you pull the battery out while flashing or updating radios or other firmware will brick the phone for sure. as well as what other have mentioned in flashing roms not made for your device will also brick the phone.

hope that helps.........just curious what phone are you thinking about rooting?

Upvote 0
You should also test your custom recovery first. Do a nandroid backup, then apply that backup BEFORE flashing something new just to make sure it's all working good. In case you get an MD5 sum mismatch. If that happens, your recovery will not help you.

That's just a little piece of advice from me based on experience. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Davdi and Thom
Upvote 0
I am not hoping to root my phone yet. Just curious. And sad about how easy is it to brick an android phone compared to PCs and (IPhones?) . I have an S3 bought 2 weeks ago.

its really super hard to brick the phone. the only thing is you just need to pay attention to what you are doing. and read and research first.

going forward i will always look to root my device. it really frees you from the grips of your carrier and manufacturers like samsung.

Upvote 0
Also I've heard that 99% bricks are fixable ?

it depends.

like i said earlier if you were to flash or update your radio(on an htc evo 4g) and then pull the battery out while doing so will permanently brick the phone. there is no fixing that one.

the only time you will have a brick is when you have no recovery and on some phones no access to the bootloader. if you can get to either or you can't install a custom recovery then you most likely be bricked for sure.

Upvote 0
yeah hard. But easiest compared with Iphones and PCs

this is tru. with android being an open source os, i understand why it is easier to brick the device then say something more closed like the iphoney.

now i'm not to savy when it comes to pc's as far as linux or installing other os onto it so i can't compare it. but i imagine that if i do not do the research, i could easily find a way to corrupt something on my pc that would render it useless at least for my knowledge level. it might no be completely bricked and maybe fixable.....i'm just saying that like with anything, if you know what you are getting into and do your research first you should always be fine.

the s3 from what i know is pretty simple to root and it would be super hard to brick it while trying to root it. i would not worry about it too much. you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know when to ask questions. so please keep it coming if you have it.

also if you want to get into more specifics of rooting your device then i would post in the appropriate s3 root subforums we have.

Reactions: silvercats
Upvote 0
After doing this, how easy is it to fix it?

Tutorial To Brick a Android Device with ADB Commands - How To

in a PC, we can simply recover it within 30 mins after completely reformatting the HDD.
yeah well if the partitions are completely gone as suggested by the link then that would be a complete brick. i think people use the term brick to easily these days. bricking a phone is that. once it is bricked, it is useless as a brick. so that example is permanent.

i do not know why this information is out there to be honest.
edit:i do not think this is a permanent brick though.

Upvote 0
research, i could easily find a way to corrupt something on my pc that would render it useless at least for my knowledge level. it might no be completely bricked and maybe fixable.....i'm just saying that like with anything, if you know what you are getting into and do your research first you should always be fine.

In PCs, no matter we do, the worst thing that could happen is losing data. Formatting the HDD will fix everything. Unless we turn off the power when upgrading BIOS which usually take few secs in modern computers..... . So we can't brick a PC even we wanted to. BIOS failures can be fixed too (a little bit hard) . SO no bricking for PCs as far as I know.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones