Why is Sprint customer service so bad and good at the same time? (my rant)

Last Updated:

1. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's my story (took place from 10:30 this morning to 2:30 this afternoon). And so you know, I don't have insurance on my phone.

My issue was dust under my screen. My ultimate goal was to get a new phone (refurb or not) because unless mine is actually fixed, I will still have problems.

I did an online chat with tech support to see what they had to say about the issue. They told me to bring my phone to the nearest Sprint store where they would clean it and install a "dust shield". No problems there.

I brought it to the store and they told me I had to take it to a corporate store/repair center. Annoying, but no big deal.

I took it to the store (about 13 miles vs. the 2mi to my closest store) and the guy there was an absolute jerk. He told me that while they could clean some of it, there would still be dust and it will come back. I then tried to argue the fact that why won't they replace it if it is an irreparable problem. He told me that it was cosmetic so they wouldn't replace it, just attempt to clean it. I also asked about the "dust shield" and he said he nor the tech had ever heard of such a thing. I waited about 10 minutes and the guy brought my phone back to me admitting that there was still dust but they tried. It was noticeably better but still bad.

First problem: If it is truly a cosmetic flaw, why is it being repaired as warranty work?

I was pissed and went home and went to Sprint chat support. Not as good as phone but at least I'd have a transcript of the conversation. I told him my story and his only option was to take it back for repair. I argued that they failed to fix it the first time, why would it be fixed the second time? He eventually offered me a $20.00 inconvenience credit. I refused as my ultimate goal was to get a new phone. After some convincing, he told me that they would replace it because it's considered an irreparable problem. Told me I had to go to my nearest Sprint store. I specifically asked if the one right by my house would be okay despite the fact that it wasn't a corporate store or repair center. He said it would be fine.

It was at this time that I realized that they fried my SD card when they "fixed" my phone!!!

So I took it to my nearest store and the person working was someone that I used to work with a long time ago so I thought, great, he'll really be able to help me. Wrong, I had to take it to the corporate store!

I reluctantly took it back out there again. The rep I talked to this second time was much nicer. First he replaced my SD card. Then he told me that it took some convincing but the manager authorized a replacement phone. Should be here in a few days.

Why is there so much inconsistency between what stores can do what, what repairs are actually available, and what they can actually do to accommodate you?

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I wouldn't blame Sprint but instead the piss poor employees that work at the specific stores. Hell, I just got a free Airave from Sprint.

3. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are going to have shitty employees at any place where the people are only making minimum wage or close to that. Just like going to Wal-Mart or any other retail type place. You'll have your exceptions though...the employees that are just good people and actually want to help. I'm sure if an employee receives enough complaints that they'll be dealt with in one way or another.

4. bubbles7361

bubbles7361 Active Member

You will still find idiots but I have found I have better luck driving past the Franchise stores and going to the corporate stores. 80% of the time the franchise stores just call the corporate store to solve whatever the problem is anyway.

5. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Still boggles my mind that:
    1. Chat support says "dust shield" and corporate store has no idea
    2. Guy number one says we'll do a half ass job but you're still SOL. It's a cosmetic problem so we won't replace it but we'll do an under warranty repair.
    3. Guy number two says we'll ship a new phone to your house through UPS

6. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

This is the perfect example of why you shouldn't give up when one guy says you are SOL. And this doesn't just work with Sprint. Virtually every company that provides service of any type works this way. If you are persistent, you can get it fixed (regardless of what "it" is).

7. shulkman

shulkman Member

Sprint Customer Service... what can you really say? My first two years with Sprint were an unholy hell when it came to billing. The only reason I stayed was I got on the 29.99 SERO plan which eliminated the crazy billing problems. Then, when I ordered my Hero through Sprint Telesales, the guy selling it to me told me I would in fact be able to keep my SERO plan with the Hero and also made a couple other "promises" that wound up being completely false.

After multiple attempts to get the deal I was promised, I unleashed the EECB (executive email carpet bomb) using email addresses provided by consumerist.com for sprint executives including Dan Hesse. I received a call within 2 days from a nice, high-placed fella in Sprint who was very helpful in getting things handled. No, I didn't get my SERO plan, but I did reach an agreeable compromise, and the other issues were handled favorably. I still have his number in my phone, just in case. Good customer service is possible, if you have a really good leg to stand on and you rattle the right cages. Unfortunately, I won't give his name, position, phone number or email address out. Sorry guys... lol.

8. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Story of my life, I spend my entire day friday trying the exact same thing. Went to best buy where I got my phone, they couldn't exchange. Called HTC, they said repair center had a fix. Went into repair center, 20 miles from my house, they were unaware of this fix. Stopped at a sprint store on the way home, they said take it to the repair center, they can exchange. Called HTC who said the same thing. Went BACK to the repair center. Told them I was told by both the sprint hotline though HTC and my sprint store that they could warrant a replacement. They told me all they could do was clean it out. No fix. No replacement. And the ignorance of the employees was ridiculous. "We have never heard of this issue". BS

9. Sirithe

Sirithe Well-Known Member

At least they tried to fix your dust problem. The as*hole at the repair center by me won't even attempt to. "Its cosmetic so its not covered, I could easily open it up and clean it, but I'm not allowed to." Three other stores in my area said that he is supposed to clean it, but they aren't repair centers so it doesn't matter. The other nearest repair center is 20 miles away in a horrible neighborhood.

10. SprintTech1337

SprintTech1337 New Member

Thought this would be an appropriate first post on these forums, since i've been trolling for a while.

Quick background: I'm a technician at a Sprint repair center, not corporate, but third party (basically we wear sprint uniforms but they don't sign my checks.)

My opinion: poor training of the over-the-phone Care employees, whether it be lack of information which misleads customers into getting their hopes up about something that's just not gonna happen, or customers just hearing what they want to hear.

In your case, you said that your ultimate goal was to get another phone, but the thing is, why would we exchange it when the one you're sent is going to have the same problems? As a 3rd party repair center, we can only order the same exact model as a replacement (with an exception of 1 recent model + reeeealy old models).

The thing is, if that model is just going to have that issue no matter what, and we were to exchange it, how pissed would you be when it happens to the replacement? You'd be back in our faces, worse than before. It's like feeding a stray cat when we exchange phones for ridiculous reasons like that, not to mention it really is a cosmetic issue that's not covered.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a douche, but I get bitchy customers in my face every day, that specifically come there just to yell and kick and scream, just to try and get something for free that isnt owed to them. I'm not saying that this is the case every time a customer is upset, but there's never a day that there isn't at least one. Also, i'm one of the nicer techs, I've even been known to try to fix phones that you dummies drop in water even though i'm forbidden to do so, I guess the anonymity of the forum is corrupting me =/

My suggestion to all of you: be nice to the techs in the stores no matter what, your life will be easier, and we might be more inclined to help you if you ask nicely, which is a nice change of pace.

11. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

I agree with your statements, and here is my response. I understand there is policy to follow. I don't work in the cell industry, but retail none the less. I understand there are things that simply can't be done. but hear this. Sprint and HTC need to do a better job of communicating. First of all, all the reps claim cosmetic issue, can't fix. Which ultimately is correct. However, this is a KNOWN issue, as described from the manufacturer itself. HTC said that its likey refurbs have been sent in a repaired for this issue after the sprint hotline in HTC recommended I ask for a refurb. You know what though, that's ok. the thinng that is completely ignorant and rediculous is making me look like an idiot. I took my phone to best buy, and the employee that happened to work in cell phones claims oh yeah that's a big issue with these devices. I then take it to a corporate service center and they tellme they have never heard of it and act like I'm crazy. That seems like a load of bs too me. That's the aggrivating part. Don't play me for a fool, because its just embarrasing for you're company. Now I feel sprint should back the phones they sell. this issue is huge. All over any phone forum. Sprint needs to contact HTC and figure something out, instead of selling consumers a phone that is known to have defects and washing their hands of it. Again, I understand there's only so much that can be done, but don't argue that we are looking for something free. I want a phone that doesn't have defects is all. as a consumer who has paid over 10 thousand dollars to sprint in my life, is that really too much to ask? I think not. I'm not asking for an upgrade, I'm not asking for money back. The phones been out for months. I'm asking for sprint to cooperate with HTC, find a fix, and implement it to all of their customers.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk