• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is the Android storage system so dumb

sonyboyj

Jun 28, 2012
Canada
So i got a Galaxy Note 8 16gb internal and 32GB SD card. i got a tablet cause bigger screen and thought it could hold more games then the nexus 5 .
But i downloaded a 3gb game on the tablet and then moved it to the sd card so i thought it would give back 3gb on the internal memory WRONG its still takes up space plus space on the sd card. why cant i move games to sd and run them from sd. when i remove the sd card the game icon remains on the tablet but its faded out.:( Oh and im not rooted

Also how exactly are you moving it? Just want to be sure we don't end up talking at crossed purposes.

Please note that on devices which allow moving to sd via settings > applications it only moves part of the app, so you would never get the full space back (what fraction depends on how the app is structured).

@promo: it's not that simple. Some manufacturers added it back on some devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones