Why is the WiFI such garbage??

Last Updated:

1. Veez

Veez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've had my droid for about 3 months now. and i ALWAYS have problems with the wifi...at my home, i'll try to go on the browser but it doesn't work...as soon as i disconnect from the wifi and go off 3g, it works perfect. i unplug my modem and router and it works fine again...for about a day...the it'll be the same thing over and over...

other places i go, its the same thing...it just wont work on the wifi...

wtf is the deal...its so dam frustrating...anybody else have a problem with this??

why can't the wifi just f'ing work?!?

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Something must be wrong with your Droid. Mine has never had any trouble with wifi, your the first person I've heard complain about it.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Mine works flawlessly ... at home, at work, and anywhere else I've tried it. And WiFi tether is sweet too. So ... I really don't know what else to tell you. :confused:

4. wolftickets

wolftickets Active Member

Mine works too.

5. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Yeah, trade your phone in. Never had an issue with WiFi

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Sounds like the wifi's have it. Must be your phone. Mine works great too.

7. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Well-Known Member

you should have taken the phone back before the 30 days was up.

8. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

yeah my WIFI works great with no problems.

9. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Mine is similar. It's terrible at connecting to any wifi. Often it will tell me that my own wireless is not in range when it's about 4' from the router. I have to keep turning the wifi off then back on a few times before it will pick up the signal. I've just decided to go without out. Thankfully I get strong 3G and its quick enough for my needs.

10. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize we were the only ones... My wifi is horrible too, I constantly have to turn off and turn on wifi. Damn

11. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member

My wifi works great; home, work, other places I've been as well

12. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

I <3 my wifi, no problems here.. or at restaurants.. or at work.

13. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I had problems with my wifi at first, but then I found out it was just my router that needed fixed. Other than that, I've never had a problem, especially outside of my house.

14. carlz28

carlz28 Well-Known Member

I USED to have this problem. But when the 2.0.1 update came out back in Dec.(?) it was fixed on my phone. I don't even think it was a known problem, but miraculously it cleared my issues. (Maybe just coincidence though)
    I remember a few threads awhile back about people having issues with their routers. It would work for a day or two, then it would stop working (the wireless part of the router)
    I noticed it as well. I would be using wifi on my phone sitting right at my desktop and all would be good. Then two or three days later my GF's laptop wouldn't be working. Said it was connected, but no traffic was coming over the air. I ended up rebooting/resetting the router and all would be good again...but only for another few days. So I tested by not using wifi on the phone for over a week and weirdly had no more router issues. Wouldn't you know it, started wifi on the phone again and, yup, you guessed it, 2-3 days later, the router was all whacky again. I tried it on both secure/non secure settings and still had the same issue. I searched and found my router had a firmware update available so I applied the patch but still had the problem.

Back to the point, I don't have anymore issues and the wifi works great and causes no more router issues either. Wish I knew exactly what the problem was to give the OP an idea of what to check.
    But you are not alone. It is something that others (albeit a few) have experienced. :(

15. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Like others have said, my wifi is smooth.

16. x475aws

x475aws Active Member

Very long thread about WiFi on the Motorola forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16191

There's more than one kind of WiFi problem on the Droid. The one where you can't connect at all, or can connect but can't transfer IP data, some people have found solutions that work for them. E.g. changing the encryption. Then there's the one like I have, where I can connect and transfer data, but throughput slows down and then stops. This happens on open networks like bookstores and cafes, as well as my home network. I've heard of no solution for that one. And changing phones won't help. I had the problem on two early Droids. And I just exchanged for a new one (04/10 build code) because my old one died, and the new one acts the same on my home WiFi network.

17. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I want to throw my phone against a brick wall when I use wifi but I love it too much to even think those thoughts for long lol.

18. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

No wifi problems here but I suggest you get a replacement droid or try another kernel.

19. matthew.k.taylor

matthew.k.taylor Member

the wifi on my droid did the same thing to my home network. completely f'd the wireless router's world. couldn't get on my laptop, and even my hardwired ps3 wouldn't sign in. had to reboot everything twice.

20. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

My wifi sucks. Very hard to get on.

21. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

My WiFi works fairly well, however the problem I have is it's slow. While it is still faster than 3G, I don't even come close to using all 15mbit of my home connection. Have tried different channels, setting to G mode only, different encryption, never gets the full speed.

However since I don't really download anything large on my phone, the 2.5-5mbit I do get is still more than adequate.

22. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I think that's all it can do. That's all I get as well.

23. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with wifi is when I'm at work where we have a number of access points throughout our building. If I'm connected at one and I walk in range of another, it doesn't always reconnect. I sometimes have to turn the wifi off and on again for it to connect. Other than that, it seems to work fine.

24. padrone00

padrone00 Well-Known Member

I have been having problems on my home network and on my work wireless. Sometime sit will connect, but other times it will not and I either turn the wifi off and on or I will go into the wifi settings and tell it to retry the connection. It only happens sometimes so it has been difficult to find a pattern. The weird thing is, it has only been doing this for the past three or four weeks.

I'm just hoping 2.1 will get it fixed.

25. sbursik

sbursik Well-Known Member

I had the WiFi issues too but only with my home router. I turned off the mixed mode G/N and the problem went away. I dont have any N devices on my network so it wasnt a big deal. I had read this as a solution on another forum.