• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is the WiFI such garbage??

I had the WiFi issues too but only with my home router. I turned off the mixed mode G/N and the problem went away. I dont have any N devices on my network so it wasnt a big deal. I had read this as a solution on another forum.
Hmm... I am rocking an N router... Maybe I should look if I can turn the N broadcast off since I'm only using N wired...

Upvote 0
if you are having troubles at home, it might be interference from a neigbors router.

Download an app called 'wifinder'. Do a scan with it and check to see if there are other strong signals on the same channel as your router. If there is, they might be interfering with yours. Try reconfiguring your router to use a different channel.

This might help.

BTW wifinder is a great app!

Upvote 0
I've had wifi issues since day one with my droid. It still won't connect at work on an open access point, and frequently at home I have to actually click the wifi settings so that the phone will obtain an IP address. I also frequently get "page failed to load, no data connection" error.

None of these issues ever occur when I'm using Verizon's 3G network everywhere I go. So again, why is the Droid's WiFi capabilities so crappy? And yes, I'm comparing it to an iphone, which sadly....just works.

Upvote 0
I've had wifi issues since day one with my droid. It still won't connect at work on an open access point, and frequently at home I have to actually click the wifi settings so that the phone will obtain an IP address. I also frequently get "page failed to load, no data connection" error.

None of these issues ever occur when I'm using Verizon's 3G network everywhere I go. So again, why is the Droid's WiFi capabilities so crappy? And yes, I'm comparing it to an iphone, which sadly....just works.
Same issues here, and my WinMo worked great too.

Upvote 0
The only issue I have is with the cisco wifi user agreement that i have to accept at work to gain internet access on the guest network. when I connect to the guest network, I have to open internet explorer to accept the agreement. When I open the internet explorer, it attempts to connect but instead I get the google error stating that the ip address could not be resolved.

Upvote 0
So after getting overly frustrated of my wifi not staying connected I got Verizon to replace my phone. It came in yesterday and stayed connected the entire time at home with no disconnects.

Also at work I was never able to pick up the wifi with the old phone and now it picks it up with full strength!

Upvote 0
I have the "connected but not working" issue.

I love that so many people instantly say "somethings wrong with your phone, swap your phone, get a new phone .. phone phone phone".

Well, I will say this is my second droid, and the issue carried along from one to the next (at least at home). I use a WRT54GL with the latest Tomato firmware installed. I'm currently running Cyanogenmod on my droid, but this happens under stock as well.

I will connect to the router, all is well... but eventually i will hop back on my phone and all data fails. If i turn wifi off it all works, if I turn it back on it works again ... until later.

I've had multiple devices using this router (iPhone, Nintendo DS, HTC Hero, Droid, macbook pro, asus notebook, other router, etc), I've had encryptions OFF, i currently have wpa2 ON... but it doesn't matter, no matter what I do this problem happens for my droid, but none of my other devices.

it's very annoying... i tend to only turn wifi on now when I need to use droidremote or boxeeremote

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones