Why is the WiMax hotspot thing such a big deal?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

May 7, 2010
    according to this article, a wimax hotspot will be an additional charge; Sprint Evo 4G WiMax hotspot will definitely have a monthly charge | Android Central

however, isn't setting up a wifi hotspot by software the same thing and free? well i'm not an adroid user, but with my Sprint HTC Touch Pro2 with MightyROM i can set it up to be a wifi router and connect my laptop to it so i can access the net with my laptop.

2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

Oct 12, 2009
    probably out of the box with other software programs such as wmwifirouter, they may not be able to tap into the 4g side, only just the 3g side...
  3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Apr 11, 2010
    As of right now, the only way to do it is to use the sprint hotspot app on the phone, which we currently dont know if it will be free or not. but i'm sure within a month or two, someone will develop another app to do it.
  4. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I have a TP2 as well w/ sprint. Kicker is, it's 3g. It also broadcasts as an adhoc connection which some devices have a huge issue connecting to. Also, TP2's cannot support up to 8 devices at the same time like the Evo4g can.
  5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    It's seen as a premium feature and they will make a good bit of cash by giving people the option for a charge. Most folks will see that feature advertised and buy it if they need it rather than poking around online to see how you set that kind of thing up by yourself. Until someone develops a program like this it will probably be the only way to set up a 4G hotspot at all. I use it so rarely I will be fine using it over USB or whatever until someone else makes a third party version.
    shook187 likes this.
  6. akayareal

akayareal Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    This is a big deal to the average consumer how may have a Sprint phone and a Verizon or Att mifi or data card or what ever combo you want to throw together. This feature in a 4g area will help someone reduce there cell phone charges by now having faster data and only having one device to carry around.

The real kicker to me will be if the phone can do voice and data together. This would mean being on a business call and also being able to pull up info on your laptop via wimax.

I personally can care less about connecting to 8 devices. i only want to be able to connect to my Mac via usb, wifi, or bluetooth and also be able to hold a convo on that phone (even though i have a second phone that can pull this all off). I just like having the option to do this because there has been a good amount of times i have been on my TP2 and need to either get info online via my laptop or the phone itself and there was no wifi available.