1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is there no macro program?

Last Updated:

1. DRMMR02

DRMMR02 Member This Topic's Starter

There seem to be 74 different apps that switch sound profiles or dim the screen and turn stuff on and off. But why is there no consolidated macro program? Not just for profiles, but to control other things as well. Like being able to place a shortcut on your home screen labeled "Go Home", and when it's pressed, it turns on GPS, turn off screen timeout, opens Google Maps Navigation, AND sets the destination to whatever your own address is.

Or instead of using the YouTube app by itself, make a shortcut that turns off screen timeout, sets brightness to 100%, maybe turns on wifi, and opens the YouTube app.

An app that allows you to write a series of actions, including switching profiles, turning things on and off, opening or closing programs, even changing settings inside a program, like the aforementioned setting a predetermined address as the destination inside Navigation, would be awesome. It would be nice to save a little time by having the same 4 or 5 different actions you do to do the same thing each time all consolidated into a shortcut or something, especially when driving.

Is there any program like this, and if not, how come?

Advertisement
  2. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Well-Known Member

3. DRMMR02

Hasn't that program basically been vaporware for some time now?

4. Stretch2m

No, it's definitely not vaporware -- they are still actively updating it. I am currently running 0.19 and I just noticed they have a 0.20 now, that I'll have to go grab. The edit date on the "latest version" posting is 4/17/2010. Just in the time that I've been testing it, it's already blossomed in functionality.

I am always amazed that more people haven't jumped on this. It's the answer to so many people's question of, "Is there any way ....?"

5. DRMMR02

I think the fact that they don't release an actual version of it has a lot to do with it. I've heard of tasker before, but it just seems like its been a the buggy development state for a while. That probably turns a lot of potential users off.

6. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I don't really have a solution for macros but you can do most of this specific example. Add a shortcut to your home screen, select Directions & Navigation, enter the address, and select the icon you want.

The only thing this won't do is turn on GPS. If you have it toggled off it will open up the menu so you can turn it on manually. When you are in Navigation the screen won't time out; it isn't a setting you have to change.

7. DRMMR02

How exactly do I get tasker to open Navigation and set a destination?

8. Stretch2m

Well there might be a way to script a Google Maps navigation in Tasker, but I admit I couldn't figure it out. One alternative would be to create a navigation shortcut as described above, and then you can set up a profile in Tasker to turn on GPS whenever Google Maps opens. This I know for a fact would work, and I think has the net effect you're looking for. One click of that shortcut would activate GPS and then the navigation would kick in.

9. Sokoban

Sokoban New Member

llama is so much better :/