Why is there no push for facebook notifications?

Last Updated:

1. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's pretty much all I want to know. I have no constructive input (save for that the release of the SDK may herald a new era of notifications for facebook :p), but just wanted to complain. That is all.

Advertisement
  2. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I agree. I think it sucks that there's no notification system but I do have it set up so that I get an email from Facebook whenever I get a comment, post, message, etc. I really hope there's a better Facebook app in the near future :(

3. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Probably because Facebook came to Android only recently. I hope a new version is due soon as well.

4. Nitraine21

Nitraine21 Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, I actually received a FB notification on my EVO earlier today...I should have taken a screen shot, but it looks like it may have notifications, albeit could very well be buggy, and work sometimes and not for others

5. gatorchomp83

gatorchomp83 Active Member

^I received a Facebook notification just a minute ago as well.

6. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I had to turn that off on my Pre because I was getting dupes...one from email and one from Facebook. I like the emails since they are easier to reply to.

7. mrk

Afaik, you only receive notifications if someone sends you an actual message. I've scoured all possible settings that could lead for notifications of more regular activities, but have come up short. Perhaps you've found something?

8. mrk

Understandable. personally, I keep email notifications for facebook off--my facebook and my email are considered by me to be quite separate things. How would it be easier to respond over email, by the way? Not sure I get that.

9. Dession

Dession Well-Known Member

Download Bloo you guys, it sends push Facebook notifications. The only one I get from the official Facebook app is when I get a message.

10. mrk

But it's hideous! Inelegant, too :(.

11. Dession

Dession Well-Known Member

It's not that bad, I use it for notifications only though. Anything else I use the Facebook app.

12. septro

septro Well-Known Member

Push Facebook notifications??! My phone would blow up with:

"Man I took a crazy dump today"
    "I'm cooking dinner"
    "Omg I met this hawt chick last night!"
    "Uggh..it's only Wednesday"
    "Damm.. its only Thursday"
    "I hate Mondays"

And all that is just from my Mom!

sudtle likes this.
  13. neodorian

Because replying to the email notification will add your comment to the thread, saving you from having to fire up the Facebook app. It's just a personal preference. Gmail and Facebook are my personal life and Exchange is my professional life. I don't mind email notifications in my Gmail. Saves me from having to constantly log in to Facebook.

It's not like that. It's for when people either comment on your wall, send you a message, or comment on a thread that you are part of/"liked". I like getting the emails so I can follow conversations without having to log in to Facebook all the time.

14. blu3g

blu3g Well-Known Member

Lol! I think he implying that his mom writes those things on his walk constantly so he wouldn't want that. But I think it would be great if the facebook app had notifications built in.

15. neodorian

Sorry...didn't get that one. I thought he was making fun of people's inane status updates. Those don't get pushed via notification or email.

16. mrk

Ah! Cool. I can see why you'd want to do that.

17. leegseegs

leegseegs Well-Known Member

I could get Push FB notifications fine on my nexusone... but I have not been able to get it working on the Evo. Does it have something to do with the fact that there are two apps, Facebook, and Facebook for HTC Sense?

18. ortizdupri

ortizdupri Active Member

Funny, it's sad that the Blackberry Facebook app is miles ahead of the Android Facebook app (at least as far as push notifications and what not)...

19. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

Its because the Facebook Android app sucks. By far the best facebook app is on the iPhone, it even supports chat, which is pretty nuts.

Hopefully the Facebook Android gets better soon, I grow weary waiting for a decent FB android app.