• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Why isn't my laptop detecting Hotspot Apps for rooted phones.

HuskerDude

Aug 10, 2013
Hello,

I rooted my phone in order to use Hotspot Apps for rooted phones, the funny things is that none of them work. None of them are detected by my laptop. Other apps that don't require rooting do work however, like Foxfi. The only reason I'm trying to use Hotspot Apps for rooted phones is to connect to my Xbox.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: HuskerDude
Upvote 0
I use the Hotspot Toggle Widget by Fattin from the Play Store on my 4.2.2 non-rooted Verizon GN. Has worked dependably for me. VZW allows tethering without penalty or extra charges due to an agreement forced upon them by the FCC when they acquired some of their LTE spectrum.

That is true if you are on Tiered Data. If you are still running unlimited they don't have to allow tethering.

Upvote 0
You'll have to install the zip file. You can do so using a file manager like Estrongs file manager or through a custom recovery like clockwork.

I downloaded the zip and used ASTRO File Manager, I clicked on everything but nothing happens. It says Action not Found, when I try to install the APK it tells me that it could not be Installed. Hm would I need to go through custom recovery?

There are also multiple files, which one goes first?
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I use the Hotspot Toggle Widget by Fattin from the Play Store on my 4.2.2 non-rooted Verizon GN. Has worked dependably for me. VZW allows tethering without penalty or extra charges due to an agreement forced upon them by the FCC when they acquired some of their LTE spectrum.

Have you tried connecting an Xbox 360? I can use different Hotspot Apps to connect about everything in my house except for my Xbox and Vita.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the zip and used ASTRO File Manager, I clicked on everything but nothing happens. It says Action not Found, when I try to install the APK it tells me that it could not be Installed. Hm would I need to go through custom recovery?

There are also multiple files, which one goes first?
Thanks again.

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to the file type.... if it is a zip file you need to install it through recovery. If you are using clockwork, reboot to recovery and then choose "install zip from sdcard"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones