Why isn't the Fascinate considered a DROID by Verizon?

Last Updated:

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, this is my question...What does a phone have to have to be considered a Droid by VZW? It's not a moto thing because the Incredible has the Droid name attached to it, and it's an HTC phone. I would think all Android Phones put out by vzw would carry the name. Is the Fascinate not EVIL enough for the Robotic, Terminator marketing, and instead they use a merry go round conveyor belt with a bunch of Fascinates attached to it for commercials and marketing? My fear is that the Fascinate will get left behind, and the attention will go towards phones with the Droid name. When I say left behind I mean updates and what not, and just plain love from Google, considering the whole BING fiasco and how that must have pissed of Google....Good going VERIZON!

However , I think it's one of the best Android Phones out right now!!!

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The answer to that probably lives in the Microsoft (Bing) vs Google matrix. ;)

3. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I get the whole Bing thing, from a business prospective! However this is an Android phone, and after all....Google is Android! I have to think it pissed Google off a little bit....But why no Droid Luv...Hmmm? Shame... Phone Rocks!!!

4. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

I don't think it has to do with Bing. I think it has to do with it not being exclusive to Verizon. Wouldn't sound as great if it was a Droid Fascinate, and you saw the commercial then saw the Vibrant or Captivate. You'd think, "Oh, look AT&T and T-Mo have a Droid phone."

I think because of Samsungs market push and intentions, e.g. them wanting the Galaxy S EVERYWHERE, kept them from wanting to put Droid in front. Since the start of Android on Verizon, and in turn the Droid market campaign, every Droid phone model has been exclusive to Verizon. No Droid 1/2/X or Dincs on any other carrier in the US or a version of them.

As for Bing, once Samsung approached Verizon about it, Verizon pretty much said "Ok, we will carry a version, but we want this on there and we are going to put this on there...make it happen or it isn't launching on our carrier." At least that is what I heard, which makes sense...frustratingly.

The phone will be supported as long as Samsung is making updates, Verizon just pushes it out when they think it is up to snuff with no bugs or hiccups. They have a longer testing process, or so it would seem, but they will support it if Samsung comes up with an update.

5. jasondhsd

jasondhsd Well-Known Member

I came here to ask the same question. I just watch a commercial for Fasinate, it didn't even mention Android once not in text or voice over. It said something like "Introducing the all new Samsung Fascinate with super AMOLED screen powered by Verizon" And at the end it had a graphic Fascinate a Samsung Galaxy-S phone. No android logo, no mention of it being an android phone at all.

Here's the commercial I saw. YouTube - Rotate

6. summerfish

summerfish Well-Known Member

This would also fall under the Motorola Devour also. the Devour was not named DROID Devour. The Fascinate is a Galaxy S Phone by Samsung about being an Android Powered phone offered by Verizon. I do agree that the commercial should mention Android but they may "assume" if you're interested because of the Super AMOLED screen you would find out on your own that it is Android.

7. chasemyaccord

chasemyaccord Well-Known Member

Who cares! Hahaha. Personally I don't like the "droid" name anyway.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  8. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters because it is better than any Droid!

9. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting article from before it's release:

Samsung Fascinate Is A Galaxy S For Verizon [Verizon Gets Their Own Galaxy S Variant, But With No Droid Branding?] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

Anyhow, my guess would be that although Verizon licenses the Droid name from Lucas, Inc., VZW probably pushes part of this licensing cost through to the device manufacturers. It would make sense for HTC and Moto to pay some of this cost since their devices are each exclusives on respective carrier networks. I would bet Samsung probably said no, since they want the Galaxy S line to be known as the Galaxy S, no matter what carrier it's on, and they would have only been able to use Droid on the Verizon version. Just my thoughts...

10. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

Can't reference Android and Google in marketing materials or brand it "with Google" unless you meet specific criteria. Removal of Google Search and Maps tends to cause that.

11. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

1. Samsung has the phone on all carriers.
    2. Droid phones are exclusive to verizon wireless.
    3. The fascinate is a version of a phone that is not exclusive to verizon wireless.
    4. There is no incentive to calling it a droid, there is no incentive to pushing this phone, its like having 4 gas stations all selling snickers inside, regardless of which one you go into, you'll get a snikcker, regardless of whether gas station A adds "Awesome" to the thier snicker packaging...