• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why isn't there a Facetime app for android?

spottyelephant

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2009
...seeing as it's an open standard, it would kinda make sense.

I know,ye, there's loads of alternatives, but that's irrelevant because I would simply like an android facetime app that can chat with my iPhone owning mates who are only going to use Facetime, no matter how much they are told about other alternatives.

Do you reckon it'll come?

Given that there are zero Apple apps for Android (not surprisingly either) I would say it will come December 22, 2012. Since when is Facetime an open standard? I was under the impression that Apple doesn't let any other apps including Skype utilize the front facing camera. Am I incorrect there?

Upvote 0
Given that there are zero Apple apps for Android (not surprisingly either) I would say it will come December 22, 2012. Since when is Facetime an open standard? I was under the impression that Apple doesn't let any other apps including Skype utilize the front facing camera. Am I incorrect there?
I have talked with my son using Tango. He has an IPhone with a front facing camera. and I have an EVO. It works pretty well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
spottyelephant,
Thanks for linking back to my post about the openness of FaceTime.
There's a roundup I did about FaceTime, which effectively explains the innerworkings of it: FaceTime Roundup: Posts From The Web - VoIP Survivor

In short, Apple isn't going to open up FaceTime for 3rd party developers anytime soon or let Android devices connect with FaceTime. The only way to connect video calls between the two is by third party apps such as Tango, Skype or others.
It's a shame, but I don't think it will change any time soon.
Apple might try to standardize their FaceTime solution, but they will closely guard the connectivity into their network through their push notification server, where call initiation is handled.

Tsahi

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying that Tsahi .

I just thought it was weird because they launched it with the intention of it being an Open Standard that they hoped industry would adopt.

Hopefully Skype gets in the quick with a similarily slick video calling capability that is truely cross-platform.

I have too many friends around the world i wanna keep in contact with, and there's just no hope of dragging them all over to a new service like Tango or something!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones