WHY ME??? Samsung Galaxy S4 battery issues!Support

1. applachia

applachia New Member

Hello androidforum users! This is very well my first post. I'd like some advice and feedback on an issue I'm having with my relatively new Galaxy S4. Bear with me, this may be slightly long winded..

A while back (let's say early November) I dropped hot tea all over my S4. Such a stupid act, I know. I didn't even think to immediately take the battery out and let the phone dry in rice at least. That came to me hours later when I think the damage had been done. After that, my phone wouldn't charge. It would show the yellow triangle and the temperature sign. I thankfully had it fixed (for about 90$ since I didn't not buy this phone straight from a carrier or a place that would give me warranty, another stupid act) The guy had to take the phone apart and wipe the inside of the phone and the problem was fixed.

NOW, I recently dropped my phone and the LCD Screen cracked. I had that fixed again for 250$ and I got it back today. I didn't immediately charge it since I was going somewhere...I also left it in the cold car idk if hat played a part but YET AGAIN the phone is claiming to have a low battery temperature and the charging has been paused. I am pretty much pissed off at this point. Idk what to do. Is it worth it? Why did I even get this god forsaken samsung. I should have gotten an iPhone, that doens't have a removable battery and is perfect.

I'm sorry. Anywho. Do any solutions for this issue exist? I'm tired of shelling out hundreds of dollars and another problem around the corner. I would appreciate ANY insight at all...thanks a bunch!

Advertisement
    :
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to Android Forums applachia! :)

You do seem to have had a whole series of misadventures with your phone that you appear to attribute to it being a Samsung Galaxy S4 and not an Apple iPhone...

I don't think that that can be blamed on it being an S4 and I doubt that an iPhone would have fared any better under the circumstances, do you?

Again, not the S4's fault that you did not think to switch it off immediately and remove the battery and place it in uncooked rice for 4 or 5 days. This, of course, you could not have done with the iPhone's built-in battery.

Sounds like the water damage may have started to corrode your phone. You say that you took it to someone, possibly not an official Samsung Service Point, and that they, "wiped the inside". However, by this time there could have been microscopic corrosion already set in which, unless parts are replaced, can spread, causing further damage in the long term. The iPhone would have not been any better with such treatment and servicing I'm afraid. As for the warranty issue, neither the S4 or the iPhone would have been covered for liquid damage.

Yet again, not the Galaxy S4's fault and something which the iPhone would also have been damaged by.

Again, you do not mention if the repair was carried out at a Samsung Service Point or at your local shop. Either way, you should take it back and explain the issue that you are having since the repair and get them to look at it for you and at the same time, check for any water damage.

Why is the Galaxy S4, "god forsaken"? As we have seen, the mishaps that have befallen it were not the fault of the S4 and the same would have happened with the iPhone given such treatment.

Again, as we have seen, the iPhone would have fared no better with hot liquid and being dropped, than the S4. In fact, had you done the correct thing and removed the battery immediately and placed it in uncooked rice for 4 or 5 days, the S4 would have been better than the iPhone with its non-removable battery. Neither phone would have been covered under warranty for either of the mishaps you have described.

Therefore, I am at a loss to understand why you think that the iPhone would have been, "perfect", given such treatment.

Your best course of action is to take your phone to an authorised Samsung Service Point and to get it checked over, thoroughly to see what damage has been incurred and if there is any, how much it will cost to get a repair done.

Please do not think I am being hard on you but I do believe that at the end of the day it is not the Galaxy S4's fault and that if you had an iPhone you would still be in the same position as you are now, save for the fact that you would have spent a great deal more money on the iPhone. ;)
  3. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

OMG - couldn't agree more! Well stated! I've had my S4 for 6 months and haven't had a single problem worth noting. Of course, I haven't taken my phone for a swim (like my GNex) or thrown it against a wall lately, so I'd better reserve judgement for now.

Thanks again for your comments! My apologies to the OP, but I don't have any cost-effective solutions for you. Maybe get a new battery? Hate to see you spend more money, but that's all I can contribute.
  4. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Ok, I'd like to suggest that's enough piling on. The first response was quite thorough. I also think Samsung repair is a good option to look into...they do good repair work with thorough testing.....just expect to be without your phone for two weeks or so. call them up and find out how much time and money.
    Mikestony likes this.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

As electricpete said, that's enough of the piling on, thanks. :)

/thread cleaned ;)
  6. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Your a hazard to mobile devices, buy something cheaper to replace it like the Moto G or buy a waterproof phone and tough case to protect it from you. :D

Water damage is usually the end of a phone if not treated right away, they may function but your always going to have problems with it from this point on.

Repairs are usually quite expensive unless your lucky, replacing the motherboard can cost as much 2 thirds the cost of the phone itself so it's not usually worth it.

Samsung repair as mentioned above is your best bet but might prove costly.
  7. MYKEL61

MYKEL61 Well-Known Member

I agree Shocky.. had a HTC Rezound.. dropped it in the toilet..dont ask...LOL dried it out in rice for a week. It worked fine for about 9 months and then the motherboard went. Lets just say lesson learned. No more phones in the bathroom...LOL
  8. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

Or in a hot tub after a few beers. Lesson learned here too!
  9. applachia

applachia New Member

I should have clarified, when I initially spilled tea on the phone, I DID get a part replaced. That's why it cost 90 bucks. And it worked perfectly fine until the terrible fall.

Anywho, I'm planning on taking it back to the place I had the LCD screen fixed at. I mean when I took the phone to them it was charging just fine. They returned it to me with this damage. I'm not planning on giving them 250 dollars of my money for them to give me more issues. And if all roads lead to a dead end I will go to a samsung sevice centre.

The only reason I place the iPhone on such a pedestal is because a friend of mine dropped her phone in snow...her boss found it a week later when some of the snow had melted and things were slightly more visible. Lo and behold, her phone works 100% perfectly. I was shocked and still am...that kind of water damage? I mean really..

Thank you for all your comments guys, I do appreciate the feedback :) Wish me luck!
  10. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

I can believe GS4 is a little easier to break than an iPhone
    Larger screen on GS4 will be a little easier to break.
    Replaceable battery on GS4 means there is a seam in the case which provides another point for water entry.
    That's not to say GS4 is inferior, just something to keep in mind as you handle your phone.
    Other models like Samsung Rugby are designed to be tougher.

Torture test of iPhone 5 - did pretty well but did not survive 15 seconds under water.
    iPhone 5 Torture Test - YouTube
  11. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

If that story is true which I doubt she was extremely lucky or we are missing some key information, simple as that because the iPhone is NOT water resistant.

Please buy an iPhone next, just because I know based on the usage you have shared with us you will damage it pretty quickly and I strongly support damaging iPhones. :p
  12. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

He didn't mention if it had a case on it. If that's the case, I made a funny :D, then the iPhone would survive in such conditions.