Why no IMAP IDLE on HTC mail?Support

Last Updated:

1. narf

narf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a few questions:

1. Why did HTC not include IMAP IDLE (push) as an option in their mail client?

2. Does K-9 Mail drain your battery faster if set to IMAP IDLE (push) ? I have heard varying opinions on this.

3. I considered just forwarding all email to gmail since it does use IMAP IDLE but I was wondering if I reply to an email that is forwarded to gmail will it send it from my gmail address or can I have it sent from the original forwarded address?

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member

The current version of K-9 (from the marketplace) has a bug that causes it to suck the battery dry. I've been told that the latest version (not maketplace) fixes this issue but I can't get it to work right. I have a bug open with K-9 development and I'll post an update here if/when I get it working right.

3. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same battery life with K-9 that I got before I installed it. I'm using it for my .Mac IMAP account and I swear it gets the emails FASTER than the iPad sitting right next to me. I LOVE K-9. Folder Poll Check Frequency set to 1 hour BTW.

4. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member

@mrjinglesusa, What version of K-9 are you running? I think the issue with it killing the battery depends on your mail providers IDLE settings.

5. mrjinglesusa

K-9 Mail 2.6

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

6. mrjinglesusa

Not sure what IDLE settings .Mac uses.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

7. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

i use k-9 and it uses less battery than polling constantly

if it let you copy/paste without having to click "forward" then i'd be perfectly satisfied with it.

8. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member

I could never get K-9 to "Push" my yahoo mail so I removed the app. Does anyone know what POLL settings or Push settings I should set it to? Previously I set POLL to manual and set Push to 1st class folders.

9. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

PUSH will use considerably less battery than polling.

I have always run the 27xx builds and never seen any battery issues.

I don't see a way to reply to one account's emails with a different identity. (you can change the reply to addy which may or may not be enough for your needs)

My guess on the HTC question is that it is not a priority to the devs. (These priorities led to the K-9 branch (for better or worse).