Why no media reviews yet?

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it because most of the hardware is the same as X and the design is very similar to the Droid 1, that media interest is low? Seems the only people pushing this device are a few Android blogs. This is compared to previously launch devices for Droid 1, X, EVO and Inc.

Even the posts in this forum are kind of low, compared to the original Droid, the Inc, the EVO and the X. Lack of media reviews and total preliminary posts here suggests the Droid 2 is being treated as as a Droid 1 refresh, hence the lack of high interest.

I would consider the Droid 2, IF the sound output from the 3.5mm jack is louder and better range than the Droid 1 and X.

Advertisement
  2. xrussx

xrussx Well-Known Member

I bet you will see some today, its the official release. :) Looks like VZW just didn't send them out early.

3. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here is a preview: This site is pretty good with their reviews and a key ding is Blur. Why does Motorola keep screwing devices up with this? Does their R&D VP of software have some strange pull with the CEO? ;)

Review: DROID 2 by Motorola - Technorati Android

4. zoeb786

zoeb786 Member

I took a chance and ordered mine. I have not seen any proper reviews from the main sources, namely, engadget and bgr.

5. shakez

shakez Member

lol I found it funny that they are adverting both the X and the 2 in the banner ads... on the review page

6. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

Comparing the 'out of the box' experience with Blur versus Sense versus TouchWiz is one thing but what I don't understand is why reviewers keep complaining about aspects of the stock UIs that they could easily address if they bothered. In the review linked there is the comment "For me, most of the preinstalled widgets and onscreen gadgets were not wanted and made the home-screen feel jumbled. Personally I would prefer to download my social networking apps from the Android Market." Okay, so spend a few minutes to remove the widgets and stuff you don't like and to add what you do like. Would that change the review? This comment, as many similar ones in reviews of other phones, seems to be saying that the reviewer expected an 'out of the box' UI that fit them perfectly without having to do anything. At least for me, that someone personally prefers to use some other widget you can download is good information to offer but it does not represent a problem or a 'con' for the device and differs from aspects of the UI not working properly or being laggy or being themselves awkward to use.

I also think there is a tendency for many reviewers that have been using one device or UI for some time to overlook that they have likely become used to what that and may initially find any other UI awkward or cumbersome. The "not what I'm used to" factor seems to potentially affect many reviews.

7. DROIDing

DROIDing Well-Known Member

Anything on Gizmodo or Engadget yet? I already own it, so I guess it doesn't matter much - but being a new Android user, I am always anxious to get some more info and make the most of the phone :)

8. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

Engadget has their review of the Droid 2 up.

DROIDing likes this.
  9. DROIDing

Thanks AMD, I saw that and wasn't too pleased with their disdain for the phone - but so far so good for me. I can see where a super-seasoned phone savvy professional that reviews hundreds of phones for a living could nit-pick if they tried hard enough, but for me (a casual user upgrading from a Winmo phone) it was/is a great device that I know I'll be happy with until my next available upgrade in August of 2011.

Do I wish it had a better camera, sure, but what cell phone truly can take pictures in low light and correctly auto-focus without artifacts?

Also, I am a little overwhelmed about two things:

1. The amount of apps and which ones to download and use to get the most from the phone
    2. This is way more pressing/discouraging that #1, but I REALLY wish I knew how to properly play games (roms) on the Emulator(s) I downloaded. I went to Roms, Emulators, and Cheats - DopeROMs - GBA Roms, SNES Roms, N64 Roms, Playstation Roms, NES Roms, GB Roms, GBC Roms, MAME Roms, SG Roms..., which has A TON of Roms, and I even downloaded the 1200-in-1 regualr Nintendo (not SNES) rom with supposedly 1,200 games I guess, and I tried Mario which worked great... but as soon as I died the game froze, and after I exited the Rom I couldn't find it ANYWHERE on my phone! Where is it (the Rom), and why doesn't Android ask me 'where to save' the file when I download something online?

10. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

The reviews? What's to review? LOL. Now the X, there's where it's at.

11. D_Sweet

D_Sweet Member

The ROM will be in the "Download" folder on your SD card. When you start your emulator it should give you a list of all the folders on your SD card, scroll down to the download folder click it then scroll through and find the ROM, click it & it should open the game in your emulator. You could also go to the market & download Estrongs File Explorer & use that to access the files on your SD card, find the folder "Download" open it then scroll through & find your ROM click it and it will ask you if you want to us your Emulator to run the program.

12. DROIDing

THANK you so much! I keep getting a huge amount of SD card errors, its "unmounted," or "busy," etc - I couldn't even access pictures the other day - never had these problems with Winmo. I did however hook my phone up to the laptop via USB, and was able to explore the phone and access the download folder, where the Dope Roms 1200-n-1 NES ROM was :)

Thanks for your help.