why no moment custom romsSupport

Last Updated:

1. ps3evader

ps3evader New Member This Topic's Starter

title says all:mad:

Advertisement
  2. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

We are supposed to go up to 2.1 very soon... so why bother?

3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

cause it is a sign of lack of mod support, which would kinda suck... options are always a good thing

4. pdx77

pdx77 Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is that the moment is kind of unique and there aren't alot of counterparts to it. The Hero has the advantage that it's also on Verizon and other carriers.

5. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Have you been over to SDX? They are pretty much devoted to just getting the regular bugs worked out of this phone that Samsung has plainly ignored, and working on a working on porting 2.1. Plus, why should they bother working on a custom ROM when it will be outdated in a few weeks from now?

The Moment just hit the market in Nov. We didn't even have people working on it in the hacker community until a couple weeks later, and didn't have stable root access until sometime around mid-December if memory serves me correctly. At that point, they could have started working on custom ROMs, except there was the rumor of the impending CL14 update from Sprint that would have possibly ruined any ROM that had been developed... So why bother? Then once the CL14 made it out, Samsung made the announcement that 2.1 would hit within the next 2-3 months.

I don't blame the hacker community for not creating any ROMs when they were notified that there was only a 2-3 month window before their baby would become obsolete. Sure, it would be nice to have them in the mean time... but I wouldn't put that much effort into something while knowing that it would soon be dropped.

6. justlovejoy

justlovejoy Well-Known Member

Well I know that the main thing is having the proper stuff to enjoy a rom and critical put it at its best! I have a custom theme installed on mine. Its decent but I do understand the request for something like a cliq rom or something. It might just be a samsung and htc incompatability issue as well. I don't know for certain. I guess its all about patience!

7. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I think rather than looking at it as 'lack of ROMs' the support comment above has it nailed. Sure SDX is going to have something soon, but seriously, nobody is going to put the time in for one carrier, one manufacturer, one product line. It'd be a waste.

When you look at the Hero, it's an HTC product which XDA Devs has been working for - what 10 or 15 years now? HTC has a serious following, Samsung does not.

8. cosine83

cosine83 Well-Known Member

To be on the fair side, SDX has a pretty good optimized kernel together for the Moment. There's also the theme support that does not require a new home app. Speedrabbit's modified kernel enables wifi tethering which is based off of joeykrim's SDX kernel. There really doesn't need to be a full custom ROM for the Moment, but I believe there is one in the works. I'd say if the EOM release rumor for 2.1 proves to be false we'll probably see something resembling a full-blown custom ROM soon.

It's pretty simple to completely modify your Moment now. Installing a new kernel takes a few minutes and only requires the sprint update utility, then install a recovery tool which requires the same thing, and then you can install a new theme from there. Then you can start removing stock apps. The learning curve is fairly ****** friendly and the guides on SDX are fairly well-written.

9. duckthehobo

duckthehobo Member

From what I've read over at SDX problems are mainly in finding necessary drivers to make hardware run properly, for the hero, those have all been leaked, or a small modification from another device. By all means you can put 2.1 on your moment, but you cant make calls, use data connection, its laggy as hell, all these things will be resolved when 2.1 comes out, until then it seems we can either tinker with certain things here and there (which it seems are doing) or sit on our hands until 2.1 comes out.

While i don't mind the look of stock android, I have grown to love my theme (Kanye v3.3 by burst) but i'd predict custom kernal/recovery tool/themes to be adapted quite quickly after 2.1's launch.

So in the mean time, load up a custom kernal, throw a theme on your phone and make yourself as happy as you can...