1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

why no monkey island 2 se on android

Last Updated:

1. Metusion

Metusion Active Member This Topic's Starter

It just came out for iphone and we android users again have to wait or miss out on this great title... what's the deal?

Advertisement
    Pushwall likes this.
  2. Pushwall

Pushwall Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for that bit of information. I'm sure we'll see it on Android soon enough. Money talks! :)

3. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member

Uhhhh... this is pretty obvious. The developer(s) didn't feel like porting it to Android yet.

Gotta realize that the Apple App Store is still a lot more profitable than the Android market. The App Store exposes new apps to people in multiple ways, including more in depth categories and by pointing out what is new and popular. Android market has a long way to go.

If a game does really well on the app store, then the devs might consider porting it over to android hoping that it will get popular by word of mouth alone.

4. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

So it is like most games? The markets haven't reached parity yet, waste of time to worry about this sort of thing till they do.

5. Metusion

hmm just saw that ninja fruit whatever game sold over 2 million "copies" which means 4 million bucks just like that.. sounds good to me for a rather simple game.. Now that they've ported monkey island to iphone (both games) I bet porting it to android wouldn't be that difficult.. Also the marketshare of android is getting bigger and bigger.. Devs should seriously consider the android platform more.. The only problem is that Apple doesn't have that many different phones and hardware unlike android phones which could make it more of a challenge.

6. jim2point0

Sold 2 million on the Apple App store.... NOT android. I'd like to see a source that says it sold 2 mil on Android, because I'm pretty sure there are 0 apps that sold that well on Android yet.

Even though Android has the market share, a lot of devs still won't port games over due to the state of the market. It's bad at exposing new apps that are worth downloading.

7. Metusion

Then why doesnt google improve the market? Theyre supposed to be programming genuises.

8. kanay2000

kanay2000 Active Member

well said. email them.

9. griswolds53

griswolds53 Well-Known Member

For what its worth to some of you, telltale games the maker of monkey island are having a huge sale on their digital downloads for pc and macs. I just dl'ed the secret of monkey island...all five chapters for $5. That's $30 off!! I am on my phone...so I dont have the link. Google telltale games.

10. Extr3m1st

Extr3m1st Well-Known Member

Ya tis a shame that the Android game market is so far behind Apple. That in itself may drive me back to the Iphone in January or at the very least a new Ipod Touch. The Android market is a huge disappointment. There is no reason that Google doesn't have a book store, movie and tv rentals all set up just like Apple has with their market. This is what is stopping me from getting a Droid X. I will stick with my Droid till years end and then make a decision.

11. gregs887

gregs887 Well-Known Member

Hint hint, ScummVM, hint hint....

12. jim2point0

Well I would say that the market is coded rather well :p

The problem is in the design and functionality. It's not very pretty, and it does very little except allow you to search. The categories are so limited it's a joke.

Apple has programming AND creative geniuses working over there. I mean look at all of Google's apps. Does anything really have a pretty UI?

Gingerbread is supposed to be a UI overhaul... so HOPEFULLY the market gets an overhaul too.

13. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

What gregs887 said. Look it up...

14. Pushwall

Pushwall Well-Known Member

FWIW the ScummVM version is fine if you enjoy outdated PC graphics, but the iPad version looks so much better like the current PC version. I played through the original way back when, so I'm hoping the latest and greatest comes to Android.

15. areeve

areeve Member

As has been said, the 2 million is in their Android Market description and references their Apple sales. Also, isn't the game a buck so 2 million -> $2 million. And, of course, Apple (or Google) takes their 30% of a game's sales not that $1.4 million is anything to sneeze at.

You can also see Android sales in the market... I think this was in the 5k-10k range last time I checked a day or two ago.

16. jim2point0

It's in the 10-50k range now. Growing fast. Imagine if Android actually had a decent market that told people about this app! Not everyone visits forums unfortunately :(

The free version of angry birds has been downloaded more than 250,000 times. I'm not sure if it gets more specific than that, but Rovio said on their twitter that they get 100,000 downloads per day...

17. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Hmm, thats too complicated for me :D

18. 123-lancy

123-lancy New Member

Hi all. are there any games on android similar to monkey island?