Why no optical?

Last Updated:

1. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why does the N1 have a dirty, crumb-catching trackball instead of the optical trackpad which seems to be taking over lately? What a bad design flaw, as anyone with a Blackberry will tell you.:mad:

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The optical pad isn't supposed to be that good either.

While I agree the BB ones are crap I've been happy with the trackball on the Nexus One.

3. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

Probably because the trackball isn't completely out of style yet..

and as far as the optical trackpad.. the phone is already touch screen.. so I would imagine the trackball probably provides a slight bit more precission when clicking small links or something than the trackpad or your finger if its a small link... I haven't used alot of either.. but, the trackball seems to be a bit more precise.

4. Curnsie

Curnsie Active Member

I had an HTC legend with the new optical track pad and its not as easy to use as the trackball on the nexus one. The trackball is way more precise

5. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

I never use the trackball. As far as I'm concerned, it's a giant LED for message notifications.

6. VMX

VMX Well-Known Member

My brother has the Incredible that has the track pad. Its not all that great. The design is more flush but the trackball functions alot better. I dont use it much, but when I do, it gets the job done.

7. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I thought it looked funny and wished I had the trackpad at first... but now that I have different colors light up the giant LED ball I wouldn't trade it for all the leprechauns in the world!!

8. seer_claw

seer_claw Member

I agree, its all that I ever use it for. And its great for notifications.:D

9. clutchy

clutchy Well-Known Member

totally agree, i was super skeptical at first but now i like it. Very precise instrument.

great for moving through excel boxes.

10. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I use my trackball to scroll through webpages and edit my texts in email, texts or a post on AF

+ for notification lights

...and no crumbs so far

11. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Lol @ calling the track ball a design flaw. I think it suits the phone perfectly. Even tho I only occasionally use it to correct some text or highlight a textbox to type or smth. In any case it's very easy to use.

12. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

Excel boxes?!?! If you can get excel on the nexus you must tell me!:eek:

13. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

+1 - I use it once in a while for moving the cursor through a text box to correct spelling, but for the most part, just a big notification light. :D

QuickOffice =)

14. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

i've used the incredible, and trust me, the optical sucks!! the trackball is so much better for me. its more sensitive, it moves the cursor much faster, and its much more accurate.

the optical trackpad is literally close to useless when i've used it. trust me, enjoy the trackball while you have it, its really much better to use.

15. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Documents to go...but you'll have to buy it to edit. Wait until they have a sale. Bought mine for $5.55 instead of $29.99.

Do you have to pay for Quick Office to edit your excel files?

16. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

had another thought.. maybe the trackball is more symbolic of geek culture and lets face it.. geeks are the main people buying the nexus one :p

17. SBERG

SBERG Well-Known Member

Maybe the people at google sat around and thought about it before they built it and asked each other "Trackball or no trackball?" The majority said trackball and history was made. :D:D:D
    Seriously though i use the trackball all the time. They put it there for a reason besides looking cool when it lights up.( It does look cool i know, i know lol ) It comes in handy all the time for stuff,mostly typos:p

18. berig

berig Active Member

At first the trackball was a deal breaker for me because I thought it would stick out too much or get caught on things, which in hindsight doesn't make too much since because... well it's a ball. I was checking out my friend's and saw that it lit up, and I was sold. Also, there are no good android at&t phones out yet, and to me the captivate is unattractive.

19. NexuSix

NexuSix Well-Known Member

love the trackball wouldn't want a phone without it.

20. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

You can press the tracknipple to wake the phone, if rooted or using a keyguard disabler. Not so with a trackpad, and of course the nipple flashes to notify. Win as far as I'm concerned.

21. cstavaru

cstavaru Member

I wouldn't have bought the Nexus One if it didn't have a notification LED. The trackball is perfect for this function.