• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why not Flash Lite and Live Wallpapers for 2.1 Backflip?

Sprint's LG Optimus S only has a 600 MHz processor and it supports full Flash 10.1! The same goes with T-Mobile's MyTouch 3G Slide. Both get live wallpapers as well. So saying that the Backflip can't handle Flash Lite is BS. It is more than capable of handling Flash Lite and live wallpapers; as evidenced by the fact that they worked on the Preclair ROM.

I think we've been MotoRoll'd!

There is much more to a processor than the pure clock speed. One of these other criteria is the core that it is built upon, and this is where the Backflip fails for receiving the full version of Flash. If you have any experience with desktop computers, then you might know that an AMD processor running at 2.4Ghz is on par with an Intel processor running at 2.8Ghz or more, and that can be directly attributed to differences in the design of the cores used.

Now, as far as Flash Lite, the phone is more than capable of supporting this technology, but Motorola simply decided to omit it. If someone puts a lot of effort into it then they could probably port it over to the Backflip from another device, but from what I've seen that is apparently a difficult task, as there are a ton of dependencies, so that'll likely never happen.

When it comes to Live Wallpapers, remember that Motorola has different objectives than the hacker community who puts out roms. Motorola has to guarantee speed and stability otherwise they will get a ton of support requests or returns, whereas anyone who installs a rom knows that there very well could be a few kinks. If you want LWPs, install a rom. Simple enough to do.

Oh, and just so you know, Preclair never included Flash Lite.

Upvote 0
There is much more to a processor than the pure clock speed. One of these other criteria is the core that it is built upon, and this is where the Backflip fails for receiving the full version of Flash. If you have any experience with desktop computers, then you might know that an AMD processor running at 2.4Ghz is on par with an Intel processor running at 2.8Ghz or more, and that can be directly attributed to differences in the design of the cores used.

Now, as far as Flash Lite, the phone is more than capable of supporting this technology, but Motorola simply decided to omit it. If someone puts a lot of effort into it then they could probably port it over to the Backflip from another device, but from what I've seen that is apparently a difficult task, as there are a ton of dependencies, so that'll likely never happen.

When it comes to Live Wallpapers, remember that Motorola has different objectives than the hacker community who puts out roms. Motorola has to guarantee speed and stability otherwise they will get a ton of support requests or returns, whereas anyone who installs a rom knows that there very well could be a few kinks. If you want LWPs, install a rom. Simple enough to do.

Oh, and just so you know, Preclair never included Flash Lite.

Installing Flash Lite, or even Flash 10.1, would be a simple task. Once one has a way to install non-market apps. Flash 10.1 is supported by Android 2.1, since my 2.1 EPIC 4G has it installed. I know the Backflip's CPU can't handle it like the EPIC's can, but Flash 10.1 can be installed on it now that it's running Android 2.1. Install a Flash Lite .apk into your SD card root and use the App Installer app to install it.

Upvote 0
It isn't as simple as that, I know, as I attempted to install the Flash 10.1 apk as soon as I had the first preclair build on my phone, and it simply doesn't work. There are two possible explanations as to why it didn't work. One, is that Flash detected that it wouldn't be supported and isn't loading at all (or silently crashing), and the other is that only some 2.1 installations have the plugin support required for flash to hook into the browser, and our phone doesn't have those hooks (which could be why there might be a blanket requirement for 2.2, and some 2.1 devices work). If it is the latter then the Backflip has some hope, as that means that once someone gets a 2.2 build rolling then it might be possible, but there is no way to know until then.

I've never been able to find a simple Flash Lite apk that will work without a ton of hacking (if at all possible), as there are dependencies in other parts of th OS more than a mere apk install. Let me know if you've found anything though, and I'll put it through its paces.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones