1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Why not Java 3D?

Last Updated:

1. bunrab

bunrab New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

I am really new to the gaming world and embedded systems. I am trying to get to know different languages and and tools available for gaming since I am interested in developing a 3D game for android. So what I have gotten to know is I could use OpenGl ES and Android NDK to get this working. My question is why not simply use Java 3D for developing games for Android since Android is Java based?

Advertisement
  2. Dan Fury

Dan Fury Well-Known Member

Android isn't Java based, Java sits on Top of Linux and uses Dalvik to translate Java Code to machine code. It would be way slower. And why would you do this, developing natively always gives the most performance.

3. bunrab

bunrab New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Dan. I was just browsing for different APIs to develop games and got to know that Java 3D is at the higher end. But after reading up further I have now realised that JOGL and Java 3D can only be used for desktop programming.

4. Brinkley1988

Brinkley1988 Well-Known Member

Android doesn't follow the rule of J2ME, in fact, I think that's right, because J2ME is too simple, and too limit to develope some powerful apps.

5. skinhat

skinhat Member

Would be good if someone wrote a Java 3D api for android so that could run a java 3D app on android without having to rewrite it.

Wondering if anyones attempted to write such an api.