Why oh why is the front camera rotated 90 degrees!?

Last Updated:

1. kanethal

kanethal New Member This Topic's Starter

Soooooo the best thing would be for this to be a manufacturing error in my phone, but the front facing camera renders a landscape image on my portrait screen... As in: instead of filling the portrait screen with a portrait image, it produces a cropped, landscape image on the portrait screen.

I'm sure we've all seen the face time demos, glorious, fullscreen, undistorted/stretched to factor video. This is not that. Please tell me I'm missing something.

Advertisement
  2. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

The main camera does the same thing.

Basically this means that both cameras are meant to be used in landscape.

*edit* I may be wrong though, I have not seen the facetime demos.

*edit2* Sorry please disregard my first assesment

3. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Hmm..

I think I see what you are saying now. The actual photo comes out correct right? Its just the render that is wrong. Also remember that the camera is VGA and low resolution, the way it is rendering may have something to do with that.

4. SntaCruz83

SntaCruz83 Well-Known Member

I think you've just nailed the issue with Qik and how it stretches out the face during a video chat. I took a picture of a person's face and cropped it down to 640x480 in photoshop. Then, instead of just rotating the image, i changed the image size by just switching the pixel dimensions to 480x640 and it was the exact same level of distortion. Sorry if this is just common knowledge, but this post just made it click in my head and I had to share. (though...i could be wrong.) :p

5. kanethal

kanethal New Member This Topic's Starter

Exactly. Instead,of shooting a portrait picture while holding the phone vertically, the sensor is oriented 90 degrees from the phones long axis.... idiots! Someone needs to be fired\lynched. I'm very much considering returning this for the evo, which has the front facing camera properly aligned.