Why root?

Last Updated:

1. kisner

kisner Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I'm new to android and all things android with this being my first android phone. The only real modding I've ever done was jailbreaking the original iphone when I had it (before switching to a blackberry).

My main question is: what are the REASONS to root your phone? What are the benefits? Are there any downsides to rooting your phone? Basically, someone talk me into it...thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Original Nerd

Original Nerd New Member

I would like to know this too. This is my first Android phone and I am still learning the ropes. Any help would be appreciated.

3. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

In the near future, there will be new, better, faster ROMs made for this phone. They'll speed it up and reduce battery drain, and give us functions that AT&T has deemed we don't need. You'll need to be rooted to use these ROMs. It gives you the ability to sideload apps (which AT&T has also disabled) and access to a number of apps that are only usable if your phone is rooted.
    The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that you stand the chance of not getting the official updates from Samsung/AT&T. But the reason I would say that's not a downside, is that we will likely have a 2.2 Froyo ROM before Samsung/AT&T release their update.

4. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Gaining root access to your phone is the same as jailbreaking. :)

5. kisner

kisner Active Member This Topic's Starter

I figured just as much, but I wondered if the advantages are really THAT huge? I guess I'm just trying to talk myself out of doing it, because it's inevitable that I will do so...oh hell, f*** it...doing it right now!

6. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member