• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kisner

Jul 23, 2010
So, I'm new to android and all things android with this being my first android phone. The only real modding I've ever done was jailbreaking the original iphone when I had it (before switching to a blackberry).

My main question is: what are the REASONS to root your phone? What are the benefits? Are there any downsides to rooting your phone? Basically, someone talk me into it...thanks!

So, I'm new to android and all things android with this being my first android phone. The only real modding I've ever done was jailbreaking the original iphone when I had it (before switching to a blackberry).

My main question is: what are the REASONS to root your phone? What are the benefits? Are there any downsides to rooting your phone? Basically, someone talk me into it...thanks!

In the near future, there will be new, better, faster ROMs made for this phone. They'll speed it up and reduce battery drain, and give us functions that AT&T has deemed we don't need. You'll need to be rooted to use these ROMs. It gives you the ability to sideload apps (which AT&T has also disabled) and access to a number of apps that are only usable if your phone is rooted.
The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that you stand the chance of not getting the official updates from Samsung/AT&T. But the reason I would say that's not a downside, is that we will likely have a 2.2 Froyo ROM before Samsung/AT&T release their update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones