Why root ??

Last Updated:

1. joboy

joboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I am new here and I came from Symbian and Linux, for all the phones I've used there are at least one application for screen capture and one for time clock synchronization, both are very useful and basic task we will do with a smartphone, but on the Android I found none that can work without a 'rooted' phone. I don't know how other phones do it, but I know the reason for a 'rooted' phone is to be able to access the framebuffer for screen capture for example and this may be risky, I suppose it is simply a sub-routine call to the BIOS will do without the need for a complete 'open access' system. I know there is a way to capture the screen without a rooted phone, but the phone must be connected to a PC and I feel this is dumb and inconvenient, I may be completely wrong about Android, please fill me in :cool:

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

No, there is no way to do a screen capture without a rooted phone. The HTC Evo could use the app Shoot Me to do it without root, but sprint put out an update that disabled that.

3. joboy

joboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's pity for a *smartphone*

4. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

Just download the app "screenshot" from the market. Set it to take a shot when you shake your phone. Works like a champ.

5. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Did you even read the post? Screenshot needs ROOT, he is not ROOTED. This while do him NO good.

6. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Why root... in the case of almost EVERY HTC phone, you have to root to get the phone to work right. It's a bit stupid, really, but I'm glad we're able to do it, because the hackers over at XDA generally know how to make the phone run better than the manufacturers anyways...

In the case of the Hero, you have to root to have it function as a phone otherwise you have to wait 30 seconds to 2 minutes after you push send to make a call.

For the Evo, you have to root otherwise this thing has the most screen lag I've seen on any Android phone, even worse than the Hero stock. It also has major tracking issues on screen thanks to the 30 fps screen cap implanted by HTC 'because of the HDMI out port'. That's crap on a platter there because I'm sitting here typing this out on my Evo with no framerate cap and my HDMI out works without flaw. To top it off, I have wicked better battery life post root, even though according to HTC, my phone shoukd be dead in half the time because the GPU has to work twice as hard producing 60 fps. That's more crap on the pile of lies they throw at us because the GPU was already producing 60 fps before, but it was throwing out half of them.

All because the phone manufacturers are too lazy to fix anything. After all, why should they fix anything, they're not getting any more money for doing it, and they already have your cash in pocket from when you bought your phone. I firmly believe as long as they (any manufacturer producing Android phones) keep this attitude, Android is going to continue to be for the more tech oriented crowd rather than your average consumer. Greed won't get you far on the path to success....