10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Impress the ladies...or gents

9 vote(s)
    26.5%

Last Updated:

1. mocciamm

mocciamm Member This Topic's Starter

So this might be an obvious one, but why would you want to root? I know most people say performance is much better, but is there anything else or are all of customizations just for looks?
    cheers!

Advertisement
  2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

each person has their own reasons..some it's to get rid of lag.. others it's to allow endless custom screens... then you have those that want to impress their tech/geek friends... or those that want to run the bleeding edge ROMs before the general release from the carrier..

for me, I did it because I'm a computer geek/nerd... I have been customizing computers a tweaking them to get them running as smooth as possible for the last 16 years.. now I have a phone...that runs a Linux based OS!! how kewl is that? my phone ran decent out of the box.. but once I rooted it and flashed a ROM then a new kernel it was even better.. now I can run 2.1 even though it isn't out yet for our phones.. the possibilities are endless... add all the customizing we can do to our phones once rooted and its a tweakers dream...

LWNda3rd and mocciamm like this.
  3. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

well said ;):cool:

4. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said (and apologies if you're a she).

5. ejpyle

ejpyle Well-Known Member

I did it for speed. Mine boots up about a minute faster. You can see the difference when pulling down the notification panel, opening the menu, and launching apps. My battery life has increased significantly. Off a full charge before I would drop down to 85 - 90 percent within 20 - 30 minutes. Now It drops to 90 percent after an hour and a half. Considerable change in power if you ask me.

mocciamm likes this.
  6. slade

slade Well-Known Member

None of the above: BUG FIXES!

1. Landscape mode
    2. addressing error for sms (e.g. bank of america destroys your ability to send messages)
    3. No dialer lag prevents frustration
    4. Youtube/Streaming app works and I can actually watch videos on comedy central's mobile website

As for performance... I am amazed. I don't hate my phone now.

Battery life is about the same for moderate use days, and better on light days. Don't forget that wiping reverts all of your battery-saving options, so you have to re-read the battery saving thread and make all those changes again. (screen timeout etc.). Going to fresh 1.1 from stock doesn't wipe those options, so people tend to forget to re-engage battery saving techniques when going to 2.1 from the earlier roms.

7. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Reduce lag

I don't hate my phone any more.

Rathamar likes this.
  8. Rathamar

Rathamar Well-Known Member

I am going to Second this - This is the primary reason that I rooted. The others are to be able to install custom themes (espresso) and have access to Wi-Fi tethering. :D

9. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

I concur, plus I enjoy using the OS upgrades before official release, and the ability to wirelessly tether.

10. clfblackhawk

clfblackhawk Member

Just having the ability to tweak my phone and try out new Roms that all these awesome Devs have cooked up makes rooting the best part about having our phone. Its not as much about fixing the lag or increasing the performance that gets me, but the ablility to try new things out and experimenting with these changes on my phone