Why root?

1. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm confused but I hear people say how awesome rooting is but then I go and look at all the things not working with that Rom. Is there something I'm missing? I just want upgraded versions of android but it seems like this can't be done. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member

the only thing you really lose is the camera, which i never used. the speed gain and customizations are well worth it. getting rid of touch wiz is nice to.

i am using a pre preview for jelly bean, it is drastically faster and the search is better than siri.

so to me the benefits out weigh the negatives.
  3. schrodinger56

schrodinger56 Well-Known Member

The camera etc. not working when rooting to JB is what's stopped me doing so. I find the camera very useful.
  4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Because rooting means that you finally "own" your phone. :D
  5. varxtis

varxtis Active Member

one-month-later
    When it comes to mod/rooting devices like game consoles, phones, and tablets there seem to be a lot of "facts" based on subjective opinions. When you say that you can finally "own" your device, what practical value is there to rooting. I want to be able to create basic tutorials for friends and family members. Is there an app that will allow me to video screen capture if I root?
    If a person does root, is there a place that lists current negatives, something that lists things that stop working? or current benifets to rooting? Also, when you mod a game console, you have limited to no access to the supported community networks (Playstation Network, Xbox Live, etc) and if you download authorized/official firmware updates, it can brick the system at times. Are there warnings as to what not to autimatically download. Itd be really nice if I could have a conversation with someone that does a lot of this (with an objective view) and could ask questions if anyones willing.