Why should I change the firmware?!Support

Last Updated:

1. willbaroo

willbaroo Member This Topic's Starter

Good afternoon all.

I have tried searching but couldn't find any answers hence my post.

I am soon to be picking up a Galaxy from O2 (long story: constant faulty SE C905).

I have seen various threads about changing the firmware and I am familier with doing this on other phones I have owned. Lg Viewty, SE W880 and SE C905. Reasons being for de-branding only.

My quesiton is why should I do it to the Galaxy? What will it improve? What will it stop me from doing? Is it worth it?

One last question - does the Galaxy support Push MS Exchange Sync?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Advertisement
  2. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

newer firmwares generally fix bugs that the older ones suffer from and you'll likely see some improvement in the battery life, as well as slight general snappiness

it's definitely worth it, seeing as it only takes like 15 minutes and as far as i can see has no downsides at all :)

3. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Newer firmware generally = faster, less buggy phone obviously :) Other reasons:

1) Debranding

2) Firmware is released PER operator/region. That means another region may have newer firmware than yours. You can flash that firmware with or without branding. This way you will always have the latest firmware available. Its a very similar situation to blackbery updates

3) You can use a custom rom, which may be faster, add features, or change the overall balance of how the phone's resources are distributed.

4) Rooting (not quite new firmware but in the same category, as you are modifying the sw on your phone), allows you to install certain programs which you cant ordinarily use. Eg Market enabler, which switches your 'android market' region temporarily so you can buy programs available only for the US market for example

There's lots of other reasons which generally fall into the above categories. Just remember this is a SMART phone, and much like a computer. You'll be installing lots of crap on it and not using the same 5 functions as you do on a dumb phone. There will be alot of bugs, and updates fix them.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Here's another vote in favour of updating the firmware -- preferably to the K4 version, that's the one that I've had the best experiences with.

And, don't bother to install the PC Studio software from the accompanying cd. It is literally worthless, and you can use Odin (search around here) for updating.

Hey, and welcome to the club! :)

5. willbaroo

willbaroo Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers guys very kind of you.

Could somebody rate the touch screen sensetivity out of 10 for me?

Also, did anyone find out about the MS Exchange Sync?

Thanks all!

6. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

sensitivity is iphonish.

k9 mail client is free ms sync app.