• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why should I spend $399 for this phone?

seanfodonnell

Oct 26, 2011
I'm not trying to hate because I love virgin I've had them for 7-8 years, and I love my evo. I just don't understand whats the point of buying this phone. IT'S ONLY DUAL CORE!! IT'S $400 DOLLARS!! It's a "pretty" phone if that's what your looking for, I'm sticking with my evo until I see a quad core phone or they discount the phone to maybe $200.

feed back please...

I suppose not all cores are created the same. It sure feels snappier than the EVO V. The battery life is much better too...it handles standby MUCH better than my EVO V does. It's also a phone that I've longed for since it was released. If you're not in that boat...then YOU SHOULDN'T get one.

BTW, I've read how the international people who have the quad core version hate the battery life.

This phone is better in every way to the EVO V (aside from 3D)...whether that is worth $400 to you is something ONLY you can answer.

If you want to wait for a better Android phone, keep waiting. It may be another year though.

Another tidbit of info...the VM (and boost) S3 is the cheapest of all the S3s out there. An unlocked one from Amazon is between $460-470, and some carriers still want over $500 for the phone off-contract. Hell, an unlocked Galaxy S2 is still selling for $320 on Amazon...and finally went down to $200 on VM once the S3 was launched.

My only gripe is how thin it is. It's hard to pick up when laying face down (evenw ith a case on). I've decided to get an extended battery to fatten it up a bit.

BTW, when the Galaxy S4 hits VM, I'll be getting that one too :D Especially if they start making the Active series (waterproof) for Sprint.

Reactions: seanfodonnell
Upvote 0
I had read some chatter about the quad core eating up the battery. Is that your experience as well?

Does it utilize hotplugging where it turns off unnecessary cores?

Im not sure how the battery life compares tbh. The 4g radio in the north american ones maybe balances it out.
Yeah some cores switch right off when not needed (on the kernel im using anyway) not sure if its the same on stock :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I suppose not all cores are created the same. It sure feels snappier than the EVO V. The battery life is much better too...it handles standby MUCH better than my EVO V does. It's also a phone that I've longed for since it was released. If you're not in that boat...then YOU SHOULDN'T get one.

BTW, I've read how the international people who have the quad core version hate the battery life.

This phone is better in every way to the EVO V (aside from 3D)...whether that is worth $400 to you is something ONLY you can answer.

If you want to wait for a better Android phone, keep waiting. It may be another year though.

Another tidbit of info...the VM (and boost) S3 is the cheapest of all the S3s out there. An unlocked one from Amazon is between $460-470, and some carriers still want over $500 for the phone off-contract. Hell, an unlocked Galaxy S2 is still selling for $320 on Amazon...and finally went down to $200 on VM once the S3 was launched.

My only gripe is how thin it is. It's hard to pick up when laying face down (evenw ith a case on). I've decided to get an extended battery to fatten it up a bit.

BTW, when the Galaxy S4 hits VM, I'll be getting that one too :D Especially if they start making the Active series (waterproof) for Sprint.

Metro has one that's HSPA/LTE which runs on tmobile HSPA & LTE for $399 even though right now its only available in 4 markets theyre supposed to release it in more pretty soon so that's much better than the ones locked to CDMA IMO

Upvote 0
Dual cores are not created equal

Especially when the phones are brought to market years apart.

The S3 is certainly more powerful than the evo 3d. Whether that's worth the money is ultimately your decision :thumbup:
What he said, the Evo 3D has the Snapdragon S3(Q3 2010) while the GS3 has the S4(Q1 2012) so it has a newer gen dual core chip. That's a year and half of improvement so its up to you if performance is what you wanted.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
hey guys so i had to do some thread cleaning up here. if you do not having anything to contribute as far as the s3 and newer phones for the op, then please refrain from posting it.

carry on folks:)

edit: and for what it is worth, i have my og evo still. it is deactivated, but i still use it as an mp3 player and as a micro tablet;) so i understand your reluctance to moving on.....LOL

Upvote 0
edit: and for what it is worth, i have my og evo still. it is deactivated, but i still use it as an mp3 player and as a micro tablet;) so i understand your reluctance to moving on.....LOL

I've got my OG EVO also...it's an alarm clock (yes, that's its only function). I planned to use it as an MP3 player like you, but I just end up using my current phone.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Honestly, if you're happy with the EVO, I wouldn't worry about upgrading. With all the available ROMs and stuff, the EVO does everything a smartphone should, and does it well.

Literally the only reason I switched was because the headphone jack on my EVO V was going out, and in the process of trying to fix it, I ended up damaging the screen and made it unusable at the moment. I really was fully satisfied with it, and planned to just buy another EVO, but since they don't sell them anymore, I just went with the GS3.

That being said, the GS3 has much faster 4G, has an 8MP camera, has a bigger screen, is significantly slimmer, and has NFC capability [which includes Google wallet]. Plus, so far, even with the stock ROM, battery life is astounding. I really like it.

Since I used ROMs that didn't have 3D working for the EVO V, I don't miss the 3D part of it, but the EVO did have the feeling of a much more durable phone. Even though I didn't like dropping it, I wasn't paranoid about it like I am with the GS3.

All in all, either phone works for me, so again if you're really happy with the EVO V already, just wait for a really good sale. It is a better phone, but it's not that much better in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones