• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why should I use WiFi?

E

Extodus

If I am at home for hours at a time, what benefits come with using WiFi on my Droid Eris instead of the mobile network?

When home, I have computer access so speed is of no concern. I'm just wondering what the battery life difference is, if any.

And now that I think about it, if I'm home I could just be charging my phone so even if WiFi saved battery life it wouldn't be any gain.

WiFi seems to be such a desirable feature, but I have no idea how it benefits me. Please teach me something!

If you're downloading things to your phone, even at home, WiFi is faster and drains less battery than mobile network. Also if your someplace that offers free WiFi, the same benefits apply.

Get the Speedtest app from the market and test your mobile network against a WiFi connection, you'll see a difference. I have a lower end DSL connection at home and it's twice as fast as my mobile internet. I was at a friends house that has broadband cable internet, when I tapped into his WiFi I was 5x faster than my average mobile speeds.

Upvote 0
I actually get faster access via 3G than wifi at home, as my 8Mbit DSL line actually struggles to deliver 200KB/s most of the day while 3G gets nearer 300KB/s. This is just my situation, try the Speedtest.net app if you are wondering for yourself.

I'm surprised wifi uses less battery, as you're presumably connected to the local cell tower anyway for calls/texts.

Upvote 0
I actually get faster access via 3G than wifi at home, as my 8Mbit DSL line actually struggles to deliver 200KB/s most of the day while 3G gets nearer 300KB/s. This is just my situation, try the Speedtest.net app if you are wondering for yourself.

I'm surprised wifi uses less battery, as you're presumably connected to the local cell tower anyway for calls/texts.

Local cell tower could be 30 miles away.....wifi is like 200feet away.

Upvote 0
I am glad I read this thread. I live in an area that inside my house I get very poor reception. I dont have any problems anywhere else. I am about 5 miles from the nearest cell phone tower and in my house I only get 0-1 bars. I drop calls all the time and downloading things takes forever.

I downloaded the speedtest.net application and got 95 kbps for my download speed and 64 kbps for my upload speed. I checked my signal strenth (settings - about phone - status and my signal strength is normally -104 dBm to -110 dBm. As I mentioned, I drop calls and many times when I talk to people and when they talk to me, it sounds muffled (almost as if I am talking and then someone hits the mute button for a couple of seconds - the user fades in and out and people say I fade in and out.

I contacted Verizon and they said for $250 I could buy a network extender. I said this is more then I paid for my motorola droid. I went to the corporate store and opened up a ticket and they will research the signal near my house and get back to me in the near future. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Anyways, I tried using my wi-fi connection and got 5908 kbps download and 811 kbps upload which is much better then 95 kbps download and 64 kbps upload. my signal strenth is now -88 to -93 dBm.

I will be using wi-fi from now on. I am sold on using wi-fi. People also say it uses less battery. This is a win-win situation (better speeds and less battery power).

Upvote 0
I drop calls all the time....

I drop calls and many times when I talk to people and when they talk to me, it sounds muffled (almost as if I am talking and then someone hits the mute button for a couple of seconds - the user fades in and out and people say I fade in and out.

Anyways, I tried using my wi-fi connection and got 5908 kbps download and 811 kbps upload which is much better then 95 kbps download and 64 kbps upload. my signal strenth is now -88 to -93 dBm.

I will be using wi-fi from now on. I am sold on using wi-fi. People also say it uses less battery. This is a win-win situation (better speeds and less battery power).

Just to clarify, in case I'm misunderstanding you. WiFi will have no effect at all on the quality of your phone calls, unless you're using something like Skype or some other VOIP application. Mobile phone calls always go through the mobile phone network regardless of your WiFi settings.

Upvote 0
I can see WiFi being neat when downloading apps. Goes faster, and you don't use you MB you have on yor dataplan. But if you're into the internets, android and the possibilities it has (like...us), you should have an unlimited dataplan.

ps: some carriers chose to limit your data speed after you've reached a certain ammount of data each month, even with an unlimited dataplan. So chosing WiFi when downloading stuff is smart.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, in case I'm misunderstanding you. WiFi will have no effect at all on the quality of your phone calls, unless you're using something like Skype or some other VOIP application. Mobile phone calls always go through the mobile phone network regardless of your WiFi settings.

Yes - I am referring to downloading apps and surfing the web in my house. I read the skype application doesnt work with wi-fi.

I am waiting for the Verizon techs to fix the issue with my phone quality. I was hoping to get a different phone(this is my 2nd) but will wait to see what happens and what they find out. They said they would get back to me within a month and let me know what they find out.

Upvote 0
You should really look into your WiFi at home then. Something's definitely wrong if that's the case. Unless maybe you're using 802.11b with poor signal or something.

Right, but you're not transferring data via 3G if you're using WiFi instead. The 3G network will typically consume more power for transferring the same amount of data compared to WiFi.

Upvote 0
Wi-fi doesn't affect your signal strength at all, that boost must be a coincidence. Maybe Verizon investigated and fixed your local cell tower - have you seen any flying pigs lately?

Your wifi speeds are very good, that'll help a lot with downloading apps but also for Youtube, streaming music, Google Maps and all without eating into your data plan.

Upvote 0
For my specific situation:

I can't justify turning on WiFi at home just to save battery, because since I'm home I could just be charging my phone.

Of course I see that WiFi increases speed, but again.. if I am home I don't care about speed because I have access to a computer.

I guess what I hoped for by starting this thread was to see how WiFi benefits other people, to see if it could benefit me in the same ways.

Does anyone have any examples (other than battery and speed) of how WiFi has benefited them? (The lack of good 3G coverage at home was a good one!)

Upvote 0
I use my phone all around the house so I don't want it to be on the charger all the time. I use it as a remote control for a Logitech Squeezebox, that pretty much needs wifi. I'll also play games or do some casual web browsing or look up something on Google, so it's in my pocket virtually all the time I'm awake. Quite a few local pubs, cafes and even a bus company have wifi access at their buildings/buses and sometimes these are out good coverage areas, but of course this will be different where you live.

I don't really see wifi as something I have to justify anyway, why not turn it on? I have it on all the time and when my phone is awake and in range of a saved access point, it connects and uses wifi. If not, it uses 3G. No hassle, no switching things on and off by hand, just the best connectivity that's available at any given time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones