Why so acclaimed?

Last Updated:

1. DMXXX

DMXXX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First of all I am a happy Desire owner and don't regret my purchase. I was just wondering why the device is getting such glaringly good reviews. It's a great phone but it has a number of problems (limited multitouch, screen is hopeless in sunlight, no dedicated gpu etc). I understand that nothing is perfect but why all the near perfect to perfect reviews fail to mention these issues or quickly brush them off as minor is beyond me (well ok, the screen usually gets mentioned). I'm not saying I wouldn't have bought the phone if I had known about all the issues beforehand but atleast I would have reasearched further, had a better look at other android phones and thought twice before making the purchase.​

Advertisement
  2. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

The multi touch issue is not an issue for 99.9% of people and same can be said for the your gpu issue.

I agree with you on the screen though.

3. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

It does have a dedicated GPU.

The "limited multitouch" is not noticed because.. the end user does not notice it, seriously, in the three months that I have had the phone, I never experienced the issue (I guess you mean the "finger switch" thing) unless I was intentionally causing it just to see it.

I think the main reason for the popularity was that that the HTC desire was the first "next generation" android phone aimed at the public at large, in contrast to the Nexus One.

It was launched in all of Europe with a lot of operator support so the public interest was large.

In that effect, it was the Motorola Droid of Europe, being:

1: High end in terms of specs
    2: Having a huge, colourful screen
    3: Substancial operator backing and advertisement
    4: A well-designed phone that received good reviews and word-of-mouth

4. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

Multi touch issue??
    GPU what?

Agree with the screen in sunlight but no biggie, just go to the near shadow.

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

The only issue i have found is the screen in sunlight, but there again every screen i have looked at in sunlight has been the same.
    As most people have by now worked out just get in the shade a bit, problem solved :D

6. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

To be fair, the bright sun issue hardly affects us UK users
    ;)

SB13X and gie62001 like this.
  7. DMXXX

My point is not that the phone is bad in any way but that the reviews are misinforming.

Oh and the multitouch thingy does affect gaming (not a biggy for me but, still, this from a high end device?).

8. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Actually I've just become aware of another issue that could be affecting use on bright sunlight
    If you happen to be wearing sunglasses with polarising lenses, the screen appears to change brightness depending on the angle you view it
    This is also true of other LCD/LED screens, such as TVs and laptops

9. anoniemouse

Good point lol.

I wear reactolite glasses thats why i find no screen to be brilliant in sunlight.

10. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, what do you reckon it uses to run Dungeon Hunter/Nova/Exzeus et al with? Thin air? Magic? Unicorn blood?

11. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

The latter.

12. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Horrors. How many unicorns died for each Desire unit (and Nexus for that matter), do you think? :(

13. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

First of all, a phone doesn't have to have a dedicated GPU to run games...

However, the Desire does have a separate GPU. But it is not as good as the one found in the moto droid or galaxy s. I believe the Desire still relies more heavily on clock speed than the other two.

But it will run every game out there right now well enough (tested this myself)

And the amazing reviews are because this phone is currently tied in top spot of the best phones available in the UK.

Tied with the Nexus one and the galaxy s btw.

14. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

The sun is not big issue from day to day users and neither is the multitouch. The only issue really is battery and the amount of fiddling required to gain even half decent battery life.

15. DMXXX

Didn't know about the dedicated GPU. That's cool. Anyway I'll say again that I'm not complaining. It just feels that the Desire gets a pass for some things other phones get scrutinized for

OT: As far as best phones go I'd say it's tied with SGS and Iphone 4. I also hear that Droid X and EVO 4G are pretty good. N1 just seems like a slightly inferior Desire if you ask me.

EDIT: @ JsT: Suprisingly enough I feel that the battery life is pretty good on the Desire. It's not like other smartphones are any better.

16. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

I'd say an hour of fiddling is a pretty small price to pay to get an excellent phone with good battery life. I went on holiday for a few days this week, used GPS and 3G for navigating around the city I was in for about an hour a day, plus 3G for browsing information on places online for a while and downloading news articles etc, and didn't drop below about 60-70% battery either day. Have a play around - It's worth it. :)

17. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

If it was just an hour I wouldn't mind but I've read every faq going and still can't get decent life out of it!

I think once I can get decent battery I'll have no complaints!

18. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The sunlight isn't am issue is you take your sunglasses off ;)

19. anoniemouse

Can't take mine off as they are my normal glasses as well, thats why i find all screens the same in sunlight.:)

20. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member

homerun 3d baseball, let's golf and sparta of heroes (iirc) run pretty decent on my desire. however, there is very noticeable lag on something with lots of background detail like assassins creed..

saying that, my copy isn't exactly legit. how does other ppl's phone runt he game?

it's still very playable but definitely not smooth in the larger game area scenes.

21. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

It was made clear that 2.1 has FPS lag. In the demo's on Android 2.2 they show that the FPS, especially for gaming, has been dramatically increased. I am currently in India and throughout the 45'C blaze I had no real issue with the screen in sunlight. Found it similar to previous phones. Battery life is good for minimum 1 (lots of gaming etc) to max 4 days ( general use as a phone ). I have never experienced the Multi-touch issue. so to me - no issue. At least my phone gets great reception all the time, better that my previous iPhone.

22. mattjuk

mattjuk Member

4 days really i went on hols recently and didn't touch my phone and just managed 2 1/2 days!