• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why so little love for the V10?

Lateck

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2011
Arizona, U.S.A.
As the title says: Why so little love for the LG V10?
I mean, here on this forum page there is now 11 posts (including this one, now).
I look at many Android Webb sites and there may have been a review..... I see almost daily reviews and commits about the Note 5 which came out a month and a half before the V10...... Should be old news now????
Same for the iPhone 6s, etc...

I personally love my V10 and I had a number of Samsung's in the past.
LG seams to hear the people who use the device for more then phone calls.... (My view, yours may very :eek::specsdroid: )

So, what gives?

Lateck,

Reactions: Triple
Just a few guesses:
1) AMOLED:LG needs to get on board yesterday.
2) Pricing/Timing: If anyone w/T-Mobile is watching,they're waiting for a relatively quick permanent price drop,just as w/the G4.
3) Black Friday,people are holding off on a new device until then.Samsung has a compelling deal @ Best Buy,prepaid cards up to $250 w/select devices.
4) Another guess is that people are waiting to see what's coming up w/MWC 2016 & the newer Snapdragon 820 devices.

Reactions: AMOCO and Lateck
Upvote 0
I actually love my V10. Would never consider going back to Samsung or Motorola. LG has my business as long as they keep the SD cards. The removable battery is a good side also. The display/screen, call me crazy, but I (my opinion) think it is much better then the Samsungs.

Ditto that! I think having the micro SD as an option & a removable battery are important. It's part of why I really like the V10. It really comes down to, if a lot of us agree it's important but continue to ignore phones with those as options, Sammy and others will continue to move away from it to improve their profit margins by charging 5X as much for memory than a sd card would cost.

Upvote 0
Just a few guesses:
1) AMOLED:LG needs to get on board yesterday.

You lost me... AmoLED absolutely stinks. Color saturation is horrid, I hate having all the photos I view of humans make them look like "Tan Mom." Reds are Orange, Blues are Violet, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I know my V10 looks stunning next to a Samsung.

Upvote 0
I've had my V10 now for 2 months, and I love it more and more each day. I think the colors are excellent, the CPU is very snappy, and I never have to worry about running out of in-device storage. The battery life is great, and the second screen means my regular notifications appear above (and out of the way of) whatever app I happen to be using at the time.

I previously had a number of Samsung devices including a Note 4, and I think the LG overlay is far superior to TouchWiz and a whole lot less bloated and laggy. And although there's no stylus, the quick launch of the LG Quick Memo works fine using my finger on those rare occasions I need to scribble something done.

Each to his own I guess, but for me, the V10 is a huge improvement.

Upvote 0
I've had the V10 for about 4 days now and I'm liking it. I bought it for the 64GBs (50 out of the box), micro sd expansion, and removable battery options. The second screen is kinda cool because it has music player controls and it also handles incoming calls so that you aren't interrupted when you're playing a game or doing something (I play a lot of Vainglory). I don't really have any special headphones or high quality music files to take advantage of the audio capabilities, but the default sound is pretty good. The speaker is slightly louder and better quality than my Note 3 was.

About the only thing I don't like about it is the battery life. True to the reviews I've watched on youtube, I generally only get 4 hours of screen on time, which is actually worse than my almost 2 year old Note 3 (5 hours; used to be 6-7 out the box). It appears to me that the high resolution screen is to blame and the battery technology we have today just isn't equipped to handle these types of displays. I'm thinking maybe the rush to the top of the display quality market is a bit overrated and comes at the expense of device usability. I'm glad the V10 has a replaceable battery because I'd hate to see where this thing is a year to a year and a half from now if it was a unibody phone. (2-3 hours???)

Reactions: s10stealth
Upvote 0
I've had the V10 for about 4 days now and I'm liking it. I bought it for the 64GBs (50 out of the box), micro sd expansion, and removable battery options. The second screen is kinda cool because it has music player controls and it also handles incoming calls so that you aren't interrupted when you're playing a game or doing something (I play a lot of Vainglory). I don't really have any special headphones or high quality music files to take advantage of the audio capabilities, but the default sound is pretty good. The speaker is slightly louder and better quality than my Note 3 was.

About the only thing I don't like about it is the battery life. True to the reviews I've watched on youtube, I generally only get 4 hours of screen on time, which is actually worse than my almost 2 year old Note 3 (5 hours; used to be 6-7 out the box). It appears to me that the high resolution screen is to blame and the battery technology we have today just isn't equipped to handle these types of displays. I'm thinking maybe the rush to the top of the display quality market is a bit overrated and comes at the expense of device usability. I'm glad the V10 has a replaceable battery because I'd hate to see where this thing is a year to a year and a half from now if it was a unibody phone. (2-3 hours???)

If you're into rooting/ROMMING,may I suggest the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmo...-lg-v10-h901-10c-debranded-debloated-t3277305

It's the stock ROM,less the carrier crud,fully functional & most certainly,you will see improved battery life.
How much? Can't say,YMWV,but,I'm certain it will be enough to warrant giving it a go.
Worse case scenario,flash back to stock/unrooted,none the worse for wear...........

Upvote 0
Well, I'll write a reply to myself as I have seen things turn around a lot as the V10 has been out for a while.
Many more reviews (on you tube) have been coming out and most are positive or at worst case they re-think their original stand and like the V10 now.
Yes, it's big! That seems to be the biggest dis-like.
The screen is not AMOLD is the second dis-like, but many prefer the LCD of the V10. A lot thought the second screen was just a joke, now they really use it!
No one seems to miss the fancy glass or metal body of other phones. If fact most reviews now are praising LG for the build quality (again, in the reviews I have seen).
No one has dis-liked the fact you can expand the already large memory.
And, many now are singing the praise of the V10 audio (with headphones).

I guess the lack of love for the V10 is that many are just set in their ways and the lack of LG really promoting.

Thanks for all of the earlier replies.
Lateck,

Upvote 0
I'm really happy when I see posts like this.

I go into every change, whether it be a new car, new house, new computer and new phone with the mindset that a large number of brain-trusts have put a significant amount of testing, analyzing, profiling, calculating, research, development and then testing within their pier-group and novices to come up with something that's at least 75% better than the last-best-thing ... and if I want to get the most out of that technology, it's up to me to adjust to the changes in procedures and operations to make it a part of my daily routine.

I test drove a few of the phones and settled on this one ... first time I've ever had a phone migrate into my daily life with such little effort - while also adding options and improvements to my daily routines.

When I see how much love this phone is getting now, and the masses are appreciating it as much as I did/do/am and how it's becoming embraced by those who had doubts at first ... it's just a good feeling.
More importantly ... when users like Lateck puts up posts like this ... I've nothing but respect for that kind of honesty and transparency.

Good stuff!

Reactions: Cryztvl
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I hear all the love but just can't see it myself yet. I joined just to find out how I can make my V10 as good as it was sold to me at the VZ store. I am of course a former ip6 user and this is only my 2nd droid. Coming prior to the ip6 a gs4. IMO this V10 has way to many glitches. Battery life, FPS, upper left of screen is DEAD, back button does not work. I mean all I really find amazing is the camera and Im not a big photo junkie. Default settings are all i ever use. I hear so many good things about this phone on here and no one complains about the issues. Is it Droid lovers just move past them? Or are there fixes for these issues?Can some one help me show more love for this thing please?

Upvote 0
1. My battery life is excellent, BUT I don't have any social media apps or ones that require constant background, syncing, etc. 2. Please post a pic about "upper left of screen is DEAD" not sure if you mean the second screen or main screen? 3. No problem with back button at all.

I am also using on VZ and have not problems at all with phone. Love it.

Upvote 0
So for instance I have 2 email accounts and it combines the inboxes by default. If i want to separate them up in the upper left top I should be able to tap that and expand my accounts to select inboxes for both and also their other folders. This only works about 1/4 of the time. And also in my FB app you will have a back arrow there and when you click it does nothing. I realize i have the back on the bottom left but when I click on that one it takes me completely out of the app. See photo with mail account showing at upper left of screen.

Thanks for your reply and help in advance.

Attachments

• 2016-01-24 15.51.12.png
    2016-01-24 15.51.12.png
    634.3 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0
Dewayne, sorry to read about your issues. I have a number of email accounts and I use their apps (Gmail, Hotmail & Yahoo). I only have 1 email using the native email program so I can't help there.
On FB app my back buttonworks as I think it should, what exactly is it not doing? As for the dead screen are you talking about the front facing camera area? (Upper left area you said).
Now on battery life, well this has been an issue for some, so your mileage may very. I learned how to live with my device.

I am sure you will receive some more replies soon.

Lateck,

Upvote 0
Dewayne, sorry to read about your issues. I have a number of email accounts and I use their apps (Gmail, Hotmail & Yahoo). I only have 1 email using the native email program so I can't help there.
On FB app my back buttonworks as I think it should, what exactly is it not doing? As for the dead screen are you talking about the front facing camera area? (Upper left area you said).
Now on battery life, well this has been an issue for some, so your mileage may very. I learned how to live with my device.

I am sure you will receive some more replies soon.

Lateck,
See my photo inserted in previous post. Where it says inbox all accounts, at the left of that where the 3 horizontal lines are I should be able to tap this and it expand my accounts and their folders.

Upvote 0
So, I've went from blackberry pearl, to an iphone4 to an iphone5 (theWORST) to now waiting on my V10... It's actually coming tomorrow. But I have so many questions and that's why I have read so many of the post above, and I've googled and found phandroid.com with tips... Please inform me:)
I am curious to see your thoughts on this phone as it will be new as mine is only 2 weeks old. Keep us posted. The ip5 though was 4 times the 4 so not sure your meaning or thoughts about that. Good luck

Upvote 0
So, I've went from blackberry pearl, to an iphone4 to an iphone5 (theWORST) to now waiting on my V10... It's actually coming tomorrow. But I have so many questions and that's why I have read so many of the post above, and I've googled and found phandroid.com with tips... Please inform me:)

Not much to inform you on other than you made a great choice!
But for help on the phone and how to use it, the phone comes pre loaded with an app called, Quick help.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Hey all, I've had the LG V10 for about a month now and I do love it. I was tearing my hair out deciding between this and the Note 5. My last phone was a Samsung S4 which lasted three years. I was gonna get the Note 5 but did some research and found this phone. Spec for spec I was impressed with everything and after using it for a month I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone.
Funny story I'm about to head into the T-Mobile store to switch to the Note 5 just because I need to know what it's like and playing with the phone in the store doesn't cut it for me and I'd rather lease it for a month. I also have Jump On Demand so I can upgrade 3 times a year, the device balance just resets every time I Jump. I just want to know if I will like the Note 5 better but I'm hoping I won't so I can switch back to the V10 because I'm so happy with it.

Hello everyone, I hear all the love but just can't see it myself yet. I joined just to find out how I can make my V10 as good as it was sold to me at the VZ store. I am of course a former ip6 user and this is only my 2nd droid. Coming prior to the ip6 a gs4. IMO this V10 has way to many glitches. Battery life, FPS, upper left of screen is DEAD, back button does not work. I mean all I really find amazing is the camera and Im not a big photo junkie. Default settings are all i ever use. I hear so many good things about this phone on here and no one complains about the issues. Is it Droid lovers just move past them? Or are there fixes for these issues?Can some one help me show more love for this thing please?
After reading a number of forums this issue is because of a bad Facebook messenger update. The code allows the messenger app to write (appear) over all other apps but they accidentally made an invisible rectangle in the upper left corner. This isn't an lg specific problem. I forget what the fix is..probably removing messenger is best for everyone =P. For battery life just use the auto dim feature and turn off auto syncing on most of your apps. I turn data off or put my phone in airplane mode in areas I don't have service but that's just out of habit. My battery always lasts a whole day with a decent amount of OST (4-5 hrs). No phone is going to be amazing right out of the box. Androids are great because you can optimize them in such a way that your phone becomes efficient and adapted towards YOUR personal needs.. which makes them amazing. Hope this helps.

Also glad to see this post, this phone needs more love but I appreciate LG not being too pushy with their marketing..means less people will have this awesome phone and ours will stand out. Plus anyone who has the needs that this phone satisfies is probably doing their research anyways..

Off to the store..hopefully I'm back in a month when I miss the V10!

Reactions: Lateck and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I can only give an overwhelmingly positive review of my V10. I've had mine since mid November and got the LG promotion that included the battery, charging cradle and 200GB microSD card.

I came from a Note 3 that I used for just over 2 years and could have almost called myself a Samsung Fanboy because that is a fantastic device for it's time and really for people still using the Note 3 it's not too bad. I was 99.9% sure I would get the Note 5 when it came out but Samsung lost me. Taking away the necessary and key features of removable battery, microSD card and IR blaster were deal breakers for me.

So when the V10 was announced I was quite happy that there was a company out there NOT trying to emulate the fruit company.

Not only does it have the features that are non-negotiable to me that Samsung took away but it excels as a flagship device.

I was wondering what I would think of the screen coming from a Samsung AMOLED and I was pleasantly surprised to read early reviews that this LCD held it's own in comparison. There was even a reviewer that dug into the device before reading the specs and thought the V10 did have an AMOLED.

Battery life for me has been great. On a normal day I will have between 40-45% battery life at the end of the night when I go to charge. I have had heavy-usage days where I got to less than 10% but with an extra battery, if that were to happen when I still need to use the phone I would still be good. Plus if you throw it on the charger in the middle of the day for even 30 minutes you can get another 20-30% charge out of it.

The second screen is convenient for some quick launching capabilities and to receive calls when the device is in use.

The camera comes highly rated and in real-world usage I feel like I get high quality shots with this stock camera, even with the Auto settings.

I didn't know if I would get use to the buttons on the back of the device but now that I have I think it's genius. Like, how did I function with side buttons before!? HAHA

The build quality feels superior and you know you have a tough device when you hold it in your hand. I don't feel like it's too big at all. I can still perform operations one-handed when needed.

After the Verizon Marshmallow update I haven't noticed any big differences, either good or bad. Particularly my battery life has stayed the same.

So, I am quite happy with the V10 and absolutely would recommend it to someone looking for a new device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had the V10 for almost a week and I (censored) love it. I really needed the bigger screen. Crazy to think a 5" screen is a small screen. Heck, I remember when I got the GS2 and thought that was huge.

Anyways, the V10 screen looks great, I like how things look in multitasking, the "second screen" is a pretty neat idea, with and without headphones it rocks, super fast performance, battery lasts quite a while and charges fast. Even with the internal storage, having the option of using an external SD is a must. The option to replace the battery is also a must specially if you're in the middle of nowhere and I commend LG for including a spare.

The stock non carrier Lollipop rom works pretty neat. I tried MM but even with a clean flash the phone overheated and the battery drained pretty quick.

I agree it deserves more love, but on the other hand it's kinda cool distinguish yourself from the crowd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones