• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why So Many Apps Running?

steveo42

Feb 22, 2012
According to Go Launcher I have 14 Apps running, some of which are normal (Weather, Volume etc) but why:

Social Network
Settings
Lookup (Lotus Notes Traveler)
Apps (The little shopping cart)
MyMusic
Voicemail
My Verizon Moto
Play Store
Apps

I'm not using any of these so why are they running?
My meter is always up in the Red zone....

hi ya'll, new here.... getting my Razr Maxx tomorrow.

to mitigate the running apps issue, on my old Droid i used Advanced Task Killer app, and Quick Task Killer & Quick Cache Cleaner widgets (i do not mess with rooting phones); i'm assuming we can use them on this phone too.

of course this doesn't get rid of the bloatware, but you can easily kill all tasks/dump the cache frequently, to stop the running apps & and avoid the red meter/memory clogging.

for experienced Maxx users, is there any reason why I should not be using those same apps & widgets with the Maxx? thanks!

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to run those task killer apps unless there's a process that has hanged and you do not wish to power cycle your phone. In fact, if you tried to kill some of them, they will simply be restarted back some lower level background process/service, wasting more battery life. Android's memory management should be capable of managing your memory.

The only concern about the bloatware should be how much radio and CPU resources they use from a battery life point of view. For example, social network uses GPS and performs background sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones