Why some people should buy in store vs BB/OnlineGeneral

Last Updated:

1. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The title should read

"why some people may want to think about buying in store vs pre-ordering from BB or VZW Online" But that would be too long.

The reason is because when you purchase in store, they transfer your contacts for you. Now, i'm not sure about BB (Maybe someone can fill us in on this) but if you get it delivered to your house, then you're going to have to transfer your own contacts to your new phone. (as well as set up a gmail acct but thats no biggie as the phone walks you through it..very easy).

If you dont have very many contacts in your old phone or are saavy/brave enough to do this yourself, then pre-ordering is fine.

But for those who have tons of contacts and cringe at the thought of managing their phones through their computers will probably just want to let Verizon do it for you.

For those who want to do it themselves, the process isnt terribly scary or difficult, and is pretty well documented on this site (and in the users manual we've all had for a week now), but the hardest part would be getting contacts OFF your old phone.

The process would be

- Install software for old phone on computer (if you have/can find it)
    - Export contacts from old phone to file (.csv)
    - Import to Gmail Account (Contacts -> Import -> Browse for File -> Find .csv -> Click Import)

Then your phone will automatically download your contacts from Gmail.

Of course, you could install the software for the HTC Sync software on your computer and do it that way, but i find the Gmail way much easier.

Just something to think about. And a little preemptive strike by me, as i can gaurantee you the biggest thread in this forum on 4/30 will be "How to get contacts from Old phone to Incredible?"

For me, i'll be pre-ordering and having it delivered. Instant rebate applied, no having to go to mall, and all my contacts are already in my Gmail acct from having had a Droid Eris.

Advertisement
  2. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

Just backup your contacts to the Verizon website. It's free and pretty easy. I did it with my EnV2 and then synced it to my gmail. All set to go for the Incredible.

phorts likes this.
  3. Joker35

Joker35 Member

Best Buy is doing the in store pre-order. the employee at BB said they transfer over the contacts right there in store.

phorts likes this.
  4. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

That's true. Luckily I only have about 15 contacts.

5. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good to know - thank you.

I never though about that. Good call. Still some may want to not be bothered by this and to just let the kind folks at BB/Verizon do the transfer for them.

Again, i used the words "some people" because I beleive this will be a minority since most future Incredible users are, or will become tech saavy enough to handle this process.

Just a thought.

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Something else to think about depending on what your old phone was...

If you old contacts are a mess(missing first,last name, mobile/work numbers all mixed together) you might want to consider this a good time to clean them up.

Create a gmail account, and enter everything yourself, this will allow you to "clean-up", combine e-mails/phones/addresses,etc into one nice list. get rid of duplicates and possibly remove old bad entries...

then when you get your new phone, enter your account and sync it all nice and neat :)

I started using gmail contacts about 3 months ago, when I started going through the contacts they were a mess on my old phone...

nice thing about this is you can do it now so you don't have to when you get your phone :p

7. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

how do you backup your contacts on the verizon website, where do I go?

8. MathewS81

MathewS81 Well-Known Member

Sign into your account and then go to "My Services" at the top. There should be a "Contacts" section. It has the backup assistant there.

slumpey likes this.
  9. emmur0

emmur0 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Google Sync will work on the Incredible as well.

10. jacobsen23

jacobsen23 Active Member

11. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

BB has instant rebates vs mail in too

12. Kyreba

Kyreba Active Member

Oh cool! I didn't know you could do this. I opened a gamil acct a month ago in prep for the phone but it has just been sitting there.

Frankly I don't trust the VZW store reps after the fried my last phone. Then I just found out they turned off the backup assistant & no one can figure out how to get it back on! Idiots!

Good to know I can start re-entering by hand now. Thanks for the help.

This forum is waaaaaay more knowledgable than any rep I've met in a store.

13. Zaggs

Zaggs Well-Known Member

You can't do a 1 year contract renewal at Best Buy though. Thats far more important to me then transferring contacts.

14. Iowagriz

Iowagriz Member

I pre-ordered online becuase I didn't want the schmucks in my local Verizon store to get credit for the sale. Rarely helpful, usually condescending. Besides, I did all the research and selling of myself on this phone.

15. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

as long as your going from one android phone to another, your contacts will be automatically synced. If not, you can bring it to the store to get it synced

16. Wotan

Wotan Active Member

This is EXACTLY what I have done, for the same reasons.

17. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy transferring the contacts myself...sometimes I do them all manually just to have more reason to play with my phone...I dunno...maybe it's just me...

18. GlockGuy80

GlockGuy80 Well-Known Member

I am going to buy it from Verizon on the 29th @ store opening (9am). The thing I am not looking forward to is having the careless verizon employees messing with my incredible.