• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why, storage, WHYYY????

funkylogik

share the love peeps ;)
Sep 15, 2011
Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
So i did a full factory reset (from settings menu) like a week ago because i was getting low memory messages.
Ended up with 7GB free internal memory after restoring my apps, great.
I havent installed any more apps or added many downloads to internal storage since and now look.... uploadfromtaptalk1385375308232.jpguploadfromtaptalk1385375329687.jpg
:thinking::thinking::thinking:
I really dont understand android storage lol.
Ok ive been going between 4.4 and 4.3 but i thought the storage mess had ended by now? :beer:

So i did a full factory reset (from settings menu) like a week ago because i was getting low memory messages.
Ended up with 7GB free internal memory after restoring my apps, great.
I havent installed any more apps or added many downloads to internal storage since and now look.... View attachment 64696View attachment 64697
:thinking::thinking::thinking:
I really dont understand android storage lol.
Ok ive been going between 4.4 and 4.3 but i thought the storage mess had ended by now? :beer:

Try this:

If you use Philz recovery there you can goto > mounts and Storage Menu > scroll down to "format section" and start going through the format cache, followed by /system, /data, /preload and finally /sdcard (which is your inter built-in card) - beware, it will blitz your device and nothing, except the content of your external SD-card will be left. You'll have a super clean device ready for installing any ROM you like. Then, you'll also have only one "0" partition/folder.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What recovery are you using for flashing stuff at the mo? I'd check you don't have a load of 0 folders repeated below the only one you should have I.e. data/media/0. Older recoveries can continuously create a new 0 folder every time you flash a ROM. Other thing to check is make sure you don't have a load of stuff that's somehow been put in data/media - or was left in there when you first jumped to 4.2 or later.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Lol read your reply on my other thread Heat mate cheers.
Just now im using the latest CWM because ive been messing with kitkat roms but before that i was on Philz (i prefer Philz but (unless theres a recent update) it doesnt seem to like kitkat lol.

Gona go through all these replies properly tomorrow n get this filthy phone cleaned up all nice n golden :):beer:

Ps i only have one /0 :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Lol read your reply on my other thread Heat mate cheers.
Just now im using the latest CWM because ive been messing with kitkat roms but before that i was on Philz (i prefer Philz but (unless theres a recent update) it doesnt seem to like kitkat lol.

Gona go through all these replies properly tomorrow n get this filthy phone cleaned up all nice n golden :):beer:

Ps i only have one /0 :)

The latest version is 6.00.0 - I only used v5.15.0 which worked fine, but I guess you should use 6 - Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Upvote 0
Thats what i did man. A lot of peeps i chat to use apps for flashin' recoveries. i only use them for fonts :)
..and boot animations

In my experience using apps for anything relating systems level changes on your device is always risky, as they require a perfect setup to work faultlessly - this is hardly ever the case. Just think, when you flash a recovery you need to really be in a controlled pre-boot environment to keep data exchange as simple as possible. In my humble opinion anyway. For me its always recovery flash, Odin or adb connection with my PC.

Upvote 0
The problem i think with people using apps to flash roms etc is when somethin goes wrong, theyre clueless.
Im glad Google have pulled the Cyanogen Installer from Play. I was just waiting for the inpour of people here stuck in bootloops or worse lol!

Yes, too right. I am one of these people who bought Titanium Pro shortly after rooting for the first, so time ago. I used it twice and each time it made a horrible mess of my ROM after flashing. What I learned from this was to 1. keep Nandroids (backup images) and 2. develop a methodology to speed up your setup after a clean flash/install. That way you hardly ever have any problems, as everything is getting to where you were with your previous before you decided to update, but with the pleasure of running the latest and greatest.

I have various tools that make it easy to speed up entering passwords for my many accounts and I keep backups of important apps settings (the good ones like ES File Manager have that inbuilt ;)) and I mirror them to my external SD, just in case.

So although it sounds, and probably is, a little more longwinded, however, I saved much blood, sweat and tears that can be had with these apps. Haven't used Titanium now for 18 months, except to uninstall useless system apps, for which it is brilliant. :D

Upvote 0
So after a clean flash, how do you restore apps bro? Ive heard of people just restoring the data part of a nandroid but surely that isnt "clean" and defeats the purpose of a data wipe?
TiBu hasnt let me down yet but MyBackup Pro did when i really needed it lol :)

Know what you mean about inbuilt settings backup btw. Nova is another good example.. and Light Flow :)

Upvote 0
So after a clean flash, how do you restore apps bro? Ive heard of people just restoring the data part of a nandroid but surely that isnt "clean" and defeats the purpose of a data wipe?
TiBu hasnt let me down yet but MyBackup Pro did when i really needed it lol :)

Know what you mean about inbuilt settings backup btw. Nova is another good example.. and Light Flow :)

Yes, you're right, there are several excellent apps out there with this backup functionality that make the job a lot easier and you still have a clean System folder with no chance of corruption. Although here and there can be a little snag, for example on my Note 2 I flashed a super ROM based on the latest JB 4.3 release with about 90% of Note 3 apps and functions ported (why bother upgrading to a Note 3 you ask yourself :D).

Anyway, the snag was that I restored my ES File Manager backup, which I took when running the JB 4.1.2 ROM, that has all settings in it, including r-w-x access rights to root and so on. Well, I could not get to the root. Uninstalled, reinstalled, clear caches and still nothing.

Then I tried again with the app cache and data cleared and setup the whole thing from scratch (5 minutes) and guess what, it bloody worked. It then became obvious that the problem was due to the new system partition layouts. :eek:

To answer your question, it typically takes me about an hour from start to finish, but then I have the best possible foundation to give them ROM of my choice a good foundation and most of the time it works perfectly. But this is my preferred method, after all, you'll run a ROM for a few weeks or months or intend to use it as a daily driver, then you have to make the best effort to get it right - me thinks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones