Why the Nexus 5General

1. gjkiii

gjkiii Well-Known Member

I was thinking of buying it soI went took a look at this phone in a tmobile store. It is about vanilla a phone as far as features goes that I have seen in a while. What am i missing that makes this phone so popular (besides the price)? Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I'm betting the good members here will be more than happy to share the assists of the Nexus 5 with you.
  3. krs128

krs128 Well-Known Member

answered it right there. It is pure Android, no TouchWiz, no HTC Sense, no what ever LG's is called.
    Covert_Death and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. Drew1100

Drew1100 Member

+1
  5. HanSolo

HanSolo Well-Known Member

Plus it's the most customizable phone in the world because it has the most dev support (I could be wrong about "most dev support", but there are a TON of roms for it now and there will only be more. . . You can unlock the bootloader, root it, and install a custom recovery in about 8 minutes).

If you are not into flashing roms, kernels, etc., then I would suggest the G2. It's similar in hardware, has a slightly bigger screen, and I happen to like the UI.

I jumped from the G2 to the Nexus 5 because I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I've flashed a very nice, fast rom on it and it's great.
  6. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Another big benefit is that Google keeps Nexus devices up to date in case you don't want to flash custom rom and kernels. Every Nexus device released this year or last year has 4.4 available for it, though some are still waiting to receive their OTA update. Almost every other line of devices out there are running 4.3 or older.
  7. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

• Not locked by carriers - so you can switch between most large US based carriers (except Verizon), and overseas by just swapping the SIM card.
    • Unlocking the bootloader and rooting is not complicated.
    • All android features are available (example: lock screen widgets are available even on pin/password locked screens - unlike on the Galaxy S4)
    • Cheaper (off-contract pricing)
    • No bloat - so even without rooting, you install what you want, and don't install stuff you don't want (except core google apps that are bundled)
  8. Ranhead

Ranhead Well-Known Member

I root phones immediately (it's mine and I want control of it). But for me, this phone is ALL about price. You cannot touch an unlocked phone with these specs anywhere.

BTW ..... vanilla is great. I want a phone my way, not some manufactures way. :D
  9. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

After years of owning phones from samsung and htc, I have grown so tired of them lagging and slowing down after an inevitable amount of time no matter how careful I am with what apps i install etc. And the amount of problems I've encounterd from samsung phones when they update the os.

Last year, I bought a nexus 4 and no matter what I throw at it, it runs as fast and smooth as the first day I bought it.

So me buying a nexus 5 was a natural progression. Without sounding like an apple fanboy, it just works :)
    DMajor239 and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

For me, its all about running vanilla android and TONS of developer support.

Nexus devices are a rooters dream.
  11. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

For me because of updates
  12. 4ubest

4ubest Well-Known Member

I unlocked the bootloader, rooted my phone , busybox, titanium, SU, and installed a recovery on it but I do not know how to get the camera and sound mods installed. I do not know where on the internal storage the .apk files are.. Do you know of any simple videos that will show how to do these things? Alternatively any other sources that you know that might help this old newbie?